B&W sensor only?-- Merged--

sblitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No, I would like the option to shoot both colour and black and white.

Don't forget there is a lot of information in the image colour that can be utilised in your black and white processing. I would think the individual colour sliders in Lightroom's HSL panel would act a lot differently with a b&w sensor than with the normal colour sensor. I'm no expert in this field, but it is just what I would expect.

Do black and white sensors exist really?

Yes, Phase One do one, see: Rumor: the next Leica M camera will have a black and white sensor | Leica News & Rumors

Edited by OwinThomas
  • Like 1

I think it's a good idea if the IQ is much better than for a color sensor.

I took some pictures with the M7 b&w film and M9 color at the same time and I'm surprised by the level of detail in the b&w film, the M9 looks flat when comparing pictures shot at the same time/place..

^^ I dont see why not. It would surely mean much denser sensors as you would do away with the RGB photo sites and just have one that would only be concerned with black to white. It would be crazy to release a monochrome camera in this day and age when you have software like Silver Efex Pro 2. But leica are a bit of a crazy company.

As spec'ed out in Leica Rumors, yes if:

- significantly cheaper than an M9.

- and bw output is better than bw coming from the M9.

I'd risk not having an LCD (being the nonpurist that i am) if those two conditions were met.

But I'd rather have Epson put out a dedicated bw printer.

After converting images in Silver Effex Pro I frequently use the colour sensitivity sliders to add impact. Output from a monochrome sensor would preclude me from doing this and, as a result I believe my images would suffer. That makes me a "no".

My 0.02c

When the rumors of the M9 were flying, I had suggested a B&W M based on Tri-X. The current sensors has too limited DR. A few f-stops greater range would be nice, and eliminate the need for HDR

The lack of LCD would be a concern, for manual selections of lens, battery, etc.

My bet... it's an April fools joke...

But Yes I would. It's either that or an MP...

Edited by swamiji

After converting images in Silver Effex Pro I frequently use the colour sensitivity sliders to add impact. Output from a monochrome sensor would preclude me from doing this and, as a result I believe my images would suffer. That makes me a "no"...

+1

I think it's a good idea if the IQ is much better than for a color sensor.

I took some pictures with the M7 b&w film and M9 color at the same time and I'm surprised by the level of detail in the b&w film, the M9 looks flat when comparing pictures shot at the same time/place..

It really depends on the postprocessing...

If Leica were able to implement enough processing power in a camera to output really good B&W files alongside good JPGs it would be very helpful.

• Like 1