The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

B&W sensor only?-- Merged--

digital camera leica m 9 vollformat

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 sblitz

sblitz

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 3,050 posts
  • City / Ort:new york

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:26

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
FWIW -- Rumor: the next Leica M camera will have a black and white sensor | Leica News & Rumors

#2 Leicanier

Leicanier

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • City / Ort:Berlin

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:30

Rumor: the next Leica M camera will have a black and white sensor | Leica News & Rumors
Gruß Klaus

KDKPHOTO

Twitter

Es ist nicht wichtig zu fotografieren wie es aussieht, sondern so zu fotografieren, wie es sich anfühlt. (David Alan Harvey)

#3 Keith (M)

Keith (M)

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,293 posts
  • City / Ort:N Wilts UK

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:33

Black & White? As the 'sensor' is not a Kodak one, clearly it must be an Ilford one! :P
  • petervc, mmradman and Giacomo.B said thank you to this

#4 viramati

viramati

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 4,254 posts
  • City / Ort:London

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:38

like let's get back to reality!!
  • bill, jaapv, andybarton and 5 others said thank you
David

www.dpsampson.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/viramati/

#5 pico

pico

Sponsoring Member

• Members
  • 9,941 posts
  • LocationDriftless Area Minnesota USA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:48

Well, that's a little crazy. No Bayer filter. Sharper? Greater resolution (4x18?)

I wonder if it has an IR sensor cover. Will one use conventional B&W contrast filters with it?

Or is it just another WAG rumor.

#6 Vlad

Vlad

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:49

I think it's feasible.
M9-P Black, M6 Classic, M7 Edition Hermes
24 3.5 ~ 35 Cron Pre-ASPH ~ 28 Elmarit ~ 35 Lux ASPH FLE ~ 50 Lux ASPH

#7 Royal_Corona

Royal_Corona

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • City / Ort:München

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:53

And to develop the pictures one has to shake the camera in given intervals depending on ISO ;)

Mike
  • microview, squarenegs, robnik and 1 other said thank you

#8 dave_d

dave_d

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • City / Ort:Rochester, NY USA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:54

Without the RGB color Bayer filters over the sensor I imagine the camera would have a higher usuable ISO. Any thoughts?

#9 Sp12

Sp12

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 23:18

XD Let's get rid of every advantage of digital capture while simultaneously avoiding the fact that the M9's LCD is subpar.

#10 adan

adan

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 5,816 posts
  • City / Ort:Denver

Posted 14 March 2012 - 23:22

Me, I'm a color guy. Especially with digital. I do some B&W conversion, but I'm not about to work with a B&W-only camera.

But a monochrome sensor does offer the advantage of no color filters (which do reduce the available light, as dave_d mentions, by close to two stops). And for Leica, it does away with the headache of "red edge" and "cyan drift" and such. Uncoded or especially troublesome wide-angles like the 21mm Super-Angulons or some of the C/V wides would gain a new lease on life, for those who do only do B&W. It would indeed also require less IR filtering (but not zero - see LL review below), but would still need some kind of protective glass cover over the silicon.

Kodak made monochrome versions of a couple of their SLRs over the past two decades, including their very first DCS-100.

Kodak DCS 100
Kodak 760m Review

They were niche products and still didn't sell very well.

But Leica's "niche" is niches. A "special edition" by which they can suck an extra $5000 out of buyers is right up their alley.
  • india and Jim-St said thank you to this

#11 IkarusJohn

IkarusJohn

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationAuckland
  • City / Ort:Auckland

Posted 14 March 2012 - 23:55

It will be right up there with the Foveon sensor SD-1
Modern Art = I could do that + yeah, but you didn't

#12 Jim-St

Jim-St

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • City / Ort:Scottish Highlands

Posted 15 March 2012 - 00:44

Me, I'm a color guy. Especially with digital. I do some B&W conversion, but I'm not about to work with a B&W-only camera.

But a monochrome sensor does offer the advantage of no color filters (which do reduce the available light, as dave_d mentions, by close to two stops). And for Leica, it does away with the headache of "red edge" and "cyan drift" and such. Uncoded or especially troublesome wide-angles like the 21mm Super-Angulons or some of the C/V wides would gain a new lease on life, for those who do only do B&W. It would indeed also require less IR filtering (but not zero - see LL review below), but would still need some kind of protective glass cover over the silicon.

Kodak made monochrome versions of a couple of their SLRs over the past two decades, including their very first DCS-100.

Kodak DCS 100
Kodak 760m Review

They were niche products and still didn't sell very well.

But Leica's "niche" is niches. A "special edition" by which they can suck an extra $5000 out of buyers is right up their alley.

I can see all that. Plus getting rid of that pesky protruding LCD that needs sapphire armouring would make some sense. And probably more Leica-shots end up b&w than Canonikons and such. So maybe. There's a niche there, esp as a second camera for M9-owners

Maybe not my niche, but if I think about it long enough, maybe, just maybe... oh heck. Hard not to want it. Maybe best it doesn't happen...

Jim

#13 algrove

algrove

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:33

This is what Leica Rumors has just put up on their site. Apparently May 12th is the date according to this Rumor site. Why would you want an expensive camera that cannot take color photographs? Let's hear it.

#14 jdlaing

jdlaing

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • City / Ort:The Republic of Texas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:19

This is what Leica Rumors has just put up on their site. Apparently May 12th is the date according to this Rumor site. Why would you want an expensive camera that cannot take color photographs? Let's hear it.

I wouldn't.

#15 maurometallo

maurometallo

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,507 posts
  • City / Ort:Toronto

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:38

Yes. Most definetely.
Kind Regards,
Mauro.

M4-P; Summicron-M 1:2/50
http://maurometallo.wordpress.com/

#16 davidbaddley

davidbaddley

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:10

I did. In fact, I bought two, the M6 and MP. I like the M9 best for color, but I still prefer film for black & white.

#17 Ib M

Ib M

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:40

It sounds really interesting and I would just be interested in such a version of M10, but is included in the div. threads to see if it is a real bid for an upgrade, or it is a good "1 april joke"

Ib M - Ipad

#18 La Morte

La Morte

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • City / Ort:Johannesburg

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:02

If they weren't as expensive as the M9, yes. But if the price is the same, NO! With the price as it is I still want the best with the most futures possible.

Streamlight Photography

#19 jaques

jaques

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:43

if this rumor is true- I would expect it will be a limited edition camera and stupidly expensive. I wouldn't buy it..

#20 menos I M6

menos I M6

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,570 posts
  • LocationChina

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:45

Yes. Most definetely.

+1

… without thinking twice … or long, that is

My M8.2 is currently a B&W only M.
My M9 is probably a 99% B&W M,

While my film M cameras are all B&W only.

In fact, the little film, I find myself buying in color languishes in the fridge, reaching expiration, while I can't re stock on B&W as fast, as I shoot.

A B&W only digital M, that meters and shoots to ISO6400, as the film M's before it used to do is a no brainer and instant buy for me.
  • verybusypeople likes this
Dirk | teknopunk.com | 500px | flickr | facebook

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: digital camera, leica m 9, vollformat

0 user(s) are reading this topic