The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Leica announcement May 10th.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1240 replies to this topic

#1 bpalme

bpalme

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • City / Ort:Dallas , TX

Posted 14 March 2012 - 16:42

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
New Leica Announcement May 10th 2012! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

#2 Rick

Rick

Photograper

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 16:50

May 10th = M10 :D:D:D
  • Jamie Roberts, pico, phancj and 3 others said thank you

#3 FrozenInTime

FrozenInTime

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • City / Ort:Norcal

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:01

Just typical - the very day my M9P arrives, news of it's obsolescence is leaked.
I knew that day would come ... but I thought they would have been graceful enough to leave it till September.

So Photokina has so many new lens announcements that the need to launch the X2 and M10 earlier :rolleyes:

Or perhaps they are just fooling with us and it's just the expected X2 and S promotion - we are reading too much into the date.

#4 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 38,915 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:10

Ah yes - I must do some planning. All M9s will stop working on May 10th:eek:. All shots I want to take must be before then...

Seriously: No panic. Most likely this will be to announce the specs of the new EVIL and some of the surprises Mr Kaufmann hinted at darkly.
I would not expect the M10 to be unveiled until the Photokina or shortly before, if indeed at all this year.
  • juergen and schmolinski said thank you to this
Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

#5 Rick

Rick

Photograper

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:28

jaapv, I have it from an inside source that the X1t (titanium) t is going to be announced, that's it. Seal will be there.
  • ynp and stephen.w said thank you to this

#6 k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 8,867 posts
  • City / Ort:The "Land of Enchantment"

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:41

:D :D :D
  • ynp said thank you to this
With best regards, K-H.

#7 johnbuckley

johnbuckley

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • City / Ort:Washington, D.C.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:42

So Leica is announcing a new camera on May 10th, according to the much maligned but quite helpful Steve Huff. Let's see... 9/9/09 and we got the M9... M10th and we get.... Fingers crossed. Thank you, Steve, for the tweet.

#8 luigi bertolotti

luigi bertolotti

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 10,138 posts
  • City / Ort:Brescia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:51

I'd bet a decent amount that , whatever it is, is NOT the announcement of a "M10"
  • mjh, stunsworth and stevelap said thank you to this

#9 luigi bertolotti

luigi bertolotti

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 10,138 posts
  • City / Ort:Brescia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:56

Ah yes - I must do some planning. All M9s will stop working on May 10th:eek:. All shots I want to take must be before then...

Seriously: No panic. Most likely this will be to announce the specs of the new EVIL and some of the surprises Mr Kaufmann hinted at darkly.
I would not expect the M10 to be unveiled until the Photokina or shortly before, if indeed at all this year.

I think this is a very right hipotesis... announcements of EVIL cameras have flooded in the last months... and if they have something about, better to speak of it NOW : a new M can always wait for the typical Photokina show... be it this year or not.

#10 Rick

Rick

Photograper

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:59

I'd bet a decent amount that , whatever it is, is NOT the announcement of a "M10"

I'd bet you are right. I would say that Leica has been working very hard at something to compete with the 4/3 like stuff that everyone else has announced and they are going to announce some vapor wear that won't be available for a little while but, it will keep their fans from jumping ship until they see the new Leica product. Probably the "whole range of product launches" will be the lenses to go with it. Then the M10 may come at Photokina?

But, you don't drag the whole world to Berlin if you don't have something big, right?

#11 Double Negative

Double Negative

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Validating
  • 1,717 posts
  • City / Ort:New York

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:15

Keep in mind - an "announcement" is different from a "release." Just sayin'
  • Lung7707 said thank you to this

#12 250swb

250swb

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 6,385 posts
  • LocationPeak District, United Kingdom
  • City / Ort:The Peak District, Derbyshire

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:15

Seal will be there.

Of course he will, he'll get a free ..insert camera name here... in his celebrity goody bag!

I think this is for the EVIL camera. It is a camera Leica really need to get on the market now or they will be left further behind. They don't need to get a new M10 out yet, not until sales start to flag. If they go down in anticipation of a new M, sales will go up again right after people hear its all about the EVIL thing.

Steve

#13 ghosh9691

ghosh9691

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:16

As long as it is not another Panasonic-badged Leica, I will be waiting eagerly...:)
  • kokoshawnuff said thank you to this

#14 Rick

Rick

Photograper

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:18

Ok, that last post of mine was a little pessimistic. How about this: Leica puts on an Applesque style product launch in Berlin where they unveil a X2, a new compact camera with a FF sensor that takes R-lenses, new S-camera and they bring Steve Jobs back to introduce the new M10. :P
  • menos I M6 said thank you to this

#15 johnbuckley

johnbuckley

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • City / Ort:Washington, D.C.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:19

Luigi - what do you consider "a decent amount"? Given the date, I think I'd be interested in taking the other side of that bet.
  • edinsiam and cooper99 said thank you to this

#16 pop

pop

• Moderators
  • 13,807 posts
  • LocationNear Basel
  • City / Ort:near Basel

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:42

It will be the "new M".
  • farnz and Jamie Roberts said thank you to this

Philipp

Beiträge in dieser blauen Schrift schreibe ich als Moderator. --
I use this blue typeface when I write in my function as a moderator.

#17 M9reno

M9reno

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 993 posts
  • City / Ort:Oxford, England

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:58

Given the date, I think I'd be interested in taking the other side of that bet.

I agree with this. M(ay)-10 seems a date too good to pass up. What is amazing, whether this forecast proves correct or not, is that Leica does not seem to care that people might perceive the imminent launch of a successor to the M9, and might therefore forego buying an M9, for the next 60 days. Surely not a question of inept marketing - after all, here we are discussing it! - but then what?
Al

#18 Vlad

Vlad

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:09

With obvious pressure from Fuji and Leica's previous release on a related date, it's safe to assume that May 10th will bring an M10.
M9-P Black, M6 Classic, M7 Edition Hermes
24 3.5 ~ 35 Cron Pre-ASPH ~ 28 Elmarit ~ 35 Lux ASPH FLE ~ 50 Lux ASPH

#19 digitalpowershot

digitalpowershot

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • City / Ort:Vienna, Austria

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:10

Quite interesting... Got my M9-P end of January... :)
Leica M9-P + Leica Summilux M 50mm f/1,4 ASPH

#20 digitalpowershot

digitalpowershot

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • City / Ort:Vienna, Austria

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:12

I agree with this. M(ay)-10 seems a date too good to pass up. What is amazing, whether this forecast proves correct or not, is that Leica does not seem to care that people might perceive the imminent launch of a successor to the M9, and might therefore forego buying an M9, for the next 60 days. Surely not a question of inept marketing - after all, here we are discussing it! - but then what?

Didn't do Apple the same with "the new iPad"? ;)
  • wooch said thank you to this
Leica M9-P + Leica Summilux M 50mm f/1,4 ASPH

0 user(s) are reading this topic