Has Leica ever make a bad lens?

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A non-coated Summitar 2/50 will ruin your pictures with its tendency to flare more often then you would like.

Ulrik

As a owner of a pre-war Summitar 2.0 I must agree.

All the Elmar, Elmarit lenses are not exceptional and even my Summaron f2.8 is not that great.

As a owner of a pre-war Summitar 2.0 I must agree.

All the Elmar, Elmarit lenses are not exceptional and even my Summaron f2.8 is not that great.

Sorry the first 3 generations M 28's, the word first slipped me. Still IMHO , most Elmarit 28's including newer versions do not have a typical Leica fingerprint

I would argue the current Elmarit ASPH 28mm is quite exceptional. It is sharper in the centre than the 28mm Summicron and has lower distortion, otherwise the rendering and colour is quite similar.

Edited by Mornnb

[...] the current Elmarit ASPH 28mm is quite exceptional. It is sharper in the centre than the 28mm Summicron and has lower distortion [...]

It is not my experience i must say. I own both lenses and find them quite similar as far as sharpness and distortion. May i ask how you found such a difference? Just curious.

Flare and Fragrance. 

[Pre-War Summitar [1939] on IIIg.]

Some will say the picture is ruined by flare (which could have been easily avoided by the correct equipment).

For me it shows a unique old uncoated Summitar Rendering on a hot summers day.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Strange how people's experiences differ, I have been happy with my Elmarit 90 (I assume you mean the long one with the detachable head) since buying it in '68. And recent 'tests' on the A7 show it to be better at 2.8 than my Nikkor 85/1.8 and only marginally bettered by the 75mm Heliar 2.5.

Gerry