CV 15mm

rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see a number of threads on the 12mm but not much on the 15mm. Is this a good lens for the M9. I read somewhere about red edges but has this not been corrected with the latest firmware?

Also would the LTM to M mount be OK (I understand the the newer M mount is rangefinder coupled whereas the older LTM mount is not and have vague distance markers).

I read the review by Ken Rockwell and he seems to give this a glowing review with a caveat (not suitable for M9). Sean Reid seems to have given a more objective view.

Edited by rramesh

The CV 15 Heliar is a nice little lens, but definitely exhibits pronounced red edge on the M9 and requires Cornerfix post processing in most cases. Leica does not tailor their firmware to correct issues with 3rd party lenses, and there is a marked difference in the out of camera results with this lens vs the WATE at 16mm, which, in my experience, has no red edge issues.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago and for the price it is an excellent lens. But you must use Cornerfix or similar and there is also some distortion that you should correct for if you do landscape. But the distortion is small, it took a while before I noticed it, it is very easy to correct. I have coded mine as WATE (16). Recommended.

• Like 2