Both the 50mm Summilux and Noctilux 0.95?

Agent M10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You'll hear it often - as you're hearing it here - "... never sell a Leica lens." There's more than a hint of wisdom in that axiom, particularly given how difficult it is to get most Leica glass today. The exception being true economic necessity, of course...

I bought my Noctilux eight years ago. I used it intermittently that first year, never really bonding with it. After that it mostly sat on the shelf.

It wasn't until late 2009, when I received my M9, that I picked it up again. It was only then I discovered that my copy was back-focusing - the reason my previous results with it had been hit or miss.

Own the Night

After getting that addressed, it became one of my favorite lenses. For six months it didn't leave the front of my M9. Today it receives co-equal time with my Summilux 50/ASPH. Those two lenses remain my number one tandem: the Lux my primary daylight, outdoor lens; the Noct my primary nighttime, indoor lens. Because they are the same focal length, "seeing" remains the same. Only the extra stop of the Noct and the unique signatures of the two lenses arbit they're use.

I'm left with one dilemma... the joy of my Noct is in full bloom only at f1. It certainly is a workable lens at other apertures, of course. But its unique qualities quickly begin to fall away as you stop it down. Frankly, at higher apertures I'd just as soon use my Summilux (or my 50 Summicron, if I still want to retain the Mandler look).

The new f0.95 Noct solves that, neatly marrying the signature and optical excellence of the Summilux with the speed of the Noct. And giving rise to your very understandable question.

My answer would be that you could get by with just the Noct. But the handling advantage of the Summilux is not trivial. And so I'd keep them both.

And, in fact, that's just what I intend to do one day - adding the new Noct. I'm thinking that would make a wonderful retirement gift to myself.

That would give me four 50's to choose between. A nice problem to have, if you ask me... ;-)

Well said and you read my mind. Thanks for putting it better than I ever could.

Perhaps there has been a batch of Noctiluxes (Noctilae?) just finished - I've just been told mine should arrive next week. I paid for it this afternoon, luckily at the old price, due to my long standing order ...

My slush fund is empty, and hopefully this is the end of my GAS attack - there's not much more that I need, frankly.

Next week is going to be fun!

Edited by IkarusJohn