Hi Leica Users, I would like your opinion on...

Linkasf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One more question, I've been trying to understand what is range finder? Is it best on Leica cameras (that use the function) or are there other brands that are comparable?

see...

Rangefinder camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/rangefinder-vs-slr.htm

John

Edit- One more question, I've been trying to understand what is range finder? Is it best on Leica cameras (that use the function) or are there other brands that are comparable?

Well, let's go down to the basics. With most current cameras, focusing is done by assessing the image formed by the lens. Is it sharp or no? The original way is still used by large format cameras and their users: The image is formed on a matte screen, and the photographer, a black cloth over his head, twiddles the focusing until he is satisfied. Single-lens reflex cameras (SLRs, analog or digital) use a more convenient variety of the method. Nowadays it is usually not the photog but some live-in digital imps that do the assessing, and then they auto-focus the lens. Other cameras measure the image directly on the sensor.

The Leica M is not an autofocus camera. You do the focusing. You set the focus by measuring the distance to the subject by means of a double-image rangefinder, a miniature of those that were once carried by battleships. You turn the lense's focusing ring until the two images coincide, for the rangefinder is coupled to the lens – but it does not measure through the lens but through the rangefinder which lives under the top deck of the camera. You decide what to focus on. You also decide what aperture you are going to use, because you set it yourself. There are some imps (German, not Japanese) that will set the shutter speed for you, thus deciding the exposure, if you prefer it that way, but you can go completely manual if you like that better.

So a Leica M is a stick-shift camera, and you have to know what you are doing. If you don't, and don't feel like learning the ropes, a Leica M is not for you. Leica Camera AG has forsaken the bling market and builds cameras for serious users. If on the other hand, you do want to become a photographer, as distinct from a camera owner or a camera carrier, a used Leica M can be a fine starting point – and so would any old film SLR camera, for that matter.

LB

• Like 1

This is a good anlaysis of Lieca Vs top end SLR from a photograper's perspective

What are you talking about? What is a Lieca V? And please, a M is NOT a 'SLR' because it is not a reflex camera. I first surmised this to be a discussion of the S2, which is one, but that guy is actually talking about a Leica M9.

LB

Crikey two tippo's nd I'm done for :eek:

Yes should have been vs show for versus

I can spell Leica just typed a little quick :cool: The youtube is indeed a Leica M9 versus SLR, DSLR to be accurate or digital single lens reflex if that is not clear.

Sorry if I confused anyone and apologies for the typo's ...................

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a good anlaysis of Lieca Vs top end SLR from a photograper's perspective

Thanks! that video cleared a few things up! I can see that Leica cameras (or specifically the M-9) is a straight to the point sort of camera where everything you'd want on a camera is there, but lacks the hundreds of special features available on other cameras at a similar price range. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Well the reason I'm asking is that I know that Canon, Nikon, Sony are easily brands that come to mind when buying cameras. I want to know what would make one buy a Leica, which is an amazing German brand, against those Japanese brands? I can imagine maybe it's because of some extra features here and there, but I want to know what defines the Leica experience? I really love the old designs of the Leica cameras that I've looked into recently, but I want to know what makes it worth the price Vs lets say a high ended Nikon. Like how much difference in the resolution would make one camera superior to the other.... I wish I could give examples of such camera versus such camera, but I'm really new to this :confused:.

And yes I understand why you would mention cars in this, and I totally agree with you. But I want to know, what is a major factor that would get one to buy a Leica over let's say a Canon.

Thanks again!

My reasons, in no particular order are:

- Small size/highly portable/great to travel with

- Outstanding low light performance without flash

- Whisper quiet shutter operation

- Durability

- Reliability

- Discreet/low profile

- Easy to use

- Intuitive operation

- Unequaled optical superiority in 35mm

- Backward compatibility of M mount lenses/bodies

- No planned obsolescence

- Quality of results produced (negatives, chromes, prints)

- M cameras and lenses appreciate in value rather than depreciate in value

- No shutter lag (film M's anyway)

- No autofocus to struggle with in low light

- 18mm through 135mm lens selection covers 90% or more of photographic situations

- An M kit is lighter and easier to carry than a comparable DSLR or medium format kit

- Better results when hand holding slow shutter speeds than a SLR camera

- Not as intimidating to subjects as a large SLR or medium format camera

- Rangefinder photography is a more enjoyable process (for me) than is SLR photography

For me, M photography is about process, performance, reliability and results - and most of all, about enjoying the process of making photographs.

• Like 1

My reasons, in no particular order are:

- Small size/highly portable/great to travel with

- Outstanding low light performance without flash

- Whisper quiet shutter operation

- Durability

- Reliability

- Discreet/low profile

- Easy to use

- Intuitive operation

- Unequaled optical superiority in 35mm

- Backward compatibility of M mount lenses/bodies

- No planned obsolescence

- Quality of results produced (negatives, chromes, prints)

- M cameras and lenses appreciate in value rather than depreciate in value

- No shutter lag (film M's anyway)

- No autofocus to struggle with in low light

- 18mm through 135mm lens selection covers 90% or more of photographic situations

- An M kit is lighter and easier to carry than a comparable DSLR or medium format kit

- Better results when hand holding slow shutter speeds than a SLR camera

- Not as intimidating to subjects as a large SLR or medium format camera

- Rangefinder photography is a more enjoyable process (for me) than is SLR photography

For me, M photography is about process, performance, reliability and results - and most of all, about enjoying the process of making photographs.

Thanks! I really like how you answered my first question! Thanks a bunch! Again, you helped me understand why Leica is really great (the M-line sounds very interesting). If I have any other questions in the near future, I'll stop by here :)

And thanks for the video talking about the S2! It helped me greatly :)