3 lens kit for M9 - thoughts?!

breadfan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got my perfect set at last!

An M9 body and a recently acquired mint s/hand M7 body.

90mm f2.0 arrived yesterday - about 3 month wait.

Also have a 50mm f1.4 - can't believe I waited only 2 weeks!!

And a 28mm f2.0 - imported new from the UK - didn't have to wait at all!! (I'm in Australia) - this is my favourite lens.

So next week there will be a virtually mint++ 90mm f2.5 going on eBay.

Still waiting for a NEX-7 body for the occasional macro and telephoto stuff also as a second body for the Leica lenses. Got my 2 Sony lenses and a Voigtlander adapter - just need the body. Who would have thought there was a longer waiting list for Sony than Leica !!! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Currently I have 21/2.8 - 35/1.4 - 50/1.4

However, I am thinking about switching to a 28/2.8 50/1.4 90/2.8 setup. Here are my reasons

- first and foremost, even though the 35 lux produce extremely stunning images, fundamentally I am more of a 50 kind of guy. For the most part, pictures with my 35 lack focus. But if I try to fill the frame, then I walk up too close to my subject, which is a problem with street. 50 just feels more natural.

- so first step determine whether you are a 50 or 35 then build your kit around it

- although 21 is great for landscape, it not so for street primarily because it is more of a special effect lens. Landscape with 21 can have that overwhelming and expansive feeling of being there. However, when used with people or street, I find the corners to be too stretched. Therefore I wouldn't use 21 unless for landscape that require the special effect, which for me is 5% of the time. In addition, other than with still subject, I find the external viewfinder to be very annoying to use, because you can't focus.

- however I still desire a wide. 35 for me is just not wide enough. To make it so that I don't need to use an annoying external viewfinder, I would go for the 28.

- at some point, I also realize, abusing large aperture on a 50 is nowhere near as effective as using a moderate aperture on a 90 for portrait. The 90 elmarit gives both better bokeh and less distortion, and it is cheaper.

- finally, a word about aperture. The more I shoot the less I feel the need for large aperture. So consider saving some of your money by going for the crons and elmarits. In fact, unless the subject is far enough, I don't use 1.4 on my 50 because it has too much bokeh. I think the recent obsession on bokeh is kinda silly. Look at your favorite photos by the masters, what % of the photos have the crazy bokeh? 1% maybe.

So first step determine whether you are a 50 or 35 then build your kit around it

That's a very good idea.

When you want to 'cover a lot of ground' with only three lenses then you sould have a short lens, a medium lens, and a long lens—and for most, the medium lens would be either 35 or 50 mm. Of course there will always be a few eccentrics :D to whom 35 mm will be their shortest or 50 mm their longest ... and then there are those who definitely want both a 35 mm and a 50 mm. The easiest solution for the latter kind of person would be a four-lens kit ... or become an eccentric.

Even though I am using the 50 mm lens more than the 35 mm, I definitely want both. So for me, a three-lens kit kit would be 35+50+90. Fortunately I am not bound to own just three lenses so I'd happily add a 21 mm or 24 mm. If you insist in a maximum of three but don't insist in including both 35 and 50 then I'd suggest 21+35+75 or 28+50+90. But then, there are many more combinations which also would make perfect sense.

Although 21 mm is great for landscape, it not so for street primarily because it is more of a special effect lens. Landscape with 21 mm can have that overwhelming and expansive feeling of being there. However, when used with people or street, I find the corners to be too stretched. Therefore I wouldn't use 21 mmm unless for landscape that require the special effect, which for me is 5 % of the time.

If you want a lens which is wide yet does not exhibit this sense of exaggerated perspective then you should restrict yourself to 24 mm. That's the widest wide-angle which is not super-wide. I elaborated on this particular topic several time before.

The more I shoot the less I feel the need for large aperture. So consider saving some of your money by going for the Summicrons and Elmarits.

... and don't forget the Summarits.

I have a few "three lens kits".

For people/events: 35/1.2 nokton, 50/1.5 sonnar, 90/2.8 elmarit-M, SF24D flash off camera.

For landscapes: 21/2.8 biogon, 40/2 rokkor/'cron, 90/2.8 elmarit-M, tripod

For city breaks:21/2.8 biogon, 40/2 rokkor/'cron, 50/1.5 sonnar, 135/3.5

For family: 50/1.5 sonnar

The OP should ask him/herself why they are restricting themselves to three lenses?

.....More lenses means too much money spent on photography equipment?

..... Camera bag size?

...... Total weight on camera and in pockets?

........ Too many lenses means too many options to consider and thus too much time dithering?

A couple of small lenses could weigh the same as one large one, but the large one always has the weight on the camera hanging around your neck.

New Zeiss lenses are cheaper than new Lecia. New Voigtlander are cheaper then new Zeiss. Second hand/used "user" lenses are often cheaper than anything new. Legacy Canon/Nikon/KonicaMinolta/Soviet lenses (especially old Leica thread mount) are the cheapest you could get, but still offer good enough performance under all but the most challenging light and give a really nice "retro"/"old school" look that will set your work apart from others.

If you don't know which focal lengths you want, I suggest buying 3 cheap used lenses to try alongside your 35 cron for a while. Then you will get a feel for your favourite three focal lengths. Note that I said "favourite" focal lenghts - don't try to cover the ends of a hypothetical zoom range - cover the focal lengths that you find most useful most often. Many people like 35 and 50 in the same kit.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am a professional photojournalist, and for the moment I am doing a project on urban landscapes which also includes some "regular" street work.

I have the three lenses you mention, except my 50 is a cron not a lux. They are all great and do different things.

I consider myself a "35 man" but think the 35/50 combo is interesting. There is a big difference in how these lenses work, the 35 is essentially a very small wideangle and the 50 is a very small telephoto lens. They are both equally far away from the 43mm absolute normal focal lenght. The difference is not necessarily in how far I need to be from my subject, but in how much background is included.

You will be able to make do with only one of these, but what I am trying to say is that they are enough different that you will probably want both focal lenghts for city use.

The 50 is perfect for shots across a street, where the the 35 usually puts me in the middle of the street to get the framing I want. Up close on the street, 35 is sometimes too tight. (maybe I need a 28 cron?)

My 24 asph I am more ambivalent towards. It is ultra-super sharp across the field but it is a very demanding lens to create meaningful compositions with. partly because of the wide perspective and partly because of the whole external finder issue. Howver it is a great "shoot from the hip" lens. I usually only use my 24 if I can get a elevated vantage point, otherwise there is either way too much foreground or way too tilted verticals for my project (yes I know about perspective control). So bottom line, the 24 has enabled me to get those (very few) shots I would miss otherwise. Its one of those focal lenghts that I rarely need but when I need it I REALLY need it. And then it delivers bucketloads.

I got mine used, but they are few and far between in the used market. There is always the elmar24 but for anything remotely reportage-like you will want the 2.8 option.

21 or wider is not for me since the pictures start to get "lensy" (a word I made up to describe when it becomes too obvious that a special lens is used)

I dont know if this makes any sense but I will try anyway:

One thing I have found useful is to limit the number of lenses I bring. I have four leica lenses, soon to be 5 (cron75), and try not to bring any more than two with me shooting, preferably only one. Having all focal lengths available usually lead me to "try them all at all times" so that I lose concentration on what can be done with the focal lenght I have mounted. Most subjects can be shot with most focal lenghts if you are creative.

It seems I come home with much better pictures if I go on a trip with just one lens than if I go with all four lenses. Its the good old, "less is more", you know.

Basically my attention should be towards the world outside than the world inside the camera bag.

So long story short, I find that having all possibilities limits my creativity.

Start with a 35 cron and get out shooting. Dont buy all lenses at once even if you can afford it. When the time is right you will know which other lenses you want.

The perfect three lens kit can only be decided your photographic needs and your budget.

EDIT: I have a VF for the 24 but have stopped using it. For real critical work I need to review composition in the LCD anyways. For non-critical work, I am able to guesstimate the framing pretty well nowadays. Besides, I kinda like the "snapshot" look for my reportage needs.

EDIT 2: I have shot digitally for ten years now and the M9 is my all-time favorite camera, regardless or brand, film and medium format included. It has its shortcomings but overall image quality, shooting experience and simplicity makes it an absolute joy to use. Congrats on your decision!

Edited by skinnfell
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know it is a boring choice but I went with the classic "holy trinity" of 35/50/90 as my standard 3 lens kit. The 35 Summicron lives on my M9 and sees the most use. The 90 Elmarit M comes out for head and shoulder portraits and close up work and the 50 Summicron is useful for the occasional full length portrait or when the composition demands a 50. This set is very useful and covers nearly every situation.

I do, however, feel the need for a 21 and will pick one up later this year. And if I stumble on a great deal for a 28 Elmarit version IV, I'll probably add it to the kit because it is such a great lens. On the other hand, my 135 Elmarit sits in a drawer most of the time. It only finds a place in my bag when I know I'll need it.

I know it is a boring choice but I went with the classic "holy trinity" of 35/50/90 as my standard 3 lens kit.

That is the same as my standard kit. Those lenses are living in my bag. Occasionally, I switch the 35 for a 24. I also have a few other lenses, but I only bring them when I need them.

That is the same as my standard kit. Those lenses are living in my bag. Occasionally, I switch the 35 for a 24. I also have a few other lenses, but I only bring them when I need them.

My Standard too...

35 f2 Summicron ASPH

50 f2,5 Summarit

90 f4 C elmar

And after seeing excellent results on M9 i am waiting an old 135mm Hektor f4,5...

ciao

Giacomo

• 4 years later...

My three lens kit is the very traditional 35-50-90 as well. 35 and 50 are my favorite focal lengths with the 50 seeing the most use indoors and 35 the most when out and about. 90 is used rarely, but has a very high keeper rate.

My particular three are 35 Lux ASPH FLE, 50 Lux ASPH and 90 Cron Pre-ASPH (the super heavy chrome jewel).

My three lens kit is the very traditional 35-50-90 as well. 35 and 50 are my favorite focal lengths with the 50 seeing the most use indoors and 35 the most when out and about. 90 is used rarely, but has a very high keeper rate.

My particular three are 35 Lux ASPH FLE, 50 Lux ASPH and 90 Cron Pre-ASPH (the super heavy chrome jewel).

There are enough of these threads without resurrecting one 4 years old, don't you think?   :D

Jeff

Triple boring kit :D

Good light: Biogon 35/2.8, Elmar 50/2.8 v2, Macro-Elmar 90/4

Low light: Summilux 35/1.4 FLE, Summilux 50/1.4 asph, Summicron 90/2 apo

Travels: Summicron 35/2 asph, Summicron 50/2 apo, Macro-Elmar 90/4

There are enough of these threads without resurrecting one 4 years old, don't you think? 

Ah yes i had not read your post and i have never owned an M9 anyway, sorry for the waste of bandwidth folks. 

There are enough of these threads without resurrecting one 4 years old, don't you think?   :D

Jeff

I didn't read it four years ago, so I replied now. Sorry for wasting all of those precious bytes.

• 2 months later...

Four is the new three.

Four is the new three, as collection not a kit....for me

I have been thinking of this, as I switch from Nikon Zooms f/2.8 24mm to 200mm to Leica. And put together a rangefinder kit that works for me....now.

Prior to this switch I had all formats and primes 18mm to 400mm. When I see photographs it is, in terms of primes....its how I was trained.

Even when I view paintings I think about primes   yes.... I think too much

For me ......I don't like ultra fast lenses......too narrow DOF, too expensive and too heavy......I do see their use, just not for me

These days I prefer to travel light and walk around with one lens.

When I started with the rangefinder I thought I'd be happy with just one lens....I soon found there were too many photos I wanted to make and had to pass up.

With this collection I think I'll be able to do most anything....I want.

35mm as my general walking around one lens kit.

As for a 3 lens kit that's light weight and versatile  28mm 50mm and 90mm

I'd leave the 35 home..when I choose to carry 3. Which is why I would agree that 4 is the new 3

I wonder, once I build this collection I if I'll be content? :)

Edited by ECohen