3 lens kit for M9 - thoughts?!

breadfan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello i am new in the Forum.

I am going to buy a Leica M9-P next month (this will be my first Leica :) - i sold all my Nikon equipment), and as first lens i decided to buy a new Summicron f/2 35mm ASPH, as i think 35mm is a good focal length for a first lens. And i really like the look of the pictures from that lens.

In the next few months i plan to get also de Elmarit f/2.8 24mm ASPH (used) and some time later the Summilux f/1.4 50mm ASPH.

I like city photography and Landscapes so i tend a little more to the wider focal lengths, so i thought a 3 Lens kit 24 - 35 - 50 mm would be ideal. Maybe there won't be a big difference between the 35 to the 50 focal lengths but the summilux would be more intended for night photography and interiors (maybe in the distant future i could add also a 35mm summilux for that purpose as well).

I would really like to hear thoughts about this and advices. I see often as many pictures as i can in Flickr with different Leica lenses and i find the pictures i saw with those three lenses impressive. They are very different lenses and thats what i find appealing in getting those.

About the Elmarit 24mm, is it easy to find a used one in good condition in Ebay at the moment? In what should i be particularly careful when buying an used lens as this one? I live in Germany at the moment and i am looking for one not so old maybe 2 or 3 years old.

Would it be completely necessary to use an external viewfinder with the 24mm in a M9?

thanks!

You know, this subject has been beaten to death in this forum for about a million times.. a quick search should give you the answers you need.

to conclude:

1) only you can decide what you need

2) 28-50-90

3) 35-75

4) wate or mate

5) ...

1000) there are as many combos as there are users, brands and decades of lenses will come to play also..

One thing to consider, is to look through exif data of your nikon shots and see where you've been most comfortable with that.

Now, I do hope you don't take this as rude answer. It's just that this topic has been extensively covered and still comes up every week or so..

And as a final note, congrats on your new camera & welcome. Hope it brings you great joy and good photos!

//Juha

• Like 2

For my own purposes, I consider the 35mm and 50mm the essential lenses and I use my 35mm the most. I recently acquired the new 21mm 3.4 ASPH and really like the images from this lens. You may want to compare the 21mm against the 24mm and see which you prefer.

many discussions about VF.

Alot of people use 24mm without a VF but difficult to see entire framing

I did see some people comment that they use a 21mm without a VF

All those lenses you mention are great. Its up to you on focal lengths

Good luck finding anything nearly new second hand!

Hi. Great to hear you're going for an M9. I'm sure you'll love it. Yes this question has been asked a million times on this forum but you have asked a question so I'll answer :-)

My very first lens was the Summicron 35mm Asph too. I bought it before I'd even got my M9. It's a fantastic lens. Sharp and contrasty. Just how I like um.

After that I got a 50mm Lux. Love the depth of field and bokeh on that and is my weapon of choice. But I wanted a good range so I got a 90mm Cron pre Asph but to be honest I rarely use it.

Since then I picked up a Voigtlander 50mm Nokton which is great for what it is but has it flaws. I love the 50mm focal lenght.

Recently picked up a 15mm Voigtlander Heliar which is amazing considering the price. Nice and wide and sharp as a sharp blade. Shame about the red colour shift but I can deal with it. I felt 15mm would compliment my kit well.

I think I've got a good range: 15mm, 35mm, 50mm and 90mm. It works for me but there is thousands of permutations of lenses so there really is no correct answer.

I hope you find a range that suits your style. I'm sure you'll have fun finding out!

And regarding a finder for a 21mm. You'll need one. Yes you can use it without but you'll get bored of the guess work and want to get (more) acqurate framing.

Have fun

Hi welcome to the forum,

Like the others have stated, which 3 lenses you will like and use the most is very individual.

I started with the 35 cron and if I want to go for a walk with only 1 lens that is the one. Next I added the 50 lux, a fantastic lens. I too tend to wide angle and about a year ago added the 24mm elmar 3.4. Very sharp, very little distortion and a joy to use. This kit works well for travel, landscape, and environmental portraits.

Roy

WATE

MATE

90/4 Macro

Well you did ask ;)

Unfortunately thats the equivalent of the cost of a small car.......

I know it's cheating but this combo will do everything except the occasional difficult low light situation where some sort of support will have to do in lieu of a sub f2 lens....

Thats what I take on holiday ....... with a Noctilux 0.95 to plug the low light gap if I am feeling strong and not flying with Ryanair (where the hand luggage allowance just about allows a few pairs of socks and underpants) ....

Seriously though .... if you already have a 35 I would drop down to at least a 21.... and at the upper end a 75 or 90. Too narrow a spread really doesn't give you a lot of alternative photographic perspectives or flexibility..... just the convenience of not having to walk backwards or forwards to crop the shot....

nb. some of the lenses you mention are on the forum buy/sell at the moment .....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

My three lenses kit at this moment are

35 lux fle. Which attach to my m9 for general usage.

75mm cron. Which I use everytime I am in the car or bus.

These combo are very usefull, due to its focal length that are not too wode or too tele. So you can used both in most situation.

Then the third lens is my Nocti f1.0 last version.

All of these three lenses are not big and easy to carry. Before this setup, i used to carry 35cron, 50noct and 75 lux. Which I found 75lux is too heavy for me.

Jsj

Hey, it's totally up to you and your vision of what you want. You asked so here goes.

FWIW, I also shoot lots of landscape and find the 21 and 18 better choices for that than my 24. Another thought is getting a 21/1/4 for landscape AND candid or street shots for low level work and then you will have a 35/2.0, a 21/1.4 and time to get whatever suits you above the 35 since there is no rush because you have a 1.4 lens and a wide lens. I find cropping my 21 shots is just fine due to the quality of the M9 image with Leica glass. I regularly print A3+ and sometimes 17"x22" with terrific results of cropped images.

The WATE suggestion is good, but if you think you NEED a fast lens then I would go for a fixed focal length.

I have a 24 but am looking to get a 21. I shoot landscapes mostly. I have a 90 that never gets used. I have a 6 lens kit but if I were to get only 3 it would be a 21 or 24, 50 and 75. If you do not think you will use a 75 the I would go 21, 35, 50. FWIW.:)

Thanks for the replies ;)

I am seeing many pictures online from both the Summicrons 35mm Asph and pre Asph v4, both look very nice and very different, I find that with the Asph pictures look much sharper and with more contrast, while with the v4 pictures are also very nice, not so contrasty and have a more film kind of look. Its a difficult choice - but i think i will buy a new Asph.

Regarding the 21 vs 24mm, i ve seen also many pictures from both and i really liked the ones with the Elmarit 24mm, maybe its not as wide as the 21 but i think its wide enough for me and i find it a perfect focal length. I hope i can get a good copy of that lens in Germany.

When i get it i will see if i can manage to use it without the external viewfinder.

If i need to buy an external vf is it worth to buy the expensive Leica one?

I think i will start with those two lenses at first.. after buying those and the M9-P i will surely have to eat pasta for a year, but i will be happy :)