Cracked Sensor

jim sink

Well, there are now several digital cameras one can use Leica M lenses on with an adapter, Sony NEX, Ricoh, and soon Fuji. I have the NEX-5N and will be getting soon the NEX-7 as well. I also have the M9 and had to send it back for fixing the flaws it came with initially brand new.

So, if I have to send in the M9 again, I still can use my excellent Leica M lenses. Even the WATE 16-18-21 works flawlessly on the NEX-5N. Considering the amount of money invested in Leica M enses, I feel it's worth having some additional non-Leica cameras to use these lenses on and mitigate the risk of not having the M9 available for an extended period of time.

I am not excusing Leica's quality control problems at all. In fact, their seeming inability to fix the SD card issue is very troubling. However, I consider the M9 to have been at the cutting bleeding edge of technology in 2009 that comes with certain risks I was and am still willing to take. The reward is the use of those exceptional lenses.

We live in an imperfect world and everybody has to decide for her/himself what works for them and which risks to take.

Do we really have an official statement from Leica that they will continue to change sensors after the warranty has expired?

If so, for how long?

I may be wrong, but I don't think Leica has made any pronouncements on the matter. I'm sure they wouldn't state publicly that broken sensor glasses will be replaced forever for free.

A cracked sensor is obviously a problem for the person who has it, but few people have it and so far Leica has not balked at replacing the sensors in those cases.

So where's the worry? :)

A cracked sensor is obviously a problem for the person who has it, but few people have it and so far Leica has not balked at replacing the sensors in those cases.

So where's the worry? :)

The worry is in you words: "So far......." and in the fact that my M9 is out of warranty since four month :(

Well, maybe time for a test case? :p Seriously - one can never guarantee that the sky will not fall down. But first it has to be demonstrated that a cracked sensor can even be a late failure - and then we would need a (highly improbable) concrete refusal by Leica to fix it for free. Until both those circumstances are met this thread can only be described as sheer speculation.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 3

As you know I had a broken sensor two times!

The sensor was replaced without any questioning by Leica also two times.

Now again for the third time I had problems (banding) with the sensor, Leica offered directly to replace the camera for a new one. The old one was out of guaranty!

For me it is clear, Leica takes responsibility for their products! Stop worrying!

best regards,

Prem

• Like 1