Slide film

ganzosrevenge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want to try slidefilm in my Leicaflex SL. I don't like fuji stuff (looks too cartoony for me) and i want to be able to get the most out of my 'cron. I have heard that slide film has less grain than even the best print film, and I like how kodak comes out in print. What could i expect from slide film instead of print film?

ie: granularity, contrast, detail, dynamic range of colors, etc., and will it help to bring out the best in my L-Flex?

Jason

Transparency film always looks good in its virgin form (and especially with the light illuminating it from behind.) But what are you going to do with it? Project it on a wall? Once you change it into something else (scanning, post processing, printing, etc..) then it gets transformed. And it can be transformed into a wide variety of looks (some good and some not so good.)

Normally, the choice of film type also depends on final output.

Pity you don't like Fuji. I find Fuji Provia 100F to be about the most accurate / neutral for colour rendition and extremely fine grained and sharp.

Exactly my perception as well. And whoever complains that this film tends to be blueish in certain situations is denying the fact that the light itself does tend to be blueish in those situations.

Andy

Having been a Kodachrome user since the days of X, I lamented Kodak's discontinuation of K25 and 64. However, I tried a couple of Fujichromes, and have to agree that Provia 100F is a good Kodachrome replacement. I have used it on several trips, and have been pleased with the results.

Since Kodachrome and Astia got discontinued, I turned to Provia 100F, too. Depending on the lab you will be using, the film can also be pushed a stop (perhaps a tad more contrasty then). Colours appear quite consistent also with the Provia 400X, which is a great low light option.

Cheers,

Alexander