The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Slide film

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • City / Ort:Hewlett, NY

Posted 05 February 2012 - 17:11

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
I want to try slidefilm in my Leicaflex SL. I don't like fuji stuff (looks too cartoony for me) and i want to be able to get the most out of my 'cron. I have heard that slide film has less grain than even the best print film, and I like how kodak comes out in print. What could i expect from slide film instead of print film?

ie: granularity, contrast, detail, dynamic range of colors, etc., and will it help to bring out the best in my L-Flex?

Jason

#2 Joachim123

Joachim123

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 17:50

I usually use Kodak 100G an excellent slide film. Also recommended in Agfa Precisa 100 and Fuji Velvia 50.
  • ganzosrevenge said thank you to this

#3 kokoshawnuff

kokoshawnuff

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • City / Ort:Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2012 - 20:54

+1 for the 100G which produces some of the most natural colors I've seen in any film.

I'd also suggest trying the 100VS; a really brilliant looking film

#4 Schnitzer

Schnitzer

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:00

I second the vote for Agfa Precisa. Has a slightly different color pallete than Kodak slide film with more pleasing reds and blues, in my opinion

#5 CalArts 99

CalArts 99

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 23:40

Transparency film always looks good in its virgin form (and especially with the light illuminating it from behind.) But what are you going to do with it? Project it on a wall? Once you change it into something else (scanning, post processing, printing, etc..) then it gets transformed. And it can be transformed into a wide variety of looks (some good and some not so good.)

Normally, the choice of film type also depends on final output.

#6 ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:21

I want to try it to see the difference in digital prints that I get from print film v. slide film. And I want to see how it looks in prints. It's an experiment.

Jason

#7 Steve Lane

Steve Lane

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:41

Another vote for Kodak's E100 G and VS films - I have been using them for years and love the results.

#8 stunsworth

stunsworth

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 20,973 posts
  • City / Ort:The grim North

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:47

If you don't like 'cartoony' colours I doubt that Velvia - in any of its guises - will be something you'd like. I'd start with the Kodak films or Fuji Provia.
Steve

Website
Flickr
Twitter

#9 ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 14:30

I don't like cartoon colors / HDR colors. I like a more subdued look, particularly if it's natural. (Ironically, I like ADOX CMS 20 microfilm, which through the showing of detail pops everything)

Jason

#10 Michael Geschlecht

Michael Geschlecht

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 15:23

Hello Jason,

Welcome to the Forum,

There used to be this film called "Kodachrome" in ISO 64/19 & ISO 25/15 you might have liked.

Best Regards,

Michael
  • kokoshawnuff said thank you to this

#11 Guest_Paul Jenkin_*

Guest_Paul Jenkin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:29

Pity you don't like Fuji. I find Fuji Provia 100F to be about the most accurate / neutral for colour rendition and extremely fine grained and sharp.

#12 parasko

parasko

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:56

+1...

Provia 100F is THE slide film!

Pity you don't like Fuji. I find Fuji Provia 100F to be about the most accurate / neutral for colour rendition and extremely fine grained and sharp.

#13 stunsworth

stunsworth

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 20,973 posts
  • City / Ort:The grim North

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:01

Provia 100F is THE slide film!

I used to use it when I was shooting film, but always thought the shadows were too blue.
Steve

Website
Flickr
Twitter

#14 andybarton

andybarton

• Moderators
  • 26,690 posts
  • Location----- Airstrip 1 ----- 53°17'46'N, 03°05'02'W

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:05

Astia (RIP) was THE slide film if you wanted neutral colours, fine grain and the easiest scan.
  • nikau said thank you to this

Andy

Any comment here is just my opinion. Yours may differ.

Posts made with my Moderator hat on are in Bold Dark Red

Blog: "Still My Turn This Year?": 25th May 2015

Leica User Book 2014

#15 ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 16:48

Astia (RIP) was THE slide film if you wanted neutral colours, fine grain and the easiest scan.

Funny you mention Astia. I think the photo lab near me has a quantity of it in like sets of 10 or 20 rolls in their little mini-fridge. I'll go inquire about it.

Jason

#16 andybarton

andybarton

• Moderators
  • 26,690 posts
  • Location----- Airstrip 1 ----- 53°17'46'N, 03°05'02'W

Posted 15 February 2012 - 17:49

If it was the last batch and it's been looked after properly, it should be fine, but make sure you use and process it quickly

Andy

Any comment here is just my opinion. Yours may differ.

Posts made with my Moderator hat on are in Bold Dark Red

Blog: "Still My Turn This Year?": 25th May 2015

Leica User Book 2014

#17 wizard

wizard

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 14:08

Exactly my perception as well. And whoever complains that this film tends to be blueish in certain situations is denying the fact that the light itself does tend to be blueish in those situations.

Andy

#18 sender

sender

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:28

Having been a Kodachrome user since the days of X, I lamented Kodak's discontinuation of K25 and 64. However, I tried a couple of Fujichromes, and have to agree that Provia 100F is a good Kodachrome replacement. I have used it on several trips, and have been pleased with the results.

#19 xalo

xalo

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 692 posts
  • City / Ort:Paris

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:18

Since Kodachrome and Astia got discontinued, I turned to Provia 100F, too. Depending on the lab you will be using, the film can also be pushed a stop (perhaps a tad more contrasty then). Colours appear quite consistent also with the Provia 400X, which is a great low light option.
Cheers,
Alexander

#20 SteveYork

SteveYork

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 22:09

Ektachome 100G or Elite Chrome, which was discontinued last year but still on the shelves. Good camera, the SL.
www.flickr.com/photos/filmforlife/

0 user(s) are reading this topic