After 3 years at Malcolm Taylor's, will my lens have fungus?

plasticman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It was really my worries about environmental damage to the lens rather than the long wait that the post was about, but thanks everyone for your advice.

With regard to the Chinese adapter - I have no idea how well that might work, but I wanted an accurate M-conversion of the lens, as it's an exceptionally fine specimen and furthermore it seems pointless to me to own an 0,95 lens which doesn't focus reliably. I'm sure Malcolm will do a fine job, when he gets around to it.

Note that I don't have an estimated cost though - so when he finally does get on with it, he can charge me whatever he likes. I guess now you're all impressed with both my patience and my acute business acumen...

It will be interesting to see what the invoice will be. Do you think he will charge for storage?

• Like 1

Normally, fungus which is mold will form when there is little air movement and moisture present.In most business especially repair facilities this doesn't normally become a problem.

I can't answer for Malcolm's work area but I would suspect that the humidity is kept at the

optimum relative humidity level which is generally considered between 40% and 50%. Anywhere between 30% and 60% is acceptable, and a figure below 50% is recommended to help control fungi. I have been working with mold remediation for the past 25 years

Hank moldmen@att.net

• Like 1

the one man show camera repair operators are a peculiar breed... they seem incapable of saying no when you bring then odd jobs- and incapable of saying yes when you ask if the work has been done... I currently have two M cameras that have been with my local guy for nearly 6 months. Every time I call him he says- 'nearly done- call me at the end of the week'... then when I do call at the end of the week it is never a good time and I should 'call back next week'... I am getting sick of it. 3 years and I would be ready for murder... and I would probably get less than 3 years for the murder when the court heard about the reason behind it... the verdict: Justifiable Homicide.:)

• Like 3

I am awaiting a relatively small job: a FODUA rangefinder sent to Malcolm Taylor in early November last year, which is otherwise in good shape, but which he says he needs the right weather to check/align.

Not long previously he had CLA'd an old Elmar 90 f/4 in a couple of weeks, and an older Leica I in about a month. So he can also be fast.

I should add, no fungus issues... Or worries, really.

Both of those earlier jobs were so beautifully done, and Malcolm Taylor is such a nice and careful man, that I don't mind the current wait so much.

I also prefer perfectionism to its alternatives.

3 years does seem different. What's the explanation?

I would definitely have the guy return the lens and parts and find another repair shop.

If he refuses, I would travel there and pick it up!

I have done some modifications, changing mounts Canon FD to Nikon F etc. and it usually takes 3-5 times as long first time you do a job like this, you newer know before you start if you don't have drawings/directions on the specific lens at hand...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, three years is unacceptable. But Malcolm is a craftsman who has always done exceptional work inexpensively, which is rare to find these days, so I say let's cut him a little slack and not let this turn into a bashing thread. I personally wouldn't be concerned about fungus because that's one of Malcolm's specialties; he expertly removed fungus from my 80mm Summilux-R so he's unlikely to allow a lens in his care to develop it.

I hope you're reunited with your lens soon, Mani, because I feel sure you'll be happy with the results when you receive it.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 5

I would schedule a telephone call to Malcolm Taylor on Monday morning and not close the call until you have an honest status report, cost estimate and time to completion from him. Remain calm, pleasant but persistent. Let us know the outcome. It does seem that you are both guilty of letting this job lapse unnecessarily.

• Like 2

Yes, three years is unacceptable. But Malcolm is a craftsman who has always done exceptional work inexpensively, which is rare to find these days, so I say let's cut him a little slack and not let this turn into a bashing thread. I personally wouldn't be concerned about fungus because that's one of Malcolm's specialties; he expertly removed fungus from my 80mm Summilux-R so he's unlikely to allow a lens in his care to develop it.

I hope you're reunited with your lens soon, Mani, because I feel sure you'll be happy with the results when you receive it.

Pete.

Thanks Pete. My intention wasn't to bash Malcolm for the delay - as you say, (and I've said above) I've let it slip my mind most of the time, usually only remembering once every six months, or so.

The three years in the thread title was because I suddenly realized that the lens would have been sharing workshop space with possibly infected lenses for that length of time - so it's the fungus that's my worry, not particularly the wait.

I bought the 0,95 when I was on a spree to get all the M-compatible 50mm fast lenses (1,4 and under). After a while (and a rather large accumulation) I realized I didn't really need any more of them - so even the 0,95 hasn't been missed, to be honest.

I'll definitely give Malcolm a call on Monday, and see what can be arranged.

• Like 2

He isn't THAT busy. He's probably lost it !

Can happen to anyone. Give him a break. ;)

Being busy is one thing. Dodging communications or stringing someone along are not acceptable, however. If he lost it, then he should just say so. If not, provide a timely status or offer to send the lens back as-is.

Being busy is one thing. Dodging communications or stringing someone along are not acceptable, however. If he lost it, then he should just say so.

Amazing, so he's now dodging communication as well? That hadn't been mentioned before, I say lets get the rope and have a good old lynching! :rolleyes:

Steve

I certainly think that after three years another reminder is indicated. I would not be worried about fungus. Actually Malcolm made a lovely job of eliminating fungus from a visoflex lens for me last year.

I do not know how old he is - he CLA'd my M2 over thirty years ago and at that time had agood longstanding reputation. He is very apprroachable and I have found that his estimates of how long work will take to be accurate. Recent work he has done for me - lens CLA, fungus removal, coding - has had a turn round time if 2 to 3 weeks.

I hope another phone call will get your lens sorted.

... He is very apprroachable and I have found that his estimates of how long work will take to be accurate. Recent work he has done for me - lens CLA, fungus removal, coding - has had a turn round time if 2 to 3 weeks.

Same here, CLA to my 35 and 50 Summicrons in 2-3 weeks. Then a complete strip down and repair to my M6 in 2-3 months since I was not in a rush and travelling in/out of country. But all ended well and with many nice phone conversations. I would love to stop by at his place, and never had the chance. Now after 3 years, you might want to do that, right?

K.

I have visited Malcolm's place. It is a farmhouse at the end of a long narrow lane wide enough only for one vehicle and embarrassing if you encounter anything coming the other way - especially riders on horseback. Not a journey to be undertaken lightly. I was consoled by combining the trip with a stay at Mr Underhill's, a very high quality restaurant with rooms in Ludlow - a very charming town. Malcolm's house contains a remarkable collection of Leica equipment, some of which is for sale and very tempting.

Alwyn