accurate focus wide open and recomposing

stump4545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

for example at 6ft, to compensate for recomposing to take a guess at it are we talking leaning back 6in or is it more like stepping back 1 foot?

i already started to experiment but it would be nice to have a good starting point?

------------

last question, does the .95 have "curvature of field" wide open that might on its own help correct the recomposing issue?

thank you kindly.

One foot is likely too much, but again it depends on all of those factors. If you are 6 feet away and recomposing by, say, 2 feet on your subject (assuming that's the distance from their mid-section to their head), then the shift is just under 4 inches, and that's assuming the lens has a flat field. For most lenses at most apertures, that's enough to ignore because the depth of field takes care of it. However, I don't know about the Noctilux at f/0.95, or its curvature of field.

The 0.95 is not flat field, neither is the new SLR Magic 0.95 as can be clearly seen from the test shots.

After 40 posts on this I think it's about time you do some homework and tell us:

How "accurate focus wide open and recomposing" is done with the 0.95...

Several members here have been very helpful and written their opinion and "How to" so it should be possible now for you to test your 0.95

Shall we say two consecutive frames that are in focus, first recomposed to the right then to the left f/1.4 at 4 feet, vertical and horizontal...

Thank you and have a nice weekend!

testing i have already started and to me it seems so far that the dreaded focus is not that apparent wide open at say 6ft.

maybe it has something to do with the curvature of field of the .95.

i will keep playing with it.

thanks again everybody for all the help.

• 4 years later...