Leica Service Australia

doronski

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you to all. CES it will be.

And Ernest at Camera Electronic Service it was. Just received my fully overhauled M2 back today (Ernest was on holiday for a month). I can now add my recommendation to those of the other Forum members. Communication excellent, work quality excellent, cost very reasonable, and to cap it all off, return shipment over a distance of 3500 km cost only A$15 and took only 15 hours from CES Perth despatch to delivery to my home in Rosebud. When I sent it off, I was half expecting to be told it was not worth repairing. Now, I can use it with pride and pleasure. :):)

• 1 year later...

Same thing happened to me here in South Africa, local Leica is in Cape Town, 1400km away from the biggest Leica market here in Johannesburg. Would take a few days from Jhb to CT and they do NOT repair but send to Germany and I can expect it back in 3 MONTHS!

I send it, insured directly from Jhb to Solms and it was back, repaired in 4 weeks!

Local Leica SUCKS!

• 1 year later...

Just pulling this back to from the deep.  I'm intending to send my M9 in for sensor replacement, service, and a quote on possible upgrade to M9-P, if this option is still available.  Should I contact Leica Australia, or go directly to the mothership?  I'd prefer to deal directly with the mothership, but I'll deal with Leica Australia if I have to. 

Edited by Archiver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just pulling this back to from the deep.  I'm intending to send my M9 in for sensor replacement, service, and a quote on possible upgrade to M9-P, if this option is still available.  Should I contact Leica Australia, or go directly to the mothership?  I'd prefer to deal directly with the mothership, but I'll deal with Leica Australia if I have to.

Surely, that's you decision! The Mothership would be my decision..

Turn around - months:: Be prepared.. Take pictures, document everything, pack well, insure & require a signature @ destination..

Surely, that's you decision! The Mothership would be my decision..

Turn around - months:: Be prepared.. Take pictures, document everything, pack well, insure & require a signature @ destination..

Thanks for the input.  Months without my baby, ugh. 

My question was about whether there are benefits or downsides to dealing with Wetzlar directly, or through the local Australian division.  As I look at the customs protocols for sending the camera to Germany, I'm now thinking it might be easier to just give it to Leica Australia and ask them to send it through.

Thanks for the input.  Months without my baby, ugh. 

My question was about whether there are benefits or downsides to dealing with Wetzlar directly, or through the local Australian division.  As I look at the customs protocols for sending the camera to Germany, I'm now thinking it might be easier to just give it to Leica Australia and ask them to send it through.

You make an excellent point, though months is a possibility, I would imagine additional time should be added if a third party becomes involved. I doubt any communication between yourself and Wetzlar would be possible if you use Leica Australia to be the middle man.. JMHO.. A thought, maybe Leica Australia would offer you a Loaner, ask and who knows...

• Like 1

I understand that Camera Clinic are able to perform sensor assembly replacements and the associated adjustments etc. however if you are considering an upgrade I would think that this would need to be at Wetzlar, since this is or was? a deal offered directly.

Why not contact Csmera Clinic directly first of all for what is possible currently ? You could phone Leica Camera Australia as well and chat with a customer service representative.

• Like 2

I had the sensor of my Monochrom replaced under warranty by Camera Clinic in Melbourne. Like you I had a preference to send it straight to Wetzlar because I thought such a task was best done by them. When I emailed them they suggested this route.

To my utter amazement it only took about two weeks door to door. Camera Clinic were excellent both in communication and service as was the Leica agent. My MM, I think, was one of the first in Australia to have its sensor replaced (January this year) because when I rang Camera Clinic after talking to the Leica agent in Melbourne, they had no idea that sensors were available. I know of at least one other forum member who has had his M9 sensor replaced by Camera Clinic (last year) as they were available before the MM ones.

I'm not sure what the turnaround time might be now maybe I was lucky. :)

I've had no problems with the camera since.

Edited by Hardster
  • Like 3

I contacted the mothership with my requests, and asked if it would be better to deal with Leica Australia or Wetzlar directly.  They advised that Leica Australia will handle it, and passed on the message.  A few days later, Leica Australia contacted me, and now I'll be dealing with Camera Clinic.  They suggested that I have options for repairs and M9-P upgrade, or a potential trade-in for new M240 at a reduced price.  In my case, I want to keep my M9.  Fingers crossed that my M9 won't be away for too long!

• Like 2

Had the sensor replaced in my M-E by Camera Clinic last year (not for corrosion but for a crack). Initially took it into Photoco here in Adelaide where I had purchased it new. They sent it onto CC. The whole process took abut 10 weeks. Couldn't have been happier. The camera came back better than ever.

I contacted the mothership with my requests, and asked if it would be better to deal with Leica Australia or Wetzlar directly.  They advised that Leica Australia will handle it, and passed on the message.  A few days later, Leica Australia contacted me, and now I'll be dealing with Camera Clinic.  They suggested that I have options for repairs and M9-P upgrade, or a potential trade-in for new M240 at a reduced price.  In my case, I want to keep my M9.  Fingers crossed that my M9 won't be away for too long!

Just for interest, what were the upgrade prices?

• 7 months later...

I purchased a Leica Q in US in Dec 2015. Currently, there is a problem with noise and loosen part inside the camera.

Just wondering if it is still under warranty and can be repaired in Australia?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes, as you should have a Leica  international warranty.

Contact Camera clinic.

Update on Leica M9/Monochrom v1 sensor replacements in Australia.

When I dropped in some equipment to Camera Clinic for CLA etc in December I asked Camera Clinic to check the sensor on my Monochrom v1.  I couldn't see any sensor problems but if there was early corrosion it was a good time for me to have the camera in for service.  There was indeed corrosion and a new sensor was fitted.

Turnaround time was just over three weeks: initially waiting for delivery of replacement sensors ,and then it was ready to ship just before the X-Mas/New Year break.  They advised deferring shipment till the first week in Jan when they opened up again, to avoid delayed delivery and it perhaps sitting around in the courier's warehouse, with which I agreed. It was sent back and received by me the first week of January when they opened up again.  

Excellent service and turnaround time.

• Like 3

Yes, as you should have a Leica  international warranty.

Contact Camera clinic.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the information.

I noticed that you live in Sydney. How did you send your camera to Camera Clinic for service?

• Like 1