Leitz 800mm f6.3 Telyt-S ... arrived today

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you very much beoon … the prices fill in a bit more of the jigsaw and help estimate what might be a present day price if was still in production.

Using the RPI, £14600 in 1992 = £27,000 in 2014 (rounded to nearest £ '000.)

More photo experiments are planned … currently exploring more local possibilities and also want to use the lens at Alexandra Palace with the Apo extenders … preferably after a good rain shower to clear the atmosphere and give a clear view of Central London. 

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Dunk,

After reading your post recently for the first time I decided to see what information i could gleam about this lens from my personal Leica literature collection.

1971 Leica General catalogue - Not Listed

1972 Leica General catalogue - Not Listed

1973 Leica General catalogue - Listed, but no code number assigned (no images of the lens)

Hove Camera Price list dated Autumn 1990

11921 - £10,676

by comparison on the same price list

Noctilux f1 - £1,437

M6 & R6 - £1,549

Leica - R system recommended retail price list dated October 1992

11921 Telyt - S   6.3 / 800 £14,600

I also have an original english language brochure (120-48 Engl, dated July 1972) for this lens

1992 ...after 20 years they still insisted to list it... :o ; btw, I have the copy of a letter from Leitz to the previous owner of my 800 6,3 in which they write that the last one left the factory on June 15 of 1994... after 109 regularly numbered lenses made (plus 8-10 prototypes, probably with "00000xx" numbers) 

• Like 1