Leitz 800mm f6.3 Telyt-S ... arrived today

... hmm... difficult it's my one... I'd say that the well known dealer you qoute does not fit within the history of my item... (unless they had made some "busness to business " with the auctioner (Westlicht) who sold to me...

fits pretty sure...;)

regards,

Jan

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Welcome to the 800 club Dunk !!! A lens that is easier to photograph than to take photographs with... :D.

Yours is surely a 2.500.<what?> mine is .874 ... and, you remember right, I got an adapter for Viso mount...

attachicon.gif2/7/6/1/2/294622.attach

Hi Luigi, ... and also the rare photographer who shoots with analog camera :)

Congratulations Luigi

Best regards

Henry

Just ordered a secondhand Zone VI wooden tripod for use with the lens - it will be more stable than my Gitzo and less cumbersome than the Manfrotto 058. I had planned to buy a Berlebach but the Zone VI became available and is a more ££cost effective option.

dunk

I am very interested in seeing the tripod configuration you use. Is the tripod like the below? (Ignore the 8x10 sky camera). It is my very best tripod for steady, vibration resistant use. I cannot help but suggest that the cable release you choose is critical. One that is too stiff or too short can definitely move the camera. I cherish the few long, supple releases I have. Best of luck, and thank you for sharing!

EDIT: I did not see your picture of your tripod before I posted, so this picture is just FYI.

skc1.jpg

Edited by pico

Hello Pico, Your wooden tripod is similar to my Zone VI but the currently used Berlebach h/d tripod is very much more solid. I'm experimenting with the JOBO tripod head and have yet to try the Berlebach pan and tilt head. The advantage of the Berlebach tripod is that it has a built in levelling head. The Jobo Black Widow gimbal is in effect a universal  joint and very smooth in action. 

One anomaly we discovered today when used with M240 cameras via R to M adaptors, is that resultant images show significant vignetting. The Telyt-S lens hood is substantial and was attached correctly. Not sure if the vignetting occurs at every aperture with the M240 … my colleagues mentioned the vignetting after they'd finished experimenting. 

My iphone 3 is is probably a bit too ancient to make use of the vibration app but will investigate. 

Lots more experiments and permutations to attempt with the lens. One variable to work around is the wind speed  - today we used three supports - one under the camera, and two under the lens - but in the strong wind vibration was a still a problem with the DMR - but less so with e.g. an M240 which has much higher usable ISO settings. 

Best wishes

dunk

My tripod is actually an old surveyor's unit. I had the head replaced with a 3/8" thick aluminum plate. I mention that because survey tripods are very reasonably priced compared to photo tripods.

Regarding wind - consider shielding the camera with an umbrella.

My tripod is actually an old surveyor's unit. I had the head replaced with a 3/8" thick aluminum plate. I mention that because survey tripods are very reasonably priced compared to photo tripods.

Regarding wind - consider shielding the camera with an umbrella.

Ref umbrella … today would have resulted in hanging on to brolly with two hands … wind was very strong. 

Surveyor's tripod would work fine …but the Berlebach is probably just as substantial. I also have astro tripods e.g. EQ5 with pillar extension which may try.

Regards

dunk

dunk

One last thing. (there is always one more thing)

You mentioned astro gear, so you might know of  Vibration Suppression Pads. I use the Celestron brand. They are most effective with a  heavy load. Before in-camera or lens stabilization we would sandbag the camera and use similar pads. The new dampening material is good.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions . Yes I am familiar with vibration suppression pads but they are unlikely to have much effect if the whole set-up is blowing in the wind. Today we watched the M240 live view monitors and the images were shaking laterally. Sandbagging would help - but there's a limit as to how much gear I can transport - today my trolley was almost full to capacity. Hopefully next time we use the lens the wind will not be a problem.

Looking at today's downloaded images (but not yet PP'd) a few are sharp enough to suggest that using e.g. the DMR, and 800mm Telyt -S plus 2x, and stacked 2x plus 1.4x, APO extenders, decent images are possible. Whether they are worthwhile is another matter e.g. images of parts of signs 250 metres distant are pure technical exercises. However, such images could have practical uses e.g. photo-examination/documentation of church spires and similar inaccessible architectural subjects. 

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

• 4 weeks later...

Dunk,

After reading your post recently for the first time I decided to see what information i could gleam about this lens from my personal Leica literature collection.

1971 Leica General catalogue - Not Listed

1972 Leica General catalogue - Not Listed

1973 Leica General catalogue - Listed, but no code number assigned (no images of the lens)

Hove Camera Price list dated Autumn 1990

11921 - £10,676

by comparison on the same price list

Noctilux f1 - £1,437

M6 & R6 - £1,549

Leica - R system recommended retail price list dated October 1992

11921 Telyt - S   6.3 / 800 £14,600

I also have an original english language brochure (120-48 Engl, dated July 1972) for this lens