I love my Leica R!

dave.gt

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as of yesterday, the wait was over. As Joachim says, there was much anticipation.

I am not sure if that anticipation was negative though. It reminded me about the day out again which was great, where normally with instant gratification of digital, the euphoria may have long passed. The service I used took longer than I expected. I think the rekindled interest in "develop and scan" services is great though so am not going be critical since the lab are inundated at the moment. :D

Here is one of my pics, taken in Norwich city centre w/R7/50 cron. Kodak "cheap" consumer grade film.

8921288979_3972c5f8cb_o.jpg

Cheers, Julian

• 2 years later...

Ok, time to revive this old thread...

I have been trying to set up a kit for birding. Nothing serious but for shooting in the backyard within 100' of our back window.

I pulled the R4 out to check the battery and thought briefly about a telyt lens for it. Seems cheap enough!!!

So, I think I wil be back shooting my R4 if I get this sorted out.

me too

That looks just like my new 'love'. Managed to get an absolutely mint (seems unused inc. unfitted Leica batteries - dead as Dodos - and no marks on the battery cover, etc.) R6.2, which arrived yesterday and is now the default choice for the 35-70mm f4 macro zoom, which is also fantastic. I love it; so small and compact yet as solid as anything and with such a bright finder, on par with my equally beloved OM2.

That looks just like my new 'love'. Managed to get an absolutely mint (seems unused inc. unfitted Leica batteries - dead as Dodos - and no marks on the battery cover, etc.) R6.2, which arrived yesterday and is now the default choice for the 35-70mm f4 macro zoom, which is also fantastic. I love it; so small and compact yet as solid as anything and with such a bright finder, on par with my equally beloved OM2.

I've got the exact same combination (except my R6.2 is some way off mint these days) and even after several years' use I still get a thrill from going out and about with it. Be good to see your photos when you get some done

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got the exact same combination (except my R6.2 is some way off mint these days) and even after several years' use I still get a thrill from going out and about with it. Be good to see your photos when you get some done

Hopefully I'll get chance to use it next week - have a busy end of week with work and kids etc. - and it's ready and loaded with Scala 200 BW slide film in its newly dedicated Crumpler bag. It really is such a lovely device.

• 1 month later...

Well, it has been a long time coming...my R4 has been languishing far too long. Having sold my R8 last year, I was very sad to see it go along with my 80 Lux. At least the M6 is still in my bag but I it can only do so much.

An SLR is so much more versatile.

Now I want the R8 again. With a 35 Lux...

But I have to wait for the lottery winnings to come in I suppose. The R4 is ready to fill the void if I can find a nice 35 or 50 lux.

I love my R cameras!

An SLR is so much more versatile.

Now I want the R8 again. With a 35 Lux...

The R4 is ready to fill the void if I can find a nice 35 or 50 lux.

Interesting.  I never thought a SLR as being more versatile than a rangefinder.

With lens improvements always being updated for the M line, I thought it would be nice to have the most updated 35mm lens to go with a M6 or more likely, a M7.  The APO SUMMICRON-R 90mm f/2 ASPH I have, has always used with my R9.  And so not having to switch lenses, I thought it would be nice to simply pick up the 2nd camera to shoot with a 35mm angle.

Even so, I have though of going with a R 28mm lens, as I think the latest of those is better than the latest R 35mm lens.  Hence, getting a film M camera with the most updated M 35mm seems to be the solution...except of course for having to carry around two cameras instead of just one extra lens.   

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if "love" is the right term, but I do like my recent purchase of a consignment R3 with the Elmarit-R 2.8/28.  A bit hard to focus, with such a small split image circle, but then looking through a yellow filter may not have helped.  My first roll through it was some T-Max 100, and the reason for the filter was building storm clouds in the evening sun. 

I should have waited until I put some seals in it though, as every frame save the first one has a massive light strike, likely from the door hinge.  I'm also not sure if the meter system is wonky or not, as exposures were all over the place.  Mind you, I was switching settings so much, I lost track of which shots were done in manual, and which ones in Automatic.  I did remember one time purposely switching from Integrated to Selective, and that worked out well.  I also like the way it handles, and may later on get an R3 Mot body.

The lens had its original hood which takes the Series VII filters (and here I thought that little wheel was for turning Polarizer filters with the left thumb), and I've gotten the proper caps for it.  I have on order the 3.5/35-70, and the 4.5/75-200 so that I'll be covered for a while.  Primes will be procured as they fit into the budget, or if a good deal comes along.

Examples of the first roll below.

First frame came out well.

27425439185_7b84d8d516_z.jpg

Scudding Along by P F McFarland, on Flickr

The rest of the roll was like this.

27425442945_9d45c97290_z.jpg

Dreaded Light by P F McFarland, on Flickr

One of the salvaged images.

27425449955_76455f36b1_z.jpg

Broken by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Getting close to the brambles.  And too dark.

27425452975_4e2fb1b882_z.jpg

Blackberry by P F McFarland, on Flickr

One of the totally ruined shots.  The clouds made a nice backdrop though.

27391293326_90151956c3_z.jpg

Signals by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Spot metering works good.

27149214300_33c1b56596_z.jpg

Silent Light by P F McFarland, on Flickr

The lens has very good flare control.

27353845921_f25cc657da_z.jpg

Our Star by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Hope to get the seals replaced soon, and start testing the meter system again.

PF

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum PF, nice shots, and nice to see the enjoyment side of the hobby shining through. Be sure to visit and post within the "I Like Film" section as well.

I agree, get the seals done (can you do them yourself even?) and go from there.

Gary

Hi PF!

Just replace the film-window seal, then you will be sorted. Don't think, the seal of the hinge will cause a problem. Never had issues with that, even on cameras, where the seal was completely gone.

The little window seal you still get from the Leica service. If you lucky, they post it for free.

Alternatively, just put some dark tape over the film-window  ;)

Enjoy the R3!  :)

Torsten

Edited by wagner

Thanks, Torsten.  I have located a source for a complete seal set, and will be ordering one soon.  I still think it's the hinge seal, because you can see streaks where the light worked it's way through multiple layers of film, which you only get on the take-up side of the camera.  I also ordered some instruction manuals, and a Hove Press book.

PF