Dreaming for X2

huzel

• 5 weeks later...

Hmmm...the compact size should be retained even if going the interchangeable lens route. The last we need is another Nikon 1/NEX clone that won't fit in a pocket.

Maybe a series of lenses like the Perar 28mm and 35mm lenses?;)

• 1 month later...

I have been using the X1 for a year. It is my first digital camera. I am very content with its performance, but I with to make a couple of suggestions for impovements.

I want the JPEGs to respond more like film. I think it would be neat to have a kind of gradual tungsten film emulation, operating like the bracketing function, for indoors and yellow light environments.

I would also like a button, like a depth of view button on an older camera, that would focus and close diaphragm. This would improve the shutter release response. It would be very useful with the viewfinder.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a satisfied user of the x1 since more than one year. What more could I desire? A similar size body with two interchangeable lenses: 36 eq (as the x1 which cover 2/3 of my shooting) and a small tele (75-90 eq) which I miss for the other third of my shooting. Of course a viewfinder as the one of the x1 with additional frame lines for the tele.

For my use of digital it would be perfect. Waiting for the new "at least aps-c size system".

robert

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm interesting thread. Things I'd like to see in an X2:

1. Definitely improved AF

2. 24mm Summicron (vs Elmarit--focal length is my preference).

3. LED indicator for both target and AF lock as well as dual arrows for manual exposure balancing (a la M6) in the OVF (via an electrical contact in the hot shoe).

4. Hi IQ at higher ISO (say 6400).

Don't think EVF necessary at this time but if that were the case, suggestion 3 could be implemented that way. Also make AF lens interchangeable with M lenses and have Sony's clever MF 'Peaking" feature for sharp manual focus in the EVF.)

Just my 2.00000004 cents.

Does anyone besides me think the x2 is going to a full frame prime lens camera? Just wondering?

Seems reasonable. Leica rumors has hinted that the sensor in the rumored X2 would be 18 MP. I'm sure there must be a lot of extra sensors around Solms so that would make sense. On the other hand maybe Leitz got a great deal from Canon's 7D and 60D cast offs. :)

I cannot see that Leica would introduce another interchangeable lens range.

They know it HAS to be autofocus to compete with Fuji and other mirrorless cameras, and it's going to be too expensive to create yet another AF mount 'system'.

They know it has to be reasonably compact and has to trump Fuji XPro1 on lens quality.

They know they have to deal with and resolve low light AF issues, and if they can they will feel sure this can justify a hefty X100 premium.

I can see that they could combine a 18+ MP sensor with a fixed lens of similar length to the X1.

Personally I would like to see a fixed lens with aperture adjustment on the lens barrel, with low light AF performance accuracy AND speed so consistent and so quiet, that rather like the Hexar AF before it, there would be little need for a fast manual focus solution.

They can raise the pixel count, and do pretty much anything else in terms of upping the feature count, BUT unless they radically improve low light focusing and turn it into a genuine stealth camera, I for one shall stay with the wonderful X1.

In the meantime I shall use the Hexar AF 35mm for shooting where I don't want the subject to be aware of when they are being photographed. Nothing beats it for that.

My expectation is as follows (just wait and see)

X2 the same as X1 (with minor upgrades like quicker response etc) but 21mm F.2.8

X3 the same as X2 but 50mm f:2.8 + minor upgrades

X4 the same as X3 but 35mm summicron + minor upgrades

X5 the same as X4 but 21mm summicron + minor upgrades etc...

Upgrades will be quicker response, higher megapixels (unimportant at all), higher ISO, may be an integrated viewfinder, etc.

If this will be the case, it seems I will buy them all (something like every 2 or 3 years or so).

Best,

Hi All,

I think if you look at the sensors that Nikon and Sony are using in their newest APS-C cameras you will get a good idea of the what an X2 may offer, 16MP and 2 stops high ISO improvement? I think it would need to do what it does now more quickly and a little better (manual focus etc). Could they make the lens a Summicron without having to make the camera much bigger? Personally the size is the main strength of the X1, for me if it were any bigger it would then need to hang around my neck and then I could use something else.

• Like 1

It is interesting to speculate on how the Leica X1 might evolve. There have been some imaginative and a few unrealistic suggestions. (For example adding a faster lens without increasing size) Am I dreaming for an X2? Frankly, no. I am more likely to be found enjoying my X1 and other Leica kit. Their full potential will always be testing my skill level as I tackle different and challenging subjects. If I think my equipment is inadequate, I will be swift in finding an alternative solution. Without that constant challenge I might have time to dream about an X2. :) But I do hope that Leica brings to market some truly progressive and competitive new products to extend their survival prospects. At present, I do not count myself in the market for anything Leica introduces in May, but I would like them to be accessible in the future.