film ruined by airport security

sksaito

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I HAD to take a roll of Ilford delta 100 still in my camera through airport security. I'm a beginner photographer so I have no experience in this matter. I thought the lower ASA films are okay and the higher ASA films have problems from security scanning. It got ruined; none of the exposures came out. Is there a canister or some protective case I can use to transport film through the airport? If so, where do I get them?

Wen you say "didn't come out" can you be more specific? Blank? Black? Fogged? Sprocket holes visible? Banding? I doubt that you have suffered from x-ray damage. I suspect something considerably more mundane.

Regards,

Bill

Airport scanners are perfectly safe with films, even with multiple passes. If you put film in lead bags or similar, they just turn up the x-rays do that they can see inside. I put mine in a clear plastic bag and place that separately on the conveyor, which means they don't need to use a higher power. I have never had a fogging problem, even with films that have been on several trips.

Try another film now you are not going through the airport and see what the results are.

Edited by andybarton

If your film was really ruined by an x-ray scanner (unlikely these days), you can always do a book with the pictures:

photo-eye Bookstore | Rob Hornstra: Safety First | photo book

Safety First is entirely composed of negatives which were damaged by x-ray scanners during our stay in Grozny. In the Chechen capital, these scanners are not only placed at the entrance to the airport or government buildings, but also to shops, gyms, restaurants and outside on squares.
This was probably due to ancient scanners that put out about half the radiation of the Chernobyl reactor disaster.

Modern scanners in modern airports are supposed to be safe for all film that is ISO 1600 or slower. Key word being supposed.

My approach is to always ask for a hand inspection of my film. In U.S. airports, security people are required by law to hand check your film. In other nations, hand checks are a crap shoot - so I have read.

I had a hand check at Gatwick last year, but it pays to suss out the underlying ambience in the security room. I had a roll of Delta 3200 in my clear plastic bag, especially. I'm growing rather fond of that roll - it's been on holiday with me many times.

If they're busy, forget it. If not, ask very nicely, and they will probably do it for you. Chances are they'll swab your toothbrush for Semtex too, though.

Given that x-rays at airports are safe for film these days, it's not something that worries me at all.

Airport xray machines are safe for multiple passes of even fastest film.

That is not what the link to the TSA says:

----------------------------------------------------

At the passenger security checkpoint, you should remove the following types of film from your carry-on baggage and ask for a hand inspection:

Film with an ASA/ISO 800 or higher

Highly sensitive X-ray, medical or scientific films

Film of any speed which is subjected to X-ray surveillance more than 5 times (the effect of X-ray screening is cumulative)

Film that is or will be underexposed

Film that you intend to 'push process'

Sheet, large format and motion picture film

It seems clear that the concern is over low level fogging of the film in the shadow region and they assume you won't notice this if your images are not going to be "underexposed." They certainly do not say that the X-rays do not have any effect on film. Just that it probably won't matter to you for the films that don't fall into the above categories.

So if low speed film responds to a cumulative low power X-ray exposure that can noticeably damage film after 6 times through the scanner, how is it that nothing is significantly changed on the first 5 passes?

But I agree that if the film in question was damaged by X-ray screening, there would still be images on it and the damage would not be uniform.

Edited by AlanG

I don't know what TSA is, but you can check the data on scanner manufacturers websites quite easily.

That is not what the link to the TSA says:

----------------------------------------------------

At the passenger security checkpoint, you should remove the following types of film from your carry-on baggage and ask for a hand inspection:

Film with an ASA/ISO 800 or higher

Highly sensitive X-ray, medical or scientific films

Film of any speed which is subjected to X-ray surveillance more than 5 times (the effect of X-ray screening is cumulative)

Film that is or will be underexposed

Film that you intend to 'push process'

Sheet, large format and motion picture film

It seems clear that the concern is over low level fogging of the film in the shadow region and they assume you won't notice this if your images are not going to be "underexposed." They certainly do not say that the X-rays do not have any effect on film. Just that it probably won't matter to you for the films that don't fall into the above categories.

So if low speed film responds to a cumulative low power X-ray exposure that can noticeably damage film after 6 times through the scanner, how is it that nothing is significantly changed on the first 5 passes?

But I agree that if the film in question was damaged by X-ray screening, there would still be images on it and the damage would not be uniform.

The TSA is the Border Control Agency in the US. They are the ones with the special keys to open your luggage - the keys that no one else in the whole world has... :o

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Just a slight correction for those who have an interest. TSA has considerable "border control" authority at points of entry along our borders, but is not dedicated to them. And while several entities (DEA, Customs, INS, et al,), along with TSA, have considerable presence along our borders, the only agency that is exclusively dedicated to border security is the highly efficient, very competent and often much maligned Border Patrol. Of course all of them are part of the incredibly large, confused, insanely organized, Alice in Wonderland spawned Department of Homeland Security. regards, ron

• Like 1

I don't know what TSA is, but you can check the data on scanner manufacturers websites quite easily.

Since the people who actually buy and run the equipment (TSA) made those recommendations regarding scanning film, why wouldn't you believe them?