CF card for D-LUX 5

cederic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first ever Leica, a D-LUX 5 Titanium, arrived this morning, and I'm having to learn an awful lot (including Adobe Lightroom) while I wait for the battery to charge.

One thing I hadn't thought to check beforehand was whether the camera came with a CF card. As I now know that it doesn't, can anybody recommend a high capacity high quality card that will work with it?

Thanks in advance, from a photographic amateur that's itching to go and play..

Yep, realised that moments after posting but couldn't find an 'edit' button :)

Is a class 6/10 SDHC needed or can I go for a larger capacity but slower SDCX? Or it the correct answer to cheat and carry two SDHC cards?

For the moment I'm using a 16GB class 10 and playing with the myriad of camera modes in the "lit by a 60W incandescent" dimness of my house..

• Like 1

Cederic,

Welcome to the forum!

The Edit button appears at the bottom-right of your post for about an hour.

I thoroughly recommend The Photographer's Guide to the Leica D-Lux 5 by Alexander S White, which leaves the manual for dead because it's written from a photographers point of view and includes lots of tips and tricks for the DL5.

Pete.

Thanks for the recommendation. Based on the extract on the website and various reviews I'm not sure it's worthwhile - the PDF manual covers all the various modes, I've shot 199 photos testing various settings and the only thing that book blurb mentions that would be interesting to try is infra-red - but I'll wait until I'm more used to taking 'normal' photos with it before I go near that.

So I'll give it a miss for the moment, but might come back to it if I hit brick walls..

You don't need such a large or fast card - 4 or 8 Gb class 6 would be fine. Better a few smallish cards than one large one. If you lose it/it gets stolen /it gets corrupted/ the dog eats it/ you leave it in the wash in your pocket etc. you lose everything. Remember the eggs in the basket ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...