Movie Mode and the M10

Rick

....Leica knows its failed with the M8/M9....

What is your definition of succes if these failures both sold triple the number of cameras projected?:confused: The M9 is still going strong - it'll probably reach four or fivefold.:rolleyes:
  • Like 4

I don't think too many people are so ignorant that they will expect their home movies to rival Hollywood productions even if they bought a Panavision camera.

The way I see it is that the Leica rangefinder was originally part of a comprehensive system that was very versatile for its time. Eventually people turned to SLRs for many of these applications because it was more straightforward than using various Leica reflex and viewing accessories for these uses. And Leica stopped making many of the accessories and lenses that fell out of favor. At this point the M became a much less versatile tool. Countless photographers found they needed an SLR in order to do the range of photography they required. (Many had the M and an SLR system.)

But now with the adoption of live view, Leica will be able to add back all of this versatility and more. Movie mode will just be one aspect of this but it will be necessary to keep the camera as capable as all of the DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. Some people will use the movie mode a lot and some won't use it at all. There are all kinds of accessories, lenses, and features in various camera systems that expand the usefulness but may not have universal appeal. E.g. I bet most photographers don't use long exposure settings very often but some do. And Leica seems to think it is important to make 4 different 50mm and 3 different 35mm lenses for some reason.

Edited by AlanG

And you could just use your cell phone instead of your Leica to shoot still photos at Grandma's 90th birthday.

By the way Pico, how old was grandma when she gave birth to your mother?

What a strange question, Alan. Is there a joke in there somewhere?

Almost 30, I think. Mom was the youngest of five. For my mother it was the same for four children but somehow she managed to get a Masters degrees at the same time. Amazing woman. Died in her sleep last Mothers' day at 87 years-old.

Spreading Mother's ashes below Pikes Peak, Colorado.

--

Pico - Still grieving

What a strange question, Alan. Is there a joke in there somewhere?

Almost 30, I think. Mom was the youngest of five. For my mother it was the same for four children but somehow she managed to get a Masters degrees at the same time. Amazing woman. Died in her sleep last Mothers' day at 87 years-old.

Spreading Mother's ashes below Pikes Peak, Colorado.

--

Pico - Still grieving

The joke was that you seem to be a gentleman who is nearly 60 (in your 60s?) talking about filming his 90 year old grandmother's birthday. I'm 59 and my grandmother would be about 125 if she were still alive. But if she and my mom each gave birth at 15 then her 90th would be coming up. ;)

Edited by AlanG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think too many people are so ignorant that they will expect their home movies to rival Hollywood productions even if they bought a Panavision camera.

I will guarantee that if the M10 has video, it will be compared to Professional Video equipment. I can see the M10 forum threads now, Why can't my M10 produce Cinimascope movies. People expect perfection from a $10,000 camera.

Look how many threads there are now saying how come my M9 cannot do this or that, or that ISO is too low, or.... you name the complaint. Or better yet, look at this thread.

Considering the time-wasting struggle I am having running my wife's holiday video (one year behind, 2011 is still in the camera:() through iMovie I cannot imagine that anybody at all would like to have a video option on a still camera.:mad: And yes, I have Premiere as well, and I cannot even face starting to learn that program.

I have been long considering replacing my "compact" digital Leicas (D2, X1) with an M9 and one reason that is preventing me from going ahead is that I find M9 already too full with unnecessary functions compared to my MP. Adding a video mode to the upcoming M10 will grow my hesitation to a clear NO.

Thumb down for a video-employing M10 from me.

Paul

I realize that I am a little different than most of today's people.

Yes, I have a cell phone, but it is very basic.

It can capture video clips, but there is lots of fiddling with all the menus I have to work myself down through.

Moreover, I regularly forget to bring it with me, and too often it is without power.:o

My film based Leica, however, I've always available in the car or backpack. It never runs out of power.:)

Basically I do not like the idea of taking video footage with a possible new digital Leica.

But, it is often so that it hardly cost anything extra to add such a feature, and I don’t have to use it.

Sometimes it happens that we by coincidence experiencing for instance exciting, action-filled or fun events in which a good video function may be more convenient to use than still images.

If you are lucky and are in the right place at the right time with a “camcorder” when something special happens, you can actually earn a bit of money selling footage to a TV or media company.

I would certainly prefer to take a video like this with a new Leica, rather than with a stupid fiddled cell phone, which I probably have not remembered to bring with me anyway.;)

• Like 1

Janki,

I never bothered to figure out how to really operate those impossible to figure out cell phones until the iPhone came along. To operate that one is trivial for me.

I don't know what works for you. Maybe you should invest a little time and try out what works for you.

If you are happy with your current gadgets, please ignore my post.

As for cameras. I invested the time to figure out my Nikons. That took some effort.

After that, the M9 was very easy to figure out.

Best, K-H.

• Like 1