arghhg... the mental anguish

FTI

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The optical cell of the Summicron 40 can easily be removed from the focussing mount by unscrewing one chuck. The focussing mechanism can then be cleaned and lubricated. The elements of the optical cell can be removed from the barrel and cleaned one after another and replaced the same way, but the lens is, as mentioned, pretty well sealed so this is often not needed..

• Like 1

once you've convinced the wife you've changed your mind for the m8 + zeiss, you're never going to re-convince her or justify that you want to upgrade later to an m9. having said that, i'm looking for a used m8.2..

hahaha ain't that the truth. I'm less worried about the financial aspect of this endeavour than going through another round of convincing the misses. Although I think I've burned my bridges plenty a times, so she's smart enough to know that nothing is final with me...despite my earnest approaches :D I think it must have started back in the nineties with my first digicam ohh... which btw was a Leica branded fuji (God I loved that thing - still have it somewhere).

So the quest is still on :D

Get the M9 and some leica lenses. ignoring sharpness the M8 sensor is a step back form your d700, I've owned and sold both.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy.

The camera body doesn't consist of exclusively the sensor and therefore can't be compared to another system camera on that base alone!

Since the moment, I bought my M8.2 about two years ago or so, I hardly touched the Nikon D3 anymore, despite it's far superior sensor (apart from detail, sharpness and tonality at lower ISO speeds).

One could argue - it's just the size and weight, which is the reason for that, but far from it!

I am a big man, who can take lugging a D3 and 300 VR all day, shooting them handheld on a race track with no complaints.

No, it is the absolutely superior handling, simplistic (read focussed or essential) control layout, the absolutely superb lenses and the simply stunning B&W output, I get from the M8.2, which makes it a WAY superior camera for my shooting over the D3.

Of course, the Nikon has a better sensor - it has more MP :p, better colors, a higher native ISO rating, much better DR, …

In the end is the question - Does it matter?

The M8.2 is to me an upgrade to a Nikon D700, for others, it might not be (hence my advise, to reflect about low light shooting and high ISO demand from the person, who thinks about switching one system to another).

If you are regularly hitting ISO6400 with the D700, the 1 1/2 stop advantage of the M9 over the M8 with usable ISO1250 won't matter much to you, as the files still look like crap, pushed to ISO 6400 or even just ISO 3200, using a faster lens, compared to the D700 shot.

If one is occasionally shooting @ ISO3200, but otherwise staying below ISO640, the M8 can be a wonderful camera with a wonderful sensor.

If that person is shooting mainly B&W, like me, even more so!

As I stated, in good light, I have absolutely zero preferences of the M9 over the M8.2 and just choose according mounted focal length. When needing higher ISO, I grab a film body any way.

The Nikon D3 is pensioned to scan negatives with a macro lens and of course, to shoot long lens motor sport, where the APO-Telyt reaches it's limits (best on the M8 sensor by the way ;))

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

....very carefully.. I just want to say that this time tomorrow I may just be the proud owner of an M8.2 with a 28mm Elmarit.... :D

Found someone who wanted to get on the DSLR wagon.

Thanks to you guys and Menos for keeping my options open to consider an M8 as well.

Anyhow, will post some pics soon ... hopefully. :D

Good Luck

&

Good Shooting!

....very carefully.. I just want to say that this time tomorrow I may just be the proud owner of an M8.2 with a 28mm Elmarit.... :D

Found someone who wanted to get on the DSLR wagon.

Thanks to you guys and Menos for keeping my options open to consider an M8 as well.

Anyhow, will post some pics soon ... hopefully. :D