Most Shutter Actuations on an M9

photolandscape

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got a question I downloaded this to my Imac but do not know how to get this to open? It comes up on the screen but every time I put my sd card into the computer it opens in iphoto.

Dumb as- me needs some help. Please

Jan

If you can't get that to open the Unique Image ID that you need for the shutter actuations is displayed in the EXIF information viewable in Adobe Bridge, then all you need is to Google a hexadecimal converter.

Steve

Got a question I downloaded this to my Imac but do not know how to get this to open? It comes up on the screen but every time I put my sd card into the computer it opens in iphoto.

If you want to change the default application for opening a certain file type (globally, not just for one instance):

> click on one of the file icons in a finder window

> click command-i

> look for the arrow next to Open With and twirl it open

> change the popup menu to the application you want as default

> then hit the Change All... button underneath that and confirm

I just logged in with a question about actuation's and saw this post- I might take a little detour and ask if anyone can tell me how many shots my M9 has managed over the last 18 months? I am pretty certain it isn't any record... I just can find the data in LR?? here is an image- can an expert please tell me:

You can also use this program.

It's nice to use:

M9Info E

Thats the one I am trying to get to work, Loaded it got it in the dock. But can't get the sd icon to go in there. Card also comes up as no name on the computer.

If the M9 symbol is on the dock, just doubleclic on the symbol. Then an empty " card " show itself on the desktop.

Drag a DNG from you M9 files into the " card " it will everything you want to know.

Edited by Paulus

If the M9 symbol is on the dock, just doubleclic on the symbol. Then an empty " card " show itself on the desktop.

Place a DNG from you M9 files into the " card " it will everything you want to know.

It looks like this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thats the one I am trying to get to work, Loaded it got it in the dock. But can't get the sd icon to go in there. Card also comes up as no name on the computer.

You can't get a sd icon in there, only a DNG. Jpeg doesn't work.

Well very interesting, I was wondering if my friend had used my camera while he had it ( I needed a loan )

well answer was no camera only has 227 shutter actuations on it.

Time for me to start using it and do the film ware upgrades. Heck the warranty is long expired. Got this thing when it first came out then my job shut down and well my pension just didn't cut it. Any way things are looking up thanks to all for teaching me how to use the M9 program.

Thanks for everyones help.

CHEERS and Happy New Year to all.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how many shots a typical amateur user shoots per year, but if it's 10,000, then your 100,000 threshold is going to give you 10 years at that rate ( <- truism)

In this scenario, you're probably going to have bought a new camera by then.

An M is for life. But only if you put film into it.

Thank's Andy,

I use to have IIIF, M3, M4, M6, MPs and I know how strong they are built.. I just wonder if someone use very hard an M9 , let's say 30-40k / year or more, wich not unusual in professional photography ..

So it could be interesting to post how many actuations one have.. for example I have 17k on a 2009 m9..

Let's see.... is there anybody with 40.. 50.. 70..100k actuations ? trouble free ? it could be an good way to find the Achiles hell of the m9 . other tha sd card read/write.
Why should it be an Achilles heel?:confused:Leica has a Copal shutter, like Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, etc....:rolleyes: And it is rather quiet on the SD front nowadays, since Leica and Sandisk sorted their differences.

Thank you Jaapv for the answer. I think every system has an week point.. That could be , in case of an digital photocamera, the shutter or the sensor and the electronics inside..and so on..

I was just curious to heare about someone who run am M9 ( or even M8) for long term and with heavy use.. I think 100k actuations it's not much for an Leica. If I remeber well the mechanical shutter of an M3 could run problems free for some 400k actuations.. I know it's a different story.. but if an M9 could be used for 150-200k ? not sure about, but hope so -)

Nobody in the forum has take over 100k ?

It also depends how you are using your camera. With Canon pro you can spray and pray at 8-10fps. The shutter is tested for at least ard 400.000 actuations I think. The M9 shutter should last even longer, since you are barely using it in continuous mode (at the absurd speed of 2fps?!? :)))

• 1 year later...

Over the past 3 years here we have seen many M9 cameras come through the shop for sale in our used department, some with 500 shots on the shutter, and some with 50,000. At the moment, I have an M9 for sale with a bit over 40,000 shots on it. I've only ever had to have one M9's shutter replaced (out of many hundreds of cameras that I've handled), and that was an M9-P with only 1,000 shots on it that was dropped by the owner.

I think users place too much emphasis on M9 actuations when purchasing a camera. I know many of my customers are using cameras with over 50,000 shots on them and are still going strong. What's more important that the shot count when purchasing a used M9 is knowing how the previous owner treated the camera - ask about any drops or impacts, and if they cleaned the sensor themselves or had a professional do it. Whenever we take a used M9 on trade-in, the first thing I do is send it to Leica USA for a cleaning and checkup. The main issues I see are out-of-calibration rangefinders, dirty or scratched sensors, and dented bottom plates.

• Like 3