The NEX 7 Leica lens thread

eleskin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the test was made with wrong focus of the Leica Lens. Why should the lens perfom so bad in the center? In the center there is no microlens shift. So the NEX7 should be with the Leica lens as sharp as the lens with the Leica M9/8.

Let's wait for a better made test.

Kind regards,

Bernd.

Indeed the rendering at center is SO bad that the fear of a grossly wrong focus comes to mind... but, alas, is Luminous Landscape... one can assume that even when non-scientific, their tests are made with a certain care...:confused:

Indeed the rendering at center is SO bad that the fear of a grossly wrong focus comes to mind... but, alas, is Luminous Landscape... one can assume that even when non-scientific, their tests are made with a certain care...:confused:

maybe it's caused by the Sony/Zeiss guy who was hitting him with a baseball bat every time he was about to shoot with the Summilux :D

I would make no such assumption: since long ago Recihmann came out with the evaluation that the 1260 Epson printer neutral gray with no colour cast :right out of the box". That was so manifestly wrong that after that I never trusted his judgment. In this case, though, I looked only at the corner shots, and when I read what berndr wrote about about the wrong focus with the Summilux 24, I looked back and was comparison on the NEX-7 and was astounded I had not really looked at the center shots.

—Mitch/Manila

Paris au rythme de Basquiat

See the latest update. He is saying the 24'Lux might have been accidently defocused during handling. He will re-do the test once he can get the combination together again.

N.S. Ng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Updated, indeed... :o

<quote LL>

Update: I have been told by some people that the test below may be flawed, and that the 24mm Summulux was slightly defocused because it couldn't be that bad on-center. This is quite possible, since this wasn't performed under controlled studio conditions, and the lens may well have become accidentally defocused during handling. I intend to repeat this test as soon as I can put this combination of gear together again. I regret any confusion this may have caused

<end>

Ok... not so slightly, if it indeed was defocused (is a 24, after all...) ; anyway, regret welcome... let's wait for further test... indeed the comparision Lux 24 / Zeiss 24 is very intriguing and worths a well done test...

OK but are there offset microlenses on the Sony sensor? If not it's not made for M lenses is it?

They ARE.. but (differently from Ricoh...) they do not DECLARE that are specifically tailored for M mount flange distance....:o

Oh, well... Luminous Landscape "test" has proved inconsistent... let's wait for official release and serious tests... they will be made surely...

• Like 2

BTW... about Leica WAs on Nex line... Gunnar "echorec" (Historical section - Thread "new meets old..." post # 25) has quickly proved that an Elmarit 28 does nothing strange on a Nex 3c...

Luigi

I don't trust Luminous Landscapes either. So far off is not possible.

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

The other exciting part of the NEX-7 is that since the sensor to flange distance is so small, virtually all other lenses can be adapted. Not only would I be able to use my Leica M lenses, but I could also use all my old Canon FD lenses that have been gathering dust for the past few years.

We will eventually see some proper comparisons of image quality with M-lenses between the NEX-7 and GXR M-Module. However, the jury is still out on the NEX-5N. There is a comparison between the latter and the M-Module with the 40mm Nokton, which asserts that despite the higher 16MP sensor count of the NEX-5N it has lower resolution than the M-Module (12MP) because there is an AA filter, but this comparison is not rigorous enough.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Ricoh GXR M-Module with Leica Elmarit-21 ASPH Lens

Guest Holy Moly

Mich, due to the different design between M and R + SLR lenses it might be that the NEX5/7 are capable to handle these lenses very well.

For M users it's different due to the Mount which is in M specifications.

But what about the mount when SLR lenses are adapted? Are the shifted microlenses contraproductive because of their angle of orientation?

• 2 weeks later...

The idea of using my M lenses on a mirror-less camera (particularly a Nex 7 when it becomes available) sounds appealing to me. However, all of the reviews and discussions that I have found so far do not specifically explain the necessary steps to a decent exposure. For anyone who has actually used an M lens on a mirror-less camera - exactly what do you do?

For example, do you focus stopped down to your taking aperture or do you focus wide open then stop down after focus is achieved? Do you set the camera on aperture priority or is the exposure a completely manual process? Is one adapter superior to another when using M lenses?

The idea of using my M lenses on a mirror-less camera (particularly a Nex 7 when it becomes available) sounds appealing to me. However, all of the reviews and discussions that I have found so far do not specifically explain the necessary steps to a decent exposure. For anyone who has actually used an M lens on a mirror-less camera - exactly what do you do?

For example, do you focus stopped down to your taking aperture or do you focus wide open then stop down after focus is achieved? Do you set the camera on aperture priority or is the exposure a completely manual process? Is one adapter superior to another when using M lenses?

For what has been read till now, seems that the normal way is to focus wide open , then stop down in case and use AE aperture priority; but both NEX and Ricoh have facilities to focus even with diaphragm not wide open, thus enjoying a certain control on OOF... is one of the interesting features of those systems, even if undoubtly a matter of discussion about their effectiveness.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Just like an old fashioned pre auto camera in many respects, focus at full aperture of course, then stop down for exposure, which you can measure before or after focussing, either setting shutter speed manually or (in the case of my Pana G1 at least) you can use aperture priority when it works the same as 'stop down metering' did on older auto cameras. This is better than such cameras as the cheaper Nikon digital bodies (anything less than a D300) where for some reason they don't allow 'stop down metering' thus disabling the metering with non AF lenses, an incredible (to me) piece of blatant pressure to spend more money!

From Gerry, who grew up with preset lenses and separate meters, and spent many years using a Sinar, experiences all young photographers should have to 'get back to basics' (IMHO of course!)

Thank you all for the tips and references on using M lenses with the new mirror-less cameras. I'm an old timer who grew up using handheld meters and full manual exposure, so going essentially back to full manual operation would not be strange to me. That said however, I do appreciate the convenience of in-camera metering and aperture priority shooting!