Experience with iPhone as light meter?

philipus

Thanks Steve. Is there one in particular you found more easy to use?

As a tangent, in case it would be of interest for someone: I've used the app Expositor (paid-for but inexpensive) to estimate exposure values and it works well.

cheers

Philip

I use pocket light meter when using my m3, it is accurate enough for slide film and as it is on my iphone always with me, very convenient and makes my m3 more fun to use, i also know exactly what i am metering as opposed to the vcmeter which can be fooled in a backlit situation

Nik

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use pocket light meter when using my m3, it is accurate enough for slide film and as it is on my iphone always with me, very convenient and makes my m3 more fun to use, i also know exactly what i am metering as opposed to the vcmeter which can be fooled in a backlit situation

Nik

Thanks Nik. This is precisely how I was thinking of using it :D Good to hear it is accurate enough for slides, too.

cheers

philip

Thanks Nik. This is precisely how I was thinking of using it :D Good to hear it is accurate enough for slides, too.

cheers

philip

Though fair warning, Pocket Light Meter is accurate, but it is slow. It takes a few seconds for the reading to stabilize. No fault of the app, but that's how the iPhone auto-exposure works. I actually missed a few shots when I first got it because I would wait for the reading. Now I just meter to get a general idea and use my guess work for it.

• Like 1

I use the Pocket Light Meter as well - because the phone is always in my pocket.

I find it to be accurate adjusting with my own take on Sunny16.

Should you find it off a stop or two -there is an EV correction utility (+/- 1/3) in the menu!

It has stopped me from buying a Digisix or VCII for now.

• Like 3

I've being using the app called Light Meter for a couple of months. Whatever it reads, I've started overexposing by one or two stops because otherwise my shots look a bit grainy and underexposed. However, I just realized there is an EV correction factor slider in the menu. I haven't tried it yet, though.

The problem with the iPhone as a meter isn't its accuracy, it's the awkwardness. Having something on the camera is so much easier.

• Like 1

I use Pocket Light Meter - I've never tested it against my M8's or M6's built in meters but it seems accurate enough for my needs. It's certainly better than Sunny-16 which is what I mostly use on my M2 and IIIf.

And the best thing, like other iPhone apps, it's always with you; it's in your pocket.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I found the pocket light meter overexposes by as much as 3 stops, but always at least 1-2. That's against my Leicameter M, my X1, and my Minolta XG-7, which are identical.

Even though I "bought the developer a pint" because I was so excited about the app, I never use it, and don't recommend it. My preferred meter is the Leicameter M.

*I should mention that I have a iPhone 3GS

• Like 1

Played a bit with them for a while.

Bought a Sekonic 308s last weekend and use it along now.

Let me state this - this very simple and affordable, most compact and light Sekonic meter, hanging from a thin strap goes unnoticed along with you and absolutely murders any other make shift lightmeter from a mobile phone!

I use it as an incident meter, having set a basic, standard exposure, I calculate from and take a reading in strange light from time to time.

The moment, I have already finished metering, calculating and setting my camera, I am still fiddling with the iPhone app.

Forget those apps, if you want a meter for serious use other than the casual safety meter, when no camera or handheld meter is around, but you have your phone with you.

Did I mention, that I really like that Sekonic - only three flaws are (in order of importance):

- no backlit LCD

- no way to disable power off (combined with "long push to power on button")

- easy to loose battery cover (use gaffer tape from day one!)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been playing with Pocket Light Meter, and for my use I think it does a good enough job that I'll probably sell my Sekonic L358.

I wish Pocket Light Meter had an incident light function, but am hopeful that someone will come up with an add-on solution (sounds like a good Kickstarter project...).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have had 'Light Meter' on my iPhone4S for quite a while but it is only there as a back-up for my Sekonic Twinmate L-208. This (see below) is a really quite tiny meter and has the very useful addition of a neat little translucent portion that slides across the sensor, enabling incidence metering. Always in my pocket when I am out and about with my IIIg or Rolleicord.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!