"Do you know this building?" Game Thread

kokoshawnuff

Thank you.

Let's try this one:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The penguins and the lack of snow. 

I had actually heard of the place, it's the last place on earth you can use a UK stamp to send a postcard home. Google did the rest.

How about this one. I took it last October, no processing at all, so far as I can recollect. Zeiss 21mm on M9. I had it as a screensaver for a while until my eyes started to hurt. I accidentally posted it before Pop told me the rules of the game.

oq1b6I.jpg

Edited by sls
  • Like 1

Actually, I was more impressed by the Icelandic spelling. Whilst staying in Budir we went up Snæfellsjökull (the volcano in the background) and me and the boys had a nice game of snowball cricket. The slope of the wicket was an issue. One of them found a bit of wood for a bat, heavens knows where given the circumstances.

This has got to be Frank Gehry's Louis Vuitton Foundation building in Paris. Those curved glued laminated wood members that carry the glass sails are the giveaway for me. Wood is not in his usual palette but he used it to better relate to the forest context of the building. I haven't seen it, does it enhance it's setting or spoil it? Nice photo.

Well done. I did not think I needed to post a picture with any clues as Gehry speaks for himself.  Gehry does seem to feature here quite a bit. 

I went the day it opened. There was a lot else going on in Paris that week, ranging from the re-opening of the Picasso Museum after 5 years and Masters 1000 tennis, plus loads of good new restaurants. There was also a massive Gehry retrospective exhibition at the Pompidou Centre, well worth getting the catalogue mail order if that's your thing, and a few other major exhibitions. 

The building itself is magnificent, surprises everywhere, a massive multi-layered roof garden, it both fits in its setting and enhances the view if you happen to be looking in that direction. The art inside on display was, in my opinion, total junk.

He's another one from the roof looking down into the structure, inside one of the sails, one of a million different angles the building offers.

There should be a slo-mo of the build on youtube, worth looking for. (I was shown on a massive wall inside the building, in a do-anything space.)

It was very foggy, a bit of sun ext time hopefully.

MROO1J.jpg

Edited by sls

I better get this thing going again. Here's one that presents it's own clue.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...