"Do you know this building?" Game Thread

kokoshawnuff

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Michael,

I think that things might have slowed down a little.

I'm glad you were able to figure out the location of the last photo.

Could our Mediterranean Country not on the water be San Marino? Most of the other Mediterranean Countries I can think of have at least part of their borders at the water's edge.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Both good guesses - but not quite. Think middle of Italy - a famous place, but this picture is a rare-ish view. This garden is only open to the public by appointment and with a guide - for security reasons. And there is a quite small chance of bumping into someone well known.

Edited by Michael Hiles

Philipp has got it. We are in the Vatican gardens. You can book a tour, but you cannot just wander in. They are subtly careful about security, for obvious reasons. Each group has about 15-20 people, you have to stay with your group, and they count/make sure that the same number of people entering also exit.

Booking a tour has the added advantage that the ticket gets you into the Vatican Museums - with an amazing collection that includes the Sistine Chapel, and the apartments with the Raphael frescoes (including the School of Atehns). 

The famous person you might bump into is the retired Benedict XVI – he lives in a modest apartment-like building in the garden grounds. Apparently he is sometimes seen (but not by me) doing his rosary on the roof of his apartment.

For what it is worth, the architectural photography possibilities are terrific. I will post 1-2 shots of St Peter's from a unusual perspective.

Edited by Michael Hiles

Thak you, Michael.

Here's the next mystery building, and this time it has no religious significance whatsoever. Hopefully, it's a bit easier than the last one, too, who knows.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Haha, how close you are! I was sorely tempted to do exactly what you suggest, namely to put my home here as the mystery building. As I live in a building whose cultural significance is officially acknowledged by my country, this would even have made sense.

However, the building I chose instead is a short distance away from my home, but quite convently within walking distance. Also, I don't think anyone lives there, but I may be mistaken.

The Vitra Headquarters of Frank Gehry. Sometimes education pays off.

Yes, quite. Well done, it's your turn. Do you happen to be an architect?

This is a snapshot of its other side:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!