"Do you know this building?" Game Thread

kokoshawnuff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Wilson,

correct. This building is currently not used as there is no more tuberculosis left and the site is protected landmark and cannot be upgraded to modern hospital technical standards. Anyway the above mentioned architects and their works keep fascinating through centuries.

So your turn, please!

Rgds, Arto

Edited by AZach
  • Like 1

OK folks, here is your next one.  Taken with M240 and Tri-Elmar at 28mm. 

Clue: It's not in Finland  :)

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Arto, 

Correct. Is their lettering any different to Mandarin? I suppose in styling, there might be some hang overs from the Japanese occupation from 1895 to 1945. On a historical note, the Japanese invaded "Formosa," as Taiwan had been named by the Portuguese, some three hundred years earlier, for coal but mainly for timber. Virtually all the large trees in Japan had been cut down by 1895 and there was a huge demand for timber for building in Japan. If you look at the photo below, which I took of an original photo hanging in a very odd hotel, that I stayed at in the Alishan National Forest. This had been built as a rest house for Japanese Army Officers in 1905 and I think they were still serving army food. You can see the incredible size of the trees in Taiwan at that time. You can only imagine the time and work it took to cut down one of these giants by axe and maybe two handed saw. Sadly there are no trees of this size left in Taiwan and it will be hundreds of years until the replanted tree stock reaches it again. 

Wilson

Hello Wilson,

Did you ever find out what type of tree this is? It would be interesting to know.

If a person were to plant a tree of that type in more or less the same spot: The tree that would grow would most likely be a smaller & weaker variety of what was there before.

When someone comes & cuts First Growth Forests & then takes the wood away & then uses the land for something else: They take away the nutrients that the trees that they cut grew from. When they then use the land for other purposes such as crops they take away more nutrients.

Much of the utilization of forests & such, going back for a very long time, has been destructive because most of the systems of utilization took away a lot of nutrients with little or no concern for equivalent replenishment.

The tree in the photo benefited from at least 10,000 years of build up of organic materials before it was cut. 10,000 years is more or less when the last Ice Age ended. 

Just like a lot of people's illnesses today are a factor of their eating "junk food": You can't grow a healthy tree in incomplete earth.

Right near where I am writing this from, there is a White Oak that is probably about 150 years old. This is an area of the World where White Oaks are a Native Species. This tree is about 11 meters tall. If an equivalent 150 year old White Oak had been growing in this same spot 400 or so years ago, before Europeans came to this part of the World: The tree would most likely have been at least twice that height, if not more & it would most likely also have been healthier.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Michael, 

They were mostly Taxonium Distichum or Red Cypress. There are still one or two left in very inaccessible places, like near the indigenous peoples' village of Ssumakushi, which can only be reached by folk, whose legs work much better than mine. Thankfully this whole area is to be made another national park to protect it from loggers.

The thing that the Taiwanese are trying to work out how to protect from, is mass mainland chinese tourism. The small village of Alishan where I stayed in the central mountainous area, often has 200 to 300 bus loads of tourists arriving any one day. They rush about in packs being shouted by by "uncles" with amplified megaphones. If you get in the way of one of these packs, they will at best push you out of the way or at worst, trample over you. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Arto, 

That is correct. I stayed in the Silks Place Hotel in the Taroko Gorge, one of the nicer hotels during my three week trip by rail, all round Taiwan. You can walk up to the temple from the hotel, although few seem to do do as you can see in my photo of the deserted temple. The only people there were one or two monks. The colours in my photograph are not artificial, it really is that vivid orange. 

Your turn

Wilson

Thanks, maybe will include that target to my "to-do" list....

The next one is an inside view that was painted by the architect of the building (having many other great frescoes by other artists as well).

Name architect, building and period when constructed.

M8, 28/Elmarit, Jan '12

Edited by AZach

Hello,

maybe it is time to provide an additional clue. This villa is often referred as "one of the noblest and most harmonious creations of the Italian Renaissance". Of course a matter of opinion, myself tending to agree. 

It's one of the many things not to be missed in Rome - thanks for reminding us all about it, it's many years since I was there.

Something completely different now - the name please of the building in which the photo was taken, and preferably the distinct part of that building. This shouldn't be too hard......

Christopher

Well, if it isn't in London, someone sure did a good job of simulating London somewhere else on Earth! ;)

Victoria Tower (Parliament) on the skyline left, BT Tower on the skyline right, St. Katharine Docks (or some other dock/body of water) the Thames through the railing at right.

A little triangulation gives: Southwark, and then - top floor ("Viewing Level") of the Switch House addition to the Tate Modern.

Well triangulated :)  - I did say it wasn't too hard, though I suppose I was hoping that someone would get it from the very distinctive pierced brick pattern of the outer skin:

The Switch House is a great playground for photographers, as are Tates Modern and Britain generally. Over to you......

Christopher

(Incidentally, I've been re-reading your brilliant  thread on the Mandler lenses - so informative, if er, expensive....! )

Edited by Musotographer

The third triangulation "key" is the swath of trees along the Thames - only one place they occur, the Inner Temple Gardens. BTW, I've actually had lunch in the revolving restaurant of the BT Tower - 50 (oh, my, Lord!) years ago - so it grabs my attention whenever I see it. Prawn cocktail and lamb chops, IIRC.

Anyway, digging into the bottom of my barrel....