How do you set RAW on D-Lux 5?

NZDavid

You mean you can't figure out the owner's manual? Join the club.

I have yet to customize the two custom settings. Camera always reverts to the original factory settings.

To set RAW.

Press the center button on the 5 button array on the back of the camera.

Make sure the camera icon is red.

Highlight the "Quality" menu item and press the right button. Scroll up or down to set the style RAW you want. The RAW with the dashed lines underneath means RAW with high or low jpeg copies. I use the RAW with no dashed lines. That setting is RAW only.

Press the center button to set the RAW menu item and press the center button again to escape the camera set up menus.

Hope that's helpful.

In case you're not already aware of it Alexander S White's book on the DLux 5 is well worth acquiring because it is written in straightforward English, from a photographer's point of view, and includes gems that the User Manual buries in the deepest, darkect depths or overlooks completely.

Pete.

David,

Like most men, I suspect, I tend to jump straight in and start blasting away and only use the manual when I can't figure out intuitively (or by rapping the thing smartly on the edge of a table and shouting soothingly at it:rolleyes:) why it's not doing what I want it to. For all its excellent functionality I found I was 'soothing' my D-Lux 5 quite a lot but I was 'soothing' the manual even more after that.

Alexander S White's book lays things out from a photographer's perspective and it's easy to quickly find the sequence of buttons that's hiding That Crucial Thing. And more besides.

The book is available here and is also available in pdf format, which I find very useful as it's always available on my phone and saves me carrying the book with me.

For total disclosure I have no connection with Alexander White, his books or his publishing company but for the number of free bumps I've given his books it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to turn over half his company to me. Are you listening, Alexander?:p

Pete

• Like 1

Why RWL? Does the Dlux-5 has the SCN-Mode HDR like the Dlux-4?

Mostly I use HDR-mode with my Dlux-4, this delivers JPG, of course.

The Dlux-4 comes with Capture-1, for the case one uses RWL. I don't like the program, but perhaps this is, because I have the simple version. But if a simple version is not attractive, why should one spend money for a PRO-version.

Jan

My Mac opens RWL (Leica/Panasonic RAW) with the standard picture program Vorschau (Preview) with a double click. Vorschau is the standard in file information.

After converting with Vorschau to TIFF or DNG Photoshop can open them.

I hope, this helps.

Jan

Edited by jan_kappetijn

RWL is not related to modes at all, it's the suffix at the end of the file for RAW images. I believe it's a Panasonic proprietary software. Why not use DNG like the M9 or X1? That would be so much easier. D-Lux didn't come with extra software to open RAW which is damned annoying. LR came with the X1 but doesn't work. Ah well, guess I'll have to stick to JPEGs. All I wanted to do was compare results.

Sorry, don't intend to teach you.

Please select your RWL-file, then command+I.

In the file information table under "open with" select Preview.

In the background works a kind of a database, that binds file types (RWL, JPG, etc.) with programs (apps!).

Jan

Edited by jan_kappetijn

Thanks, but I couldn't get either Preview or Adobe DNG converter working. I downloaded LR3 and managed to convert the pesky RWLs. Interesting -- vignetting with RAW is very noticeable, colors may be more accurate, but JPEGs are still very good.