How many Leica owners also have a Hasselblad ?

too old to care

I've changed my stable, sold the HB 501cm and CFV50 (along with Nikon stuff, Technikardan, Xpan, and assorted lenses) to purchase an S (006) several months ago.  In the past three months have gone back into Hasselblad with a 503CW and SWC as I missed film.

Still shoot the S and really enjoy it but film is still special, don't care how good digital gets (and the CFV 50 is pretty damn good as is the S) but film has a "texture" and depth that even great digital lacks w/o modification to emulate film. IMHO

26514302612_2d26ae3f87_b.jpg

SWC with Fuji Acros

SWC with Fuji RFP100

Nice image. 

Despite winding up a few people ( ;) ) , this thread prompted me to revisit my remaining 503cw which had been virtually unused from new after I abandoned the idea of using it with a digital back.  I had intended to sell it, but not now. I've had a lot of fun with it, especially with Fuji Velvia 50 and Acros 100 and some images I have made with it in the past 2-3 years featured in my Cameracraft magazine portfolio in 2015 .  It's the Nikon D810 that often  now sits idle in favour of the Hasselblad.

• Like 4

Like with a Leica, you seemingly just can't go wrong with a Hasselblad.  :)

I have both SWC and 500CM. The SWC is my fave. 

I have loaned my SWC twice, and in each case the borrower was so impressed he bought one for himself, albeit with a bit of resentment for being tricked into enjoyment. :)

• Like 2

Just a comment about the 38mm Biogon. In the Seventies I used the Super Wide which preceded the SWC and was deeply impressed. Then I began working as a programmer. It was an age when we were doing some things for the first time. When computer assisted lens design would fit into the architecture of our modest systems, Zeiss among others got into it.

Surprise! With all the computer power to replace the manual ray tracing, the Biogon could not be significantly improved. I consider the  non-computer design to be the epitome of human brilliance and insight.

Yes, I am a biogon enthusiast although with larger formats up to 5x5". Here is my last attempt to use it on 4x5". I must admit that it was just fine as a land lens, but it was an aerial lens designed to work at infinity. There is a difference. $$$ out the window. :)

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

I've changed my stable, sold the HB 501cm and CFV50 (along with Nikon stuff, Technikardan, Xpan, and assorted lenses) to purchase an S (006) several months ago.  In the past three months have gone back into Hasselblad with a 503CW and SWC as I missed film.

Still shoot the S and really enjoy it but film is still special, don't care how good digital gets (and the CFV 50 is pretty damn good as is the S) but film has a "texture" and depth that even great digital lacks w/o modification to emulate film. IMHO

26514302612_2d26ae3f87_b.jpg

SWC with Fuji Acros

SWC with Fuji RFP100

This is an extraordinary photograph!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have 203FE with 60/110 lenses and a 2xTC. I generally find myself more relaxed using it than my MP thanks to the WLF experience and a good bag.

It's great fun to use and really fills a lot of holes for me with the MP/35mm limits - close-ups, landscape with filters, telephoto etc.

The only thing I don't enjoy is scanning (with Plustek 120.) I'm setting up a darkroom space as fast as I'm able and would gladly be rid of scanning 120 forever.

I'd like to add the 80FE lens at some point but rarer than hen's teeth from what I can see - if anyone knows where one could be found, it'd be appreciated.

I have a big overseas trip later in the year and am torn over whether to bring the Blad.

The SWC sounds very cool too, albeit 'scary wide' for me personally.

I tried some very close portraits with the 110/2FE and a (CF-style)16mm tube on the weekend. But when I hit the shutter, it didn't fire properly.

I then removed the back and the combination would fire fine but once the back was reattached, the same thing happened. 

In the end I gave up and just stuck with 110 @ 80mm distance (which is a frame filling face anyway.)

I developed the roll last night and the frame hadn't been exposed when the extension tube was in place, so it just didn't fire the shutter properly for whatever reason.

Bit of a mystery and the only glitch I've had to date, will experiment with the tube a bit more as I'd very much like to try it for portraiture.

60CF/Acros 100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by coogee
  • Like 3

Same combo, (both very downsized exports from PS)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

...thanks to the WLF experience...[/url]

There is something very special in this, as there is with a ground glass back. Something I find very immersive. I decided to leave my 501 back in Malaysia for my current trip to Europe, and although I'm very happy traveling with my M6, I know I would have enjoyed using the Hasselblad over here (Dijon / Aigle / Genoa / Marseille).

Paul, provided I've got the right lens, I think the data sheet says what you assume to be the case. It's a click stop that serves as a reminder.

I've looked around a bit for an answer to this, but not found one, does anyone know it:-

I have a Hasselblad 40mm Distagon C T* lens and I was wondering about the focus limiter on the focus ring.

I assume it's a reminder to stop the lens down when close focusing and that's the limit stop. I can't find reference to this anywhere even Hasselbald and MF forums so was wondering if any of our members could help out!

Apologies if I have answered the question but I would still like the definitive reply to this as in if it is indeed a reminder to stop down and what aperture do Hasselblad recommend that is used for various close distances etc.

Please note this is the original design T* lens and not the later CF version.

Many thanks Paul Mac

Eoin, I had a look in the Munroe lens guide and found this, fwiw:

Q: Should I buy a SWC model or a 40mm lens?

A: This question has come up mostly in comparing the new 40mm CF FLE against
the 903SWC or those SWC/M's with a CF lens. This is a tough decision and
the tradeoffs are largely subjective. I believe the SWC models still hold
an optical advantage over the 40mm lens, though with the FLE slightly less
so. The strong points in favor of the 40mm lenses are that they are
better suited to fast work (i.e. faster than landscape or architectural
work), you have reflex viewing, and they cost a bit less than the SWC.
However, the SWC's can use a groundglass and a magnifying viewfinder in
place of the film back if through-the-lens viewing is needed. My advice
is to rent each one for a suitable period of time to determine which best
suits your needs.

One thing that might make the lens more useful than an SWC is that the lens can be used with the PC Mutar for perspective control (see the Munroe guide). But architecture, interiors etc might not be what you intend to use the focal length for so that functionality may be of little use to you?

Personally I am leaning towards a 50mm CF as a light walk-about wide-angle which can be had for 300-400 Eur (the FLE is about twice that). 

I can't help you with your question, Paul, but how do you like the 40mm Distagon? I've been tossing up whether to get one (CF), or to sneak a SWC into the house.

Cheers.

• Like 3