How many Leica owners also have a Hasselblad ?

too old to care

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's a Hasselblad 203FE with 50mm CFi lens on Acros 100 film shot and a Leica M9 with 50mm Summilux Asph.  Exposed on the same evening and from the same location.  The Hasselblad was on a tripod, the M9 was handheld.  

They were not taken to directly compare the images, but to determine whether I could obtain images that would please me and discover whether I was working in the right direction.  The Hasselblad took about 2 hours setting up, shifting the tripod to include the wall and roof as I wanted it, adding filters, taking light readings and mostly waiting for the light.  

Having exposed the film, I decided to shoot the M9 which was not my previous intention.  That took about a minute to determine the exposure and fire off the 5 vertical frames that form the final shot.  The light stayed good, or improved, so the M9 was out and back in the backpack in next to no time.

Gary

Here's the Hasselblad film capture:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Here's the Leica M9 image.  Apologies, it was taken on a 35mm Summilux Asph for 1/500s, ISO 160 at a reported f5.6.  RAW file conversion.

Now this is a 5 frame vertical stitch, exposed hand held.  Have to say I was shocked how quickly the image was captured after standing for such a long time prior and getting quite cold.

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Although I am an M240 user and have had many M's starting with the M3, Hasselblads are my first love.  I currently have a 503CW and a SWC.  Shooting transparency film (Velvia or Provia) and scanning the developed film with a Nikon 9000ED and moving the scans to Lightroom (very little PP usually needed) the images and large prints are fabulous in range of contrast, colors and fine detail.

By the way, though bulky it's a very fine street camera using the waist level finder.  People seem to respond differently to a camera not covering one's face.  Check out the beautiful work by Vivian Meier using a Rolleiflex, Diane Arbus and others using cameras at waist level.

Different  strokes .............

• Like 3

I have and use several - 500c/m, 503cx, and 500el's.  I love 'em.  Also love and use the Mamiya 330f.

I think the real bargain these days are the el's.  They are just about paying you to take them.  All they need is a 9v adaptor for about $10, or build it yourself for much less and they work like a charm.  Granted, el's make the camera a bit heavier, and for street work I would pick one of the non-motorized ones.  But for macro or studio, they are wonderful.

• Like 2

I received a notice from B&H today that the CFV-50c has been reduced in price. That's put it into the "interesting" category. 

A digital back for my existing 500CM and SWC system ... Hmm. I have to think about this. 

It's still expensive, but approachable. 

• Like 1

I received a notice from B&H today that the CFV-50c has been reduced in price. That's put it into the "interesting" category. 

A digital back for my existing 500CM and SWC system ... Hmm. I have to think about this. 

It's still expensive, but approachable.

When I look, it's still showing as $9,995, which it has been for a few months. Has there been a further decrease?

• 1 month later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Yes, it was previously around $15k, but dropped to the new price a few months ago, which is (at least to me) significantly more attractive.

I thought about one but Matt Granger slagged it off so I changed my mind

I thought about one but Matt Granger slagged it off so I changed my mind

I don't think he slagged it off, Neil (and that was when it was $15k+) - He basically said that it wasn't really for him. His points of why it wasn't for him may or may not be important to others (eg the underslung battery doesn't allow it to sit flat on a table).

Given that Matt Granger primarily shoots FF digital, an alternative video review by a predominant film shooter is that by Matt Day - Battle of the Matt's...

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I don't think he slagged it off, Neil (and that was when it was $15k+) - He basically said that it wasn't really for him. His points of why it wasn't for him may or may not be important to others (eg the underslung battery doesn't allow it to sit flat on a table).

Given that Matt Granger primarily shoots FF digital, an alternative video review by a predominant film shooter is that by Matt Day - Battle of the Matt's...

Why ohh why did you have to send me that youtube :) :) :) 

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hide your eyes, Neil. If you can't see it, it can't see you.

Too frigging late mate.............its already imbedded in the nogging Im now watching Charlie Waite videos so I guess I will be selling a kidney on Thursday :) :) :) 

• 1 year later...