M9 Battery Low Issue

Chatsphotog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your experience is one we all hear too frequently.

And, whilst I do not want to create an uproar with what i am next going to write, however, I don't know anyone who has purchased a Leica M9, who had not sent their camera (back) for repair - at least once.

I know there are those who returned their M9 several times.

I've never had a problem with either my M8 or M9 and am sure there are others who likewise haven't had problems.

Regards, Tom

• Like 2

When better inspection reveals more problems, it will make more customers happy, but the camera has to be repaired anyhow.

The savings are only in avoiding the extra handling afterwards, not in the repair.

In the sort of semi-artisanal manufacturing that I’m talking about, the goal was for inspection to identify problems at the subassembly stage, so that the faulty subassembly could be immediately returned to the operator for correction or rework.

If you leave it to the customer to find the fault in the completed product, the manufacturer faces the cost of troubleshooting the returned item, having it stripped down and repaired, then reassembled. And since the repair technician is only human, there is a possibility that the stripdown and reassembly process could have created another fault.

My engineering career ended half a lifetime ago, but in the days when I practiced that art, any persistent problems detected by inspection were analysed to establish the reason for the failures, and the appropriate action was taken – the design was amended or modified, the component was replaced by a better one, or the operator was given further training or reassigned to a less demanding job. The goal was to have the minimum number of units failing and requiring rework. Any significant rise in the rework rate was investigated.

Doug, you should visit Solms. What you describe is very close the the way Leica operates.

Look at the background to my avatar pic and what I'm holding my my hands! <grin>.

It would be nice to think that the plant still uses traditional inspection methods, but if so I wonder how thoroughly these are implemented. The recent video showing M9 manufacture that many of us have seen on the internet shows many scenes of assembly and adjustment, but no signs of an inspection process.

I’ve been to Solms twice. After the my second visit, I recall several members of the group of British Leica enthusiasts I’d travelled with remarking that in their opinion the limited factory tour given to visitors contained an element of ‘BS’. If the company was really taking such care during manufacture, they asked, why were so many faulty or unreliable items reaching the customer? (One man’s R8/9 failed during our brief stay in Wetzlar.)

Was there always a significant fault rate in new Leica hardware, I wonder? In the 1950s, the London dealer Wallace Heaton had a scheme under which you could buy an off-the-shelf camera or lens, or opt to pay extra for one that had been tested by the shop. In their publicity material for the latter scheme, the shop noted that it was finding a significant number of faults in newly-delivered hardware and said that no brand was immune from this. It would be interesting to know what the failure rate of Leica and Contax hardware was in those days compared with other contemporary German hardware and with the first recently-arrived Japanese products.

Best regards,

Doug

It would be interesting to know what the failure rate of Leica and Contax hardware was in those days compared with other contemporary German hardware and with the first recently-arrived Japanese products.

Best regards,

Doug

I don't know how you'd get this information but Linhof used to sell various German lenses with their cameras in shutters labled "Linhof." And they would test each lens and include the film negative with it. Because they seemed to think it was important to test each lens, I always wondered if they rejected very many Schneider, Zeiss, Rodenstock or Voigtlander lenses that they received.

Edited by AlanG

Alan, It's my understanding that Linhof tested directly at Schneider (for example), at the end of the production "line."

It would certainly be interesting to know more specifics, but it was certainly good advertising if nothing else. :)

And having a negative to show what the lens could do would certainly keep photographers aware of how important their technique was. :p

Just shipped my camera to Leica USA for the repair, after communicating with Carmen Vargas via e-mail at the suggestion of Alex at popflash. Hopefully will receive it back shortly after the board is replaced. Problem surfaced while on holiday for a few days, using OEM batteries. Will post results of the repair request.

Just giving my two M9s a final check over in preparation for a wedding assignment later today and found one to be showing just 60% battery charge remaining. Surprised as it was fully charged yesterday afternoon and has only been used to clear cards and change clock time.

No problem methinks as I have five genuine Leica batteries. Oops, they all show 60% charge level ! So this is a camera issue. Wonder if it will re-set when the battery gets below 60%, or whether the full battery power will not be available.

With two weddings next week and one the week after, I can't allow the camera to return to Solms this month. My ever reliable Canon dslrs have been sold to fund the second M9 (-P), so I hope I'm not in a vulnerable position.

Anyone faced this and have a quick fix ? :)

Yup. Make use of Leica's professional service and have your repair returned within two days or get a loaner-you are registered with Leica as a professional I expect?

So no known quick fix.

Yes, I am a Registered Professional with Solms. However, the two day turnaround is Service Dept time and does not include booking-in time, assessment time, time spent in the Despatch Dept which I've experienced four days, plus any weekend where nothing happens. So I don't see that the door to door will be less than ten days, unfortunately.

This will be the sixth return in less than two years, so I'm pretty confident it will not be back within a week.

As for a loaner - both my cameras now work well with my five lenses, so any loaner needs to be thoroughly checked before acceptance. I've never had the offer of a loaner before, but maybe Leica will read this and respond.

No misunderstanding, I'm very calm about this, but if the camera fails during a wedding shoot, that will change. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Rolo

Why don't you call Andrea Frankl. When I had a dead sensor a week before I left for Africa they had a loaner in my hands within a few days. Your need appears to be more urgent.

Edited by jaapv

ODIN: Camera is back. Leica replaced a circuit board. 4 hours and no visible occurrence of "battery low". Suggest you send it in for repair and reference the post on Leica's news web site regarding the issue: Leica Camera AG - Leica M9 / Battery Low Issue

Thanks a lot, I sent it last week, now waiting for the camera to get back... How long it took them to return your camera?

I shipped my camera to Leica US 25 Aug, USPS delivered on 29 Aug. I just received word today that the warranty repairs necessary to fix the "low battery" display problem will be completed 13 Sep and no commitment could be made to an earlier date. I was told this is the best the repair staff could do. No loaner was offered (I am not a registered professional).

So, it looks like 2 weeks of shop time, add a week for transit to/from, and it's a 3 week service trip. My experience with Canon USA relative to my dSLRs is roughly 5-10 days. I'm disappointed not to have the camera, but given Leica's small market presence I don't think a 3 week turnaround is unreasonable.

Edited by mctuomey

I shipped my camera to Leica US 25 Aug, USPS delivered on 29 Aug. I just received word today that the warranty repairs necessary to fix the "low battery" display problem will be completed 13 Sep and no commitment could be made to an earlier date. I was told this is the best the repair staff could do. No loaner was offered (I am not a registered professional).

So, it looks like 2 weeks of shop time, add a week for transit to/from, and it's a 3 week service trip. My experience with Canon USA relative to my dSLRs is roughly 5-10 days. I'm disappointed not to have the camera, but given Leica's small market presence I don't think a 3 week turnaround is unreasonable.

Actually, I think it is quite acceptable, hope they will solve the issue to me as well :)

My M9 has developed the problem and is going to the Australian authorised repairer today. They have ordered the relevant part but expect that it may take up to 8 weeks to arrive here from Germany. Fantastic!

I loved the part in the official response from Leica where they assert that as at 18 August there were 15 instances of this problem. I have emailed two other new M9 owners in the last 2 days and they both have or have had the issue. I wonder if Leica will update the number on their webpage post?

• 2 weeks later...
Just shipped my camera to Leica USA for the repair, after communicating with Carmen Vargas via e-mail at the suggestion of Alex at popflash. Hopefully will receive it back shortly after the board is replaced. Problem surfaced while on holiday for a few days, using OEM batteries. Will post results of the repair request.

My M9 is on its way back, having had the repairs as noted in the attachment. Promised date to complete was Sept 13 which was met by Leica-US.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...
My M9 has developed the problem and is going to the Australian authorised repairer today. They have ordered the relevant part but expect that it may take up to 8 weeks to arrive here from Germany. Fantastic!

I loved the part in the official response from Leica where they assert that as at 18 August there were 15 instances of this problem. I have emailed two other new M9 owners in the last 2 days and they both have or have had the issue. I wonder if Leica will update the number on their webpage post?

My M9 has been with the authorised Australian repairer for two months now. They are still waiting for the part ordered in early September to arrive from Germany.

Purchased M9 in late June 2011, sent to repairer early September 2011, still waiting for the part 9 November 2011. I think at this stage I am an ex digital Leica user.

I'll keep my film Leicas but the company really should do better.

My M9 has been with the authorised Australian repairer for two months now. They are still waiting for the part ordered in early September to arrive from Germany.

Purchased M9 in late June 2011, sent to repairer early September 2011, still waiting for the part 9 November 2011. I think at this stage I am an ex digital Leica user.

I'll keep my film Leicas but the company really should do better.

Just to keep the facts in sight, you must remember that factors other than Leica interfere in the delays here in Australia.

First there is Australian Customs, then German Cusoms and of course the delay in transit through Adeal who are the Australian importer and through whose hands it must all pass. I understand that they make up a 'composite' shipment to return to Germany, not individual items. The official Australian Repairer (Camera Clinic) also needs to transfer materials to and fro Adeal. So before Solms gets a go at it, considerable delays are involved. Overall, not a good look on the Australian scene, but not all Leicas fault.

The alternative is to ship independently direct to Solms, which is definitely faster. A lot of 'routine' work, such as 6 bit coding, can very well be done by Camera Clinic, but Leica will not supply the necessary parts. That is not good. My 35mm Summicron took 10+ weeks to go to Solms for coding and cleaning. Camera Clinic could have done it 'while I waited'.