The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Lens hoods for an old Summicron

leica m9 lens hood summicron 50mm

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Kevster

The Kevster

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • City / Ort:London

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:05

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
Afternoon all

Bit of a stupid question this: I have an old (1986 I think) Summicron 50 - one of the Canadian ones - on my M9.

As it's stark bollock naked apart from its lens cap I wanted to get a lens hood for it - both for reasons of protection and preventing glare and flare - anyone got any suggestions as to what's a good one to get (without breaking the bank too much!). And what's the best type? Collapsible? Petal? Conical? Etc?

Thanks in advance

K

My Flickr page: Flickr: The_Kevster's Photostream Please be gentle, I'm very new to RF photography!

#2 MachineGun

MachineGun

Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:34

Hi
Does it have to be a Leica one?
I just bought a new one on E Bay for the same lens from a dealer in China for under $10.00 Canadian with free shipping. ( has not arrived yet)

Take a look
MachineGun
  • The Kevster said thank you to this

#3 Ecar

Ecar

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 16:46

Try heavystar direct or on the bay. Black metal, low cost.
I like the vented ones best.

Edited by Ecar, 30 July 2011 - 16:52.

#4 Xmas

Xmas

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 19:19

Hi

'86 is the current optical formula, but they can flare or iris image, with the Sun just out of frame.

Noel

#5 doubice

doubice

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 2,098 posts
  • City / Ort:Vancouver

Posted 30 July 2011 - 19:33

Not sure what would break your bank ;) but, probably the best would be the original Leica 12585 clip-on shade. And I second the recommendation about 'heavystar' - his products are excellent.

The advantage of the 12585 shade is that it clips on and can be reversed over the lens for storage.

Best,

Jan

#6 russell

russell

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:38

I have a chrome v4 Summicron. If you use the older metal hood (12585?) it's attaches loose. Iv'e tried this with at least 4 of the older hoods. I've only tried one of the period-correct hoods (12538?) and it was less loose.
I'm thinking to hold out for a 12538 that actually fits correctly. This will mean waiting until I see one in person. Don't want to risk mail order and then have to return.

#7 The Kevster

The Kevster

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 17:48

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've gone for the Heavystar solution as the Leica 12585 seems quite expensive secondhand!

K

My Flickr page: Flickr: The_Kevster's Photostream Please be gentle, I'm very new to RF photography!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leica m9, lens hood, summicron 50mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic