Stability of Leica 100/2.8 macro with 2X APO, also STA-1?

Mantice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello:

Just wondering have anyone had experience of using 100mm AME with APO 2X in the wilderness? I tried it and the whole combination seems to be long and unbalanced.

I am mostly worry about the bayonet sturdiness - especially hiking, climbing (tiny bit of running) and wondering around for whole day. The combination for now will be 100AME - APO 2X - Novoflex adapter - 7D.

BTW, the same combo on the tripod, will STA-1 provide some additional benefits? I knew that for bare lens STA-1 is not necessary.

Thanks

On the tripod that collar will be very helpful as it moves the attachment point closer to the actual center of gravity of that kit. I still don't think I'd walk/run with that much gear swinging from the bayonet mount of the Cannon.

• Like 1

Thanks dritz, LeicaPassion and Douglas for reply!

May I ask more information about Canon A2 tripod collar? Does it fit Leica 100AME? If so that will be very easy to get and try it out~

I think the Burzynski collar "may" interfere with Canon 7D's protruding front end (build-in flash) according to photos in our forum, so I'm a little hesitate to get it internationally.

BTW dritz do you mean Canon's mount (with adapter) will be the weak link?

200/5.6 is fun for macro so I would want to use the combo sometimes in field trips. I'm more worry of damaging AME or 2X APO and less worry of damage from adapter or Canon.

But still I'll try to avoid any damage to any linkages as much as possible.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I haven't got a 7D + Novoflex, but I've just tried mounting the 100/2.8 AME + 2X Apo + R8. I've also got the STA1 on the lens. With this combination, the camera + Extender together are heavy enough to put the STA1 forward of the centre of gravity (which is somewhere around the Extender). So the camera tripod mount is behind the CG whereas the STA1 is in front of the CG. I don't know how the weight of the 7D compares with the R8, but the R8 is a heavy camera.

I wouldn't fancy swinging the combination around on a strap all day. The Leica mounts are strong, but not indestructible. (For example, with a big, heavy lens like the 280/4 APO, Leica specifically caution against using the camera neckstrap, and to use the lens strap.) However, the 100/2.8 plus Extender is not in this league, and the camera strap would be OK for "normal" hanging the camera around your neck, but climbing around and running is something else! With your combination, I suspect that the weak link would be the Canon mount and Novoflex adapter.

• Like 1

STA 1 was no good even without a 2x.

There is a third party one out there that works and the name starts with B.

Here is good spread of the collar.

Tripod collar for Leica 100 Apo - FM Forums

Seller is ISARFOTO in Germany

Here is one from me, lens in the left is fitted with Burzinsky APO Trinity | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I alternate collar between APO Macro 100mm and APO Elmarit 180mm.

I use bare lenses on R and Nikon, no problem with Burzinsky on Nikon. Can't see how would lens fitted with collar and extender hit any part of any camera, bare lens maybe but not with extender.

Edited by mmradman
Add second link.
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for replying!

7D is design to hold lens like 400/5.6 (1kg, 25cm long) so if the combo works at R8 then it should be safe on 7D less rough activities - thanks masjah for the feedback!

Also since 7D is similar weight to R8 - can you tell me more about the shift in CG with STA1? Is it that severe or is it just minor? Assume I got one of the better made ones (like Burzinsky) I will even have great support but sacrifice has to be made when I'm using AME bare as 7D have longer front protrudes.

BTW yes mmradman - in that instance I forgot there's 2X helping me to avoid hitting 7D's mirror box section - my mistake.

Edited by Mantice
Change of mind - still prefer to have good support!

Mantice, with the R8 and 100 AME alone, the CG is fairly close to the position of the STA1 on the lens (as one would like) that is, forward of the camera tripod screw. As I said before, with the 2X extender as well, the CG is in between the STA1 tripod screw and the camera tripod screw, around the position of the extender. This is what you would expect. (Hope I've understood your supplementary question correctly!)

Hello:

Just wondering have anyone had experience of using 100mm AME with APO 2X in the wilderness? I tried it and the whole combination seems to be long and unbalanced.

I am mostly worry about the bayonet sturdiness - especially hiking, climbing (tiny bit of running) and wondering around for whole day. The combination for now will be 100AME - APO 2X - Novoflex adapter - 7D.

BTW, the same combo on the tripod, will STA-1 provide some additional benefits? I knew that for bare lens STA-1 is not necessary.

Thanks

The sturdiness of the mount should be the least of your concerns with a small and light lens like this. I normally have the Vario-Elmar 105280 on an 1.4x converter and that is no problem with the R8 or indeed any R body, despite the extra eyelets provided by Leica as an insurance which I do not use too often. Just think of the really big boys like the long and fast components of the ApoTelyt system, like the 400-2.8 that I am contemplating right now.

Edited by jaapv

Not at all - English is not my language so you're pretty spot on - its my fault actually.

So I guess CG of the combo is around the center of 2X - doesn't sound too bad - if I apply ELPRO than I may restore some of the CG towards the tripod collar and without 2X it is at the CG!

Now its the trade off between robustness (Burzinsky) vs. adaptability (STA1 - can be used bare on 7D)

Jaapv I believe you're correct on the robustness of Leica mounts, but my 280/4 can easily tear Novoflex adapter in half, that's why I am extra cautious even for a light lens like 100 AME + 2X. This will be my heaviest lens until 400/4 or 560/5.6 drops 2k below Canon 500/4 first version - very very likely.

• Like 1