Is the M9 a serious Landscape Camera?

salim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M9 is of course a serious camera for landscape photography: sharp, contrasty lenses, high resolution sensor without the AA filter, superb portability. In my experience, one has to be aware of the risk of moire though - I've had this many times in my landscape images (reeds, tree branches, bales of hay...), especially with the Cron 50 (which seems to resolve so much detail that it is perhaps too much for the M9 sensor - interestingly, I have almost no moire problem with the Lux 50 Asph, in the same situations). Another possible limitation is the M9 finder which does not always show entirely accurately what will end up in the image (especially true with the accessory finders for the wider lenses); it is worth checking the LCD display after each shot and re-shoot if necessary.

the M9 is no good at all for landscape- look how it rendered this alpine scene:

:rolleyes:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

M9P/50/2

• Like 16

• 3 years later...

I like the M9 (and the M8 before) for landscape. From 18 mm to 90 mm the M is perfect for it. I used also a D800 (with the very good 35 and 50mm Sigmas Art) but the rendering of the M9 is in my eyes much better.

I have 3 pictures in the living room side by side (two M9 one D800) and everybody watching them prefers the M9. OK at A2-enlargements there are some (but very minors) differences in resolution (18 to 35 MP) but the Leica pictures have more natural feeling (I d'not know how to describe it better).

• 2 weeks later...

To paraphrase the book by the unlamented Lance Armstrong, it's not about the camera. I don't see that any quality camera can't be used for landscapes, providing you get a view in the finder that covers the field you are shooting.

For superwide, you must resort to an accessory finder unless you are lucky enough to own a Leica M(240) with accessory finder. For any quality SLR, DSLR, or mirrorless, all will do. I shoot very nice landscapes with my M9P from

15mm with accesory finder up to 35mm. 50mm and up is too narrow a FOV for my tastes, but atufte's image above just may change my mind about that..

Edited by jevidon

Urban/historic landcape

Edited by run23
  • Like 1

Of course it is a serious landscape camera! It is as good or better than its analog ancestors. All considered, of course within the scope of an excellent full-frame digital camera it suffices.

I must ask the OP how the digital M cameras fail for landscapes. Or was he just trolling?

• 4 weeks later...

Oskar Barnack was a landscape photographer who tired of lugging his view camera to the Black Forest, so he invented a miniature camera using 35mm cine film...  does anyone remember that story?

It's difficult to find many image online actually attributed to Barnack, but this one is and is c. 1930....  so it's presumably made with one of those "Barnack" miniature cameras.   I'd have to presume that if Barnack was as happy with his miniature camera prints as he was his view camera landscapes, then his camera must have been adequate for landscapes... and it follows then that surely a hundred years after its invention, and four years after the start of this thread that the M9 must yet be competent as a successor to that original Barnack miniature camera.

OSKAR_BARNACK__1879_1936__Cologne__Bad_E

I would never consider a small RF for landscape work when I could carry  a D series Nikon , I have a 3,  which is heavy enough to stop camera shake.  They have 100% viewfinder image so no surprises at what is left in or out.

A few 5 pound zooms and I am ready for anything.   

When I come home,  my chiropractor is always ready to fix my back.

Some of the things that come to my mind when talking about good landscape photography: depth of field, use of foreground, position of horizon, lines, sky and weather elements, position of the sun, use of water elements, suggested movements etc.

I believe all of this can be applied successfully with any rangefinder or for that matter any decent DSLR or FF camera, with a tripod, to take a great landscape shot.

Also I am never one to compare cameras as in most cases you use what you have. Of course, the benefit of a digital camera, you can always see the picture and retake if needed.

Edited by rramesh

Old topic but my more recent experience is this. The worst critics of landscape photographs are photographers or would be photographers, as they analyse the technical attributes of each photograph whilst all too often failing to appreciate the image itself. The best are those who enjoy looking at beautiful landscapes and to whom the images and the enjoyment of viewing them are more important than technical attributes (within reason of course). I am now giving many talks and lectures and am intrigued by the difference in appreciation between audiences. Camera clubs are often difficult to gauge and satisfy and enthuse. Non-photographic audiences are much easier to show landscapes to especially if they are well taken - and the camera used is of course largely irrelevant although a question often asked is about what equipment I use. Mention Leica and there can be a 'knowing nod' here and there, need I say more?

And FWIW Poucher's books of landscape photographs, whilst dated, are still popular enough, and he used Barnacks!

Edited by pgk
  • Like 3

Mention Leica and there can be a 'knowing nod' here and there, need I say more?

I'm not sure a "knowing nod" should be seen as some kind of stamp of approval.

IMO landscape photography (at least of the serious kind) is more an intellectual exercise than an aesthetic one and camera equipment, in this context, is utterly uninteresting.

• Like 2

I'm not sure a "knowing nod" should be seen as some kind of stamp of approval.

The history and reputation remain - my point being that despite Leica having built only 35mm film cameras, they were (and are) regarded as a yardstick, even for landscape photographs.

• 1 month later...