Camera Store complaint and praise

lcrl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

My name is Robert Lindsay, and I don't have a Leica yet, but I hope to get a M9 this fall for my 50th Birthday. I've been orbiting around the Leica universe for years, as a kid I annoyed the staff at Heller's camera in Bethesda MD. When I graduated college I nearly bought a M5 or a CL but the store in OKC didn't seem too interested in selling me one, and I needed the money to support my future ex-wife.

Anyway I've noticed that a lot of my photos are taken with wide angles (or the wide part

of the 18-200 zoom on my D90) so I started thinking about a Leica again. Eventually I discovered that there was a store in the DC area that actually had one in stock.

(Ace Photo in Ashburn VA, Heller's camera being long gone by then). I went out there

and they graciously allowed me to put my own memory card in their M9. I took a few pictures with my son (age 3, who was having a fine time pushing the buttons on the

point and shoots on display) and went home and was stunned with the images at just the jpegs I got!

Since then I've been out there roughly once a month, and they've always been kind and friendly, even charging the batteries when their M9 battery is out (while my son, plays bongos with monopods...)

As a contrast I was recently on a trip to Chicago, and went by the Central Camera store there to see if I could show my wife my current obsession. Unfortunately the person there basically said they only had 1 M9 and it was staying in the box unless I wanted to buy it. They weren't rude, but it was clear that they wouldn't mind if I just moved along.

The point being I guess, had I not held a M9 and actually took some pictures with it,

I never would have been able to justify it, and I'd probably dropped all the money on some overpowered mac pro instead.

• Like 1

So in 50 years you haven't bought a Leica yet.

One store lets you play with one, the other doesn't.

And if you go by your track record, you might buy one when you turn 90, and then you'll order the cheapest one you can find online after visiting the M9 in the store for 400 consecutive months.

some Leica buyers want an "untouched" product.

I think when it comes to buying a new Leica item, I'd say *most* people want the excitement of opening a totally untouched item. Of course having a few people carefully handle an M9 won't do it any harm, but if you're paying £5000 for a camera, I think you can reasonably expect it not to be even extremely lightly used.

Edited by Lord Fluff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ace Camera is a fine shop. They are where I picked up my M9, my Nikon D3, and a bunch of glass over the years. Unlike many camera stores - which give at best a nodding glance to "carrying" Leica (meaning they carry little actual inventory), Mo the owner is serious about the brand. You (and I) are fortunate to have such a good shop close by.

That said, I wouldn't at all ding a camera shop because they refused to allow me to handle a camera. A lot of folks, myself included, prefer when buying very expensive gear to receive it in a virgin state. I usually wince when forced to take a display model. Parents who allow their three-year-olds to "have a fine time playing with the buttons" is one of the reasons why.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you end up pulling the trigger on that M9, end up falling in love with it, and sharing it with all of us here.

In the meantime, give Central Camera a break. They're doing exactly what most of us would wish them to.

• Like 2

some stores have "demo" models available - even of leica m9s - and sell them later marked "demo" at a discounted price, usually with a warranty. presumably they more than make their money back by convincing otherwise hesitant customers to buy a camera and by then selling the "demo" itself at a discount, but not a loss, or they wouldn't do it.

• Like 1

Not sure if your post is serious, or intended to wind us up as one other commented.

Probably the latter, but in the unlikely case you're serious, I'd say Central had you pegged perfectly: the type that abuses customer privilege; always taking up staff time and not a hint of shop loyalty in return.

I bought my first M at Heller camera several decades ago. After the owner generously spent lots of quality time with me, I wouldn't have shopped anywhere else. Much of his wisdom applies just as well today. And I've been to Ace with very mixed results; haven't earned my loyalty.

Jeff

• Like 1

A good dealer will indulge his customers. Eventually, those that spend £600 on a 50 year old M2 will buy an MP or an M9

And plenty of lenses along the way.

Support your local dealer. You know it makes sense.

• Like 1

Years ago, I heard a loud bang when a customer let a brand new Leica hit the glass counter. He walked away a few minutes later. No apology. I really felt sorry for the dealer, and whoever would end up with the body and lens. Ever since, I will not buy an item unless it is untouched.

As a contrast I was recently on a trip to Chicago, and went by the Central Camera store there to see if I could show my wife my current obsession. Unfortunately the person there basically said they only had 1 M9 and it was staying in the box unless I wanted to buy it. They weren't rude, but it was clear that they wouldn't mind if I just moved along instead.

I had the same experience in two different shops, one in Halifax, England and in Dublin, Ireland. The former being a Panasonic G1 and the latter a Canon G7(we're talking £100s here not £1000s). Fair enough I thought, soon as I said I was buying, I got to handle and was given a thorough demonstration.

I got a new camera, not one that was shop-soiled (only by me anyway)

Hi all,

My name is Robert Lindsay, and I don't have a Leica yet, but I hope to get a M9 this fall for my 50th Birthday. I've been orbiting around the Leica universe for years, as a kid I annoyed the staff at Heller's camera in Bethesda MD. When I graduated college I nearly bought a M5 or a CL but the store in OKC didn't seem too interested in selling me one, and I needed the money to support my future ex-wife.

Anyway I've noticed that a lot of my photos are taken with wide angles (or the wide part

of the 18-200 zoom on my D90) so I started thinking about a Leica again. Eventually I discovered that there was a store in the DC area that actually had one in stock.

(Ace Photo in Ashburn VA, Heller's camera being long gone by then). I went out there

and they graciously allowed me to put my own memory card in their M9. I took a few pictures with my son (age 3, who was having a fine time pushing the buttons on the

point and shoots on display) and went home and was stunned with the images at just the jpegs I got!

Since then I've been out there roughly once a month, and they've always been kind and friendly, even charging the batteries when their M9 battery is out (while my son, plays bongos with monopods...)

As a contrast I was recently on a trip to Chicago, and went by the Central Camera store there to see if I could show my wife my current obsession. Unfortunately the person there basically said they only had 1 M9 and it was staying in the box unless I wanted to buy it. They weren't rude, but it was clear that they wouldn't mind if I just moved along.

The point being I guess, had I not held a M9 and actually took some pictures with it,

I never would have been able to justify it, and I'd probably dropped all the money on some overpowered mac pro instead.

I am glad to hear you say this! I am one of the employees at Ace Photo that was discussing both the camera and lenses with you. All employees place customer service as a priority and enjoy when we hear positive customer feedback.

We do have a display M9, and this gentleman is very friendly and kind. He was not demanding or upset, most recently, when the battery currently in the camera was dead. He patiently waited and allowed us to charge it for him.

• Like 2

Ace Camera is a fine shop. They are where I picked up my M9, my Nikon D3, and a bunch of glass over the years. Unlike many camera stores - which give at best a nodding glance to "carrying" Leica (meaning they carry little actual inventory), Mo the owner is serious about the brand. You (and I) are fortunate to have such a good shop close by.

Glad to see another customer on the forum :) Mo does indeed love the Leica brand.

- Thomas

I am glad to hear you say this! I am one of the employees at Ace Photo that was discussing both the camera and lenses with you. All employees place customer service as a priority and enjoy when we hear positive customer feedback.

We do have a display M9, and this gentleman is very friendly and kind. He was not demanding or upset, most recently, when the battery currently in the camera was dead. He patiently waited and allowed us to charge it for him.

Well that certainly put things into perspective regarding adverse comments about the OP!

Two actually...post #11. I have a good friend, and Leica user, who shares my opinion.

Jeff

Did not see your original post Jeff. Please send me a PM with any suggestions that may help us earn your, and your friends, loyalty :) I can pass the message on to my coworkers as I only work on weekends.

- Thomas