Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 driver for MAC needed

lincoln_m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Suddenly my drivers on MAC OS X snow leopard 10.6.7 have stopped working with Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400. The scanner hardware works fine on my MacBookPro as it has a newer driver installed (2005) than the original's(2003) on the boxed CD. I think I reinstalled the original drivers in an attempt to get things working so accidentally removing the working updated system files or something. I get the "Unknown error" and removing the MFSLibInit 0KB file from ~/Library/Preferences/DiMAGE Scan does not help it just crashes the Scanner setup window. The trouble is that all the Scanner downloads on the web point to Konica Minolta who no longer support Scanners or Cameras.

Did anyone save the MAC install package for installing the later version Scan Elite 5400 (not elite II 5400)? If so how big is it? Could it be sent via e-mail (<10M) or on a CD if bigger? I'm sure we can arrange some compensation for your efforts. Just copying over the files from the MBP to the iMAC doesn't solve the problem as there are other files installed during the install process so a proper install package is needed.

I guess the other option is to get the Pro version of Vue Scan, or put up with running the scanner from the MBP laptop then transferring the files to the iMAC.

I'll also have the same trouble if/when I upgrade the iMAC hardware to the new quad core in that I'll need new drivers and the Minolta ones on the CD don't work.

Regards, Lincoln

Olaf,

I owe you one. Thanks so much, seriously appreciated. I don't have to change over to digital camera just yet.

I was searching for "Minolta Dimage Scan elite 5400" which only turned up old links to Minolta site that were broken. I even went on Konica Minolta site Europe and searched for Scan Elite which gave no hits. Now when I try Konica Minolta I can find this site.

Downloaded and installed. It is working but now it seems that my USB2 expansion (Belkin) device does not power up so it says "Confirm connection" swapping for a direct USB connection does work. I'll have to put the printer on the Belkin USB hub instead of the scanner.

Thanks, Lincoln

Just thought I'd mention that with Vuescan you don't need drivers to operate the 5400. I run mine this way on 10.6.7.

Carl

Another strong vote for VueScan, both with this scanner and most others. I don´t even bother to install the drivers that come with scanners any more...

I use mine with Vuescan all the time and the outcome is very good. I use the Minolta Scan software only when I have a dirty slide or negative and it needs ICE for a clean up! unfortunately, No way to profile the scanner with Minolta Software but is very easy with vuescan

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

...my goodness...I found my way back here from a google search, trying to find a solution for my Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400, Mac Pro and SnowLeopard conundrum – I had thought that this was never going to be possible and my scanner has been sitting since 2008.

...that's when I went digital, but I still have lots and lots of slides I would want to scan sooner or later.

Anyway, someone mentioned that with VueScan (which I had downloaded yesterday) it would be possible to scan – so I hooked it all up – first with Firewire (which did not work) then USB which did work!

So now I have scanned my first test slide taken with Leica and Kodachrome 25 when the Spruce Goose was towed in the Long Beach harbor to its exhibition dome...this...is VERY exciting!

However, I don't know if I will buy VueScan – although there are controls, there seems to be some lacking – for example, I do not see how I can determine file size exactly – this is not good enough. You select "print" and "8x10" or whatever...that's ridiculous...

Haven't checked scan (file) yet, but looked pretty good on screen....I understand there will be a watermark...

However, I don't know if I will buy VueScan – although there are controls, there seems to be some lacking – for example, I do not see how I can determine file size exactly – this is not good enough. You select "print" and "8x10" or whatever...that's ridiculous...

Haven't checked scan (file) yet, but looked pretty good on screen....I understand there will be a watermark...

Open up the advanced settings for more options.

You might also want to consider the Pro version for profiling and IT8 calibration, and also raw scan capabilities (plus lifetime free upgrades.)

Vuescan is quite robust and worth the relatively small amount he asks for, especially considering that it is not hardware specific like Silverfast.

Am I missing something important by not doing it?

Not if you are happy with the colour you are getting from your scanner. Profiling is useful (although IMO it isn't always the magic bullet it is often hoped to be) if the colour seems consistently off.

Not if you are happy with the colour you are getting from your scanner. Profiling is useful (although IMO it isn't always the magic bullet it is often hoped to be) if the colour seems consistently off.

Thanks, Ian. I stopped doing printing at home since discovering a very reasonably priced printer based in Yorkshire. The colours I get back are very good - so good I don't bother to check them against the screen - so I guess I'm OK with the setup I currently have.

LouisB

I know this is OT but I have never used profiling or IT8 calibration all the time using Vuescan with my Epson V700. Am I missing something important by not doing it?

The profiling only applies to slide film anyway, so if you're scanning colour negative there's no profiling.