lens array for M8

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I borrowed an M8 from my dealer of choice, then spent the evening and the next morning shooting with each of the lenses. Since I would get very little money selling the 15mm and 135mm lenses, I kept those. The 90mm seemed just a little too long for street shooting, so I let that go, and the 21mm didn't do anything special for me (maybe a hasty conclusion, but my feeling at the moment).

So I traded the M6, the 90, and the 21 for a very clean M8 and a couple of IR cut filters. I left the 135 for some minor repair work and am now learning to use the 35 and 50 Summicrons. In between photo sessions I'm packing and repacking this gear into my newThink Tank camera bag. Also checking the on-line world for a 75mm Summarit at a good price. And a 25mm Zeiss Biogon. And a . . . . Must stop this. Go take some pictures with what I've got.

• Like 2

Hence my question, to those with M8 shooting experience: which of these lenses should I insist on keeping? I know I should keep the 35mm, but none of the others seems as apt. The 15mm and the 21mm seem too wide, the 50mm seems just awkward, the 90mm and the 135mm seem too long.

Choosing new glasses are very depends on your personal needs and budget, especially with Leica glasses. Steve Huff wrote an article, WHICH LEICA LENS? . This is a good starting point before further reading from others.

Regards,

Joe

• 5 years later...

So I traded the M6, the 90, and the 21 for a very clean M8 and a couple of IR cut filters. I left the 135 for some minor repair work and am now learning to use the 35 and 50 Summicrons. In between photo sessions I'm packing and repacking this gear into my newThink Tank camera bag. Also checking the on-line world for a 75mm Summarit at a good price. And a 25mm Zeiss Biogon. And a . . . . Must stop this. Go take some pictures with what I've got.

Well, you've made your decision and I wish you having as much fun with your new equipment as I have with my M 8.2.
But if my money would be sufficient for a clean M8 plus thinking of buying a Summarit 75 plus a 25er, I would instead rather have opted for a full format M9.
The M8 was Leica's stopgap to produce a digital camera for M lenses quickly under market pressure, but it remained an unloved intermediate step on the way to M9.
If one also takes into account the age of the built-in electronics, including the no longer repairable display, one wishes you only the best of luck.

I would do you a direct swap of my M8 for your M6 if it is a TTL and in good condition. M8 upgraded with sapphire screen but not shutter as I wanted to keep 1/8000. Silver/chrome with rubber covering replaced with Rollei Black embossed real leather. 

Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

The CV15mm x 1.33 crop factory is equivalent to a 20mm. If you shoot architecture or landscapes, this is a definite keeper. Only you can determine what lenses to keep and which to get rid of if you really have to for whatever reason, monetary, or from lack of use.

If you still have it, definitely keep the CV 15mm! It's one of my staple lenses for my M8 for landscapes, architecture, and interiors. Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 1