Coffee stain - annoyance or a real problem?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Colleagues

After several happy years shooting film with my small R kit, I have just taken the plunge and bought an M8.2 as an alternative to my Nikon DSLR.

I bought the camera from a Leica dealer (with 100% feedback) through eBay. It has about 7.500 actuations. The camera appears to work flawlessly and the one or two small cosmetic marks on the silver top plate align with his advertisement. However, the LCD exhibits what I have found out to be known as a 'coffee stain'. It is not very big nor is it very dark and indeed it almost disappears from some angles.

The camera has a one year warranty. As I do not want to go through the hassle of packing up the camera, sending it back to the dealer and for him to send it to Solms, I am tempted simply to tell the dealer now in case the problem gets worse in the next 12 months. But is this the wrong idea? Will the stain get worse in the longer term, perhaps making the LCD screen unusable? Or can I indeed live with it?

Advice gratefully received.

Stephen

Dear Colleagues

After several happy years shooting film with my small R kit, I have just taken the plunge and bought an M8.2 as an alternative to my Nikon DSLR.

I bought the camera from a Leica dealer (with 100% feedback) through eBay. It has about 7.500 actuations. The camera appears to work flawlessly and the one or two small cosmetic marks on the silver top plate align with his advertisement. However, the LCD exhibits what I have found out to be known as a 'coffee stain'. It is not very big nor is it very dark and indeed it almost disappears from some angles.

The camera has a one year warranty. As I do not want to go through the hassle of packing up the camera, sending it back to the dealer and for him to send it to Solms, I am tempted simply to tell the dealer now in case the problem gets worse in the next 12 months. But is this the wrong idea? Will the stain get worse in the longer term, perhaps making the LCD screen unusable? Or can I indeed live with it?

Advice gratefully received.

Stephen

Sorry for the problems.

I have never have that problem so I do not know it become worse with time or not.

If I were you, I will contact to the dealer and ask exchange if he has another body. If dealer will not exchange it, then send it to repair before warranty expired.

You can get another one year warranty when Leica repair the camera, so it might be a good idea that you will wait to send it to repair until just before current warranty expired.

This is my thought.

SATOKI

Stephen, the coffee stain is more of an irritant since it does not effect image capture. However, I had mine fixed by Solms under warranty although it did take a few weeks. It does detract from the camera's value and I would be inclined to get the vendor to have it serviced for you. Solms do also check the camera and correct anything else, like rangefinder precision. This is another good reason for having it serviced sooner rather than later.

... You can get another one year warranty when Leica repair the camera, so it might be a good idea that you will wait to send it to repair until just before current warranty expired....

Minor clarification: Leica grants a one-year warranty on the entire camera for all billable repairs.

So if the dealer pays to have Leica remove the "coffee-cup stain," the camera will have a year's warranty from Leica.

I understand that it's a relatively time-consuming job, so the dealer may not want to pay for a merely cosmetic issue.

If the camera is a Leica refurb and carries a Leica warranty (not likely from your description), then absolutely, send it in. :)

It shouldn't be like that, but it makes no difference to image quality and the usefulness of the camera.

• Like 1

Many thanks to everyone for their kind and helpful replies.

My disappointment with the 'coffee stain' has been more than offset my delight at the image quality. Colours are delicate and beautifully rendered with the infamous Auto WB failing only in difficult lighting conditions (but, of course, there is adjustment possible in C1). B&W JPEGs straight from the camera are also surprisingly rich.

I would probably ignore the coffee stain altogether but, as David has acknowledged, it could affect resale value (not that I am in a hurry for an M9 ;)).

Having contacted Leica's agents in Belgium, they confirm that Solms will replace the LCD screen free-of-charge. However, it seems Leica is not accepting such work until at least mid-June due to a shortage of parts (perhaps the screens are sourced from Japan?).

Once again, many thanks for the advice.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Stephen

My M8.2 also developed quite a noticeable "coffee stain" some time ago, quite a large and dark(ish) one which enclosed almost half the screen area. As it did not affect image quality I procrastinated about sending it back to Solms.

After about three months, the stain disappeared without any intervention on my part and did not show up again in the further year that I had the camera. If you put up with it until the warranty is about to expire, that would probably be the time to send it back.

In the meantime, just enjoy a remarkable camera!

Best wishes

Peter

Happened to me as well--a light stain in the center of the LCD. It was a minor annoyance, and I left it alone until just prior to my warranty expiring. When I did send it in to Leica USA they not only replaced the LCD, but the leatherette as well (I'm imagine because they had to remove it original to access the LCD) and they gave it a CLA. I was very pleased with the returned camera -- it looked brand new!