Today acquired a Leicaflex SL2 MOT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a "feeling" that modern batteries may be just a little bit bigger than the the originals,thus putting more stress on the plastic at the female end.

As a temporary measure you can try gaffer tape to hold the two halves of the battery box together after inserting the batteries.

I just had a thought.

If all else fails yo could always try contacting Leica service department in Wetzlar. I never cease to be amazed. at some of the things they still have!

Best of luck,

Oldphart.

• Like 1

The batteries make a lot of pressure on the springs and stress the female threaded  parts molded in the plastic lid

I made some news in brass using my lathe and next glue them from the outside on the lid

(the heads look like a thin washer same diameter as the plastic rounds outside)

never been so strong before.

This sounds promising, JC.  Could you please post a pic of your repair?

Could Mr. Braconi post pictures of his "fix" with custom-made parts? And also show us engineers how the camera, motor and battery box fit together?

As a screwmount user, I have never seen this camera or its motor drive and battery box. However I believe that someone creative could make a power supply using modern high-capacity batteries, and make both a mechanical mount and an electric feed (connector plug and/or cable) for a solution.

Are there any camera repair shops with technicians who fabricate custom solutions, such as the famed Marty Forscher (he passed away in 2009) who ran Professional Camera Repair Service in Midtown Manhattan for 40 years? It would seem from the testimonials that these later Leicaflex cameras are excellent, and worth repairing to keep using. Even without their motor drives.

• Like 1

Could Mr. Braconi post pictures of his "fix" with custom-made parts? And also show us engineers how the camera, motor and battery box fit together?

As a screwmount user, I have never seen this camera or its motor drive and battery box. However I believe that someone creative could make a power supply using modern high-capacity batteries, and make both a mechanical mount and an electric feed (connector plug and/or cable) for a solution.

Are there any camera repair shops with technicians who fabricate custom solutions, such as the famed Marty Forscher (he passed away in 2009) who ran Professional Camera Repair Service in Midtown Manhattan for 40 years? It would seem from the testimonials that these later Leicaflex cameras are excellent, and worth repairing to keep using. Even without their motor drives.

Sorry I done this work on a batteries holder more than 10 year ago and the complete set was not belonging to me ...

The best picture for the batteries holder is included in this post with 2 Leicaflex Mot combo

• Like 1

I think, this is an excellent proposal. In Germany I would visit the Conrad company, perhaps their homepage is useful.

Jan

Edited by jankap

I will have to ask Malcolm Taylor or, failing that, engineer friends here in Oxford.

I don't like to put a too simplistic view on it, but all it is is a container that holds batteries and attaches to a couple of contacts within. Surely something could be made. Or at least the current unit patched up?

Given it's use, the cost/practicality ratio is not applicable, :lol: .

Hope you get it sorted.

Gary

Here some sketch about what I have done, if I remember well, using a brass bar to substitute the original pieces  broken in the battery holder

the internal thread is to be checked with the bolts ones

Hope this will help

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Al, Plastic, especially old brittle plastic, requires a special plastic adhesive e.g. http://www.unibond.co.uk/en/diy-adhesives/epoxy-repair/epoxy-repair--plastic.html  ... being epoxy it's stronger than regular plastic adhesive and with care could likely be moulded into the damaged/ incomplete join … but the existing adhesive repair would need removal.   To test its suitability try a small amount on the exterior of the detached pillar to prove it will adhere/bond … if the 'test' bonds successfully it can if necessary be removed by gently filing away  …  if the bond is successful apply to the repair. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Have anybody of you actually used the camera with the motor?? Looks like a monster. A neckbreaking experience? Is it any useful? 

I walked around Manchester city centre earlier this month with mine, using a 60 f2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R. No problem! Motor attached, but only single shot... but it was useful as you could quickly fire off a second shot without loosing the composition.

Took mostly architectural street, rather than "people" street shots. Met a guy with a vintage TLR - we had to stop and chat about the joy of keeping the old school cameras alive.

I developed my Tri-X that night and copied the negs with my Monocrom. Here's a couple...

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jpattison
  • Like 5