Today acquired a Leicaflex SL2 MOT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today acquired a scarce Leicaflex SL2 MOT ... 1020 MOT (motor drive) cameras appear to have been made but models outside the generally recognised sequence of SNs exist . Also, others were assembled from spare parts after production ceased. At the present time I do not have the matching motor drive to fit the camera.

This particular near mint example, SN 14445XX, appears to be outside the documented sequence which according to Laney, (Leica Pocket Book) ended at SN 1421150.

DSCF5148.jpg

DSCF5149.jpg

The camera has a totally mechanical focal plane shutter with a top speed of 1/2000 sec; metering is via match needle and is very much more sensitive than Leica's first TTL SLR the Leicaflex SL.

DSCF5151.jpg

Leitz Mk I 50mm f2 Summicron attached ... at the time this camera was manufactured (1976) the Mk II 50/2 Summicron was also released so either lens is 'correct' provided the Mk II is triple cam. There is probably not much difference in performance between the 1964 Mk I and the 1976 Mk II lens ... in fact the Mk I MTF graphs look better in some respects. The Mk II lens was current until approx. 2006.

DSCF5170.jpg

Pictured with its siblings ... L to R, Back: 1964 Leicaflex (First year of manufacture, 'Pie Shaped' frame counter) in chrome finish, non-TTL meter; 1974 Leicaflex SL, the first Leica camera (1968) with TTL metering and available in both chrome and black finishes. L to R Front: 1976 Leicaflex SL2 MOT (Motor Drive model) ... all made in black chrome finish; 1975 Leicaflex SL2 fitted with 35mm f2 Summicron lens. The SL2 was available in both black chrome and silver chrome finish.

The Leicaflex SLR series of cameras, manufactured 1964 to 1976 were 100% Leitz Wetzlar - designed and made in Germany. Leitz ceased production because the Leicaflex became uneconomic to manufacture when the Japanese were making cheaper and more versatile cameras. From 1976 ish Leitz formed a partnership with Minolta and thus began the manufacture of the Leica R series of reflex cameras - commencing with the Leica R3 which was a modified Minolta XE-1. The original German Leicaflex series has stood the test of time and many are still in use worldwide. Their one highly regarded attribute which has never been improved upon by any manufacturer is the bright viewfinder/prism system. Even today, the 1968 Leicaflex SL has the brightest viewfinder of any camera made by any manufacturer - not bad for a design which is over 40 years old.

Cheers

dunk

• Like 10

Since commencing this thread, I have been advised that the Leicaflex SL2 MOT bodies made outside the normal production run from "spares", and having 'out of sequence' SNs, were in fact produced using pre-assembled modules from normal production.

Thank you Hans ;)

dunk

You will find some more in here :

LEICA HISTORICA

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jc_braconi
  • Like 9

• 6 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Leica SL MOT and a SL2 MOT, both with motors. 

However the "battery box" on one of the motors is broken where the metal screws fit into the plastic.

Not a major problem unless I want to use both together as the one good battery box fits either motor. 

Last week I was at a camera fair in Solms (about 7 miles from Wetzlar.) and saw a battery box on one of the stalls.

I asked how much it was, expecting a price of 30 or 40 Euro. and was surprised when after a few seconds thought it was handed to me with the comment "No charge, a GIFT!"

So now my SL MOT and SL2 MOT are both in full working order.

Sometimes life is GOOD!!

Oldphart

• Like 3

Just beautiful cameras... ! 

A Leicaflex SL was a dream of mine from the first time I handled one in 1968. It took until 2013 before I acquired one, then I acquired another and an R8. And a whole mess of lenses. 

But time has moved on for me. I sold off the R8 and the silver Leicaflex SL, and several of my R lenses, to purchase the 90-280mm lens for my Leica SL. I use the R lenses mostly on the SL anyway. I kept the black Leicaflex SL and a lens kit of 19, 50, 60 Macro, 90, 100 Macro, 135, and 180 mm lenses for it. It's a wonderful camera and that's probably more lenses than I need anyway. 

However the "battery box" on one of the motors is broken where the metal screws fit into the plastic.

Not a major problem unless I want to use both together as the one good battery box fits either motor. 

Last week I was at a camera fair in Solms (about 7 miles from Wetzlar.) and saw a battery box on one of the stalls.

I asked how much it was, expecting a price of 30 or 40 Euro. and was surprised when after a few seconds thought it was handed to me with the comment "No charge, a GIFT!"

Sometimes life is GOOD!!

Oldphart

Wow! Unbelievable. That's great.
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your purchase...that was my favorite Leica SLR in past years, beating out earlier models as well as an R3 and R8. Mine was a beater, so I never worried about keeping it pristine, but I loved that viewfinder!

Add me to the gaggle of euphoric owners as well, black SL, with the obligatory 50/2 (2 cam).

Recently I acquired a 35/2 (3 cam), and am having a blast shooting film with it.

The Elpro's attach perfectly to the 50mm as well, but you know that anyway Dunk.

Gary

It is common courtesy to mention who the donor was.

Add me to the gaggle of euphoric owners as well, black SL, with the obligatory 50/2 (2 cam).

Recently I acquired a 35/2 (3 cam), and am having a blast shooting film with it.

The Elpro's attach perfectly to the 50mm as well, but you know that anyway Dunk.

Gary

Dunk ,  thanks for your post and pictures ... great memories for me

Bought in 1970 , when I was student , a SL . It was my first Leica .

I enter in Leica world since this date :)

In 2017 , it's still operational and glad Solms still find spare parts for a

revision ...

Here some pictures taken with our SL Gary and me) a great camera :

solid , acurate lightmeter,  IMO like a Leica MP :)

First pictures , honor to Gary  :)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/?p=3249068

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/?p=3249383

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/?p=3248794

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Sometimes life is GOOD!!

Oldphart

By sad coincidence the plastic in my SL2 MOT battery box gave way this morning and broke. Brittleness must a common problem with a plastic that is now getting on to 45 years of age, especially plastic that was designed to hold and bear the stress of 10 AA-size spring-loaded batteries. Design-wise this small bit of plastic seems to be the ironic Achilles' heel of an otherwise indestructible motor. Options are limited: either get lucky like oldphart, or shell out more money on more brittle plastic. Maybe a case for saying goodbye to the motor.

Thanks, Gary. Here it is: the two sides of the battery box 14147 are held together by metal screws which, in turn, are anchored by plastic pillars. I am holding the one that's broken off. An unfortunate 'duh' moment in the annals of Leitz design.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks, but I doubt plastic welding will work.  There's little plastic to work with, and it's so brittle that part of the surround has broken off as well.  Meanwhile the resistance from 10 AA batteries pushing the sides apart makes for considerable stress, probably too much for a repair to hold.  I have already tried inserting part of a wooden toothpick coated in crazy glue into the hole left in the stump... but failed.

The batteries make a lot of pressure on the springs and stress the female threaded  parts molded in the plastic lid

I made some news in brass using my lathe and next glue them from the outside on the lid

(the heads look like a thin washer same diameter as the plastic rounds outside)

never been so strong before.

• Like 3