Noctilux 0.95 - ND filter tip?

Clandrel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Just got my Nocti 0.95 today. I'm so exited!

Does anyone have any idea on what ND filter to get if I wanna shoot wide open in daylight? Will a three-stop .9 ND filter do, or do I need the 1.8 six-stop?

And: Do you recommend B+W or Heliopan? Any links to good deals?

Best

/c

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed, neli is right that having both the 0.9 and the 1.8 ND filters will give you maximum flexibility in being able to shoot your new Noct wide-open regardless of the light conditions you face.

I generally don't like filters, rationalizing that after spending a ton of money on an exquisite bit of optical magic, I don't want to compromise its image quality potential. I vastly prefer shooting naked.

I also, with few exceptions, prefer the lowest iso I can get away with. That inevitably informs my shooting decisions.

I only have the 1.8 ND filter. To give you an idea of how that impacts shooting the Noct, here are a few images from last week, all shot at f1.

The first one here was taken during a lunchtime stroll. It was a mix of sun and shade. Althought not brightly bright, a la a sunny beach or snow scene, I knew many shots would nevertheless exceed the 1/4000 max shutter speed on my M9. So I screwed on the 1.8 filter before I left.

Walking along, I captured a handful of street scenes. This one was typical - 1/45 at f1. ISO 160.

trek.jpg

Screwing and unscrewing filters is a hassle. You have to be careful not to get fingerprints on either your filter or your lens and if you take the filter off, you have to carefully put it back in its plastic box. Generally I won't mess with that while out walking around. On this day, I did remove the filter when I stopped at a cafe for lunch - both because light levels were much lower inside the cafe (as it turns out, I didn't take any shots while inside) and because it's a lot less hassle when you're sitting down. I put the filter back on before I left.

Walking back to work, I captured this image. It's an example of how even on a sunny day you can encounter images that are not brightly lit. It turned out okay, but in retrospect I should have bumped the iso to 320 or 640 in order to maintain a higher shutter speed. 1/12 at f1. ISO 160.

redoro.jpg

The next day was solidly overcast. You might think you could shoot naked at f1 in this light. And you could if you had an un-modified M8 with its 1/8000 max shutter speed. But the 1/4000 on my M9 wouldn't quite make it. So on the filter goes.

This shot was typical. 1/125 at f1. ISO 160.

the_rail_stop_daylight.jpg

And then, finally, shooting at night. Naked for sure. Here is where, even with that vaunted f1 or f0.95 f-stop, you need some help. Up goes the iso. This one was shot at 1/90 at f1. ISO 1250.

the_iron_bridge.jpg

The bottom line is that the 1.8 ND filter will allow you to shoot your Noct wide open in virtually all circumstances, with minimal changing of filters. The downside is that it will force you to use a couple-stop higher iso here and there that you wouldn't have to if you also have the 0.9 ND filter - and are willing to swap out one filter for another.

The 0.9 ND filter brings some additional flexibility. But it can't alone get the job done.

Hope that helps...

Edited by Jager
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will never understand this 'I've got a six thousand dollar lens to shoot wide pen in broad daylight' thing. Out of focus rendition is not in and of itself interesting....

It's not, in and of itself, interesting. It is, however, a style of photography that some like. I'm one of them.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Hate to sound like a real newb here but I am about to order a couple of B&W ND filters for my Noctilux but wanted to check the thread. Some people on here quote 60 x 0.75 when talking about the filter size. Is the Noctilux different from most other lenses or will just the standard B&W filters suffice? I have bought a lot of filters in the past and only ever quoted the diameter. Presumed the thread pitch is standard for them

Edited by Big_g

• 4 weeks later...

Here you go -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=752899&gclid=CLLC45Xhos4CFQesaQodYD8B7g&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&A=details&Q=

And - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759307-REG/B_W_73073_60mm_103_Neutral_Density.html

I have both these filters for my f/1.0 Noctilux.  The -6 EV filter (1.8) is for shooting wide open in sunlight.  The -3 EV (0.9) is for shooting wide open in shade, subdued light or on cloudy days. 

Then there's the B+W -10 EV ND filter - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752942-REG/B_W_1066182_60mm_110_Solid_Neutral.html

@Big_g,

The Noctilux takes standard 60mm filters.  The 0.75 you are reading about refers to the light stopping ability of the ND filter. 

Edited by Carlos Danger

Carlos

Thanks for the reply. The 0.75 does actually refer to the pitch of the thread in the filter. I had some filter caps custom made and the engineering company needed to know the pitch to cut the correct thread :)

0.75 could be a reference to the ND factor of the filter I guess but not a normal setting. I think this would be a 2.5 stop ND of the 0.75 referred to this. 

But always good to get an answer to a query. Thanks again