Quiet Shutter

sm23221

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The quietest camera I have ever heard is the Sigma DP1. It uses an electronic leaf shutter that makes the tiniest 'snck' sound, quieter than other digital compacts like the Canon G10 and S90, which are very quiet indeed. Its lens extension is louder.

Right. Now that you say it, I remember that I had a DP1 for some time and it was indeed very quiet. In fact it was so quiet that especially in the beginning I was a bit annoyed because IMO the shutter button didn't give enough tactile feedback and you sometimes didn't really know if you had taken a picture or not (unless you were chimping).

I'm sure this is just a matter of experience with the camera, though. I probably didn't use it often enough.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Over the years I've had over a dozen film M cameras. I'm interested in which models or what adjustments are needed to make the shutter quiet. Currently I have two early M3s - DS - which are extremely quiet, just a "ch" sound, whereas my later M3s and my M6 and MP have much more of a follow through - more like "chkk". One of the later M3s has just been refurbished with new curtains and brake adjusted.

• Like 1