I love my Leicaflex!

ganzosrevenge

the rig  was an answer to a question nobody asked

Hello Harryzet,

Unless you were asking for the ability to increase the effective speed of the motor in your Leicaflex SL or Leicaflex  SL2.

Please re-read my Post #198, just above.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

• 3 weeks later...

Here https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1948817_leica-leica-r-tandem-coupling-device-14185  it's described as a "rare device for two SL (SL2) MOT cameras for simultaneous use with motor drive..."  Simultaneous use with motor drive?  If that's not a use for stereo photography; then I don't know what is.  I have no idea why anyone would want such a device if it's not going to be used for stereo photography.  Could you please explain why else would anyone would want to be shooting off two cameras at the same time.  

Thanks

Here's the official answer. Leitz Wetzlar's explanation as found in the SL MOT with motor factory working sheet from May 1971. The SLMOT tandem device 14185 was never meant for stereo work, it was for "series exposures".

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to admit it's interesting.  Even though these uses were already explained; it's very interesting to read the possible uses from Leica itself.  I don't know how fast a motor drive is for the R9, but I would think with today's equipment; one might get close to the 6-7 frames per second with one Leica film camera.  Several things that could not be done with one camera though is like they say; B&W then color (at least not quickly,) and different focal lengths...(again not quickly.) 

One time I was at the end of a roll of B&W film, changed to color film and shot the same image again.  Those two shots are in a series one after the other in one of my slide presentations...both are interesting.  And of course it can also be used for hyperstereo images, but I'm sure no one has ever done that. 

Thanks for the info. 

• 2 months later...

I still have and love my original Leicaflex Mark II that I bought in 1966 (actually a Leitz provided replacement for a Mark 1 that locked up on me!) with the 50 Summicron and 90mm f2.8 Elmarit R lenses.  I had ordered a 35mm f2.8, but at the suggestion of my wife canceled the order for a Minolta super 8 movie camera to cover the birth and young life of our first daughter.

This camera has the best ergonomics of any camera I have ever held, and the image viewing through the aerial viewfinder is spectacular.  The view looks like there is nothing between you and the scene being photographed.  No other Leicaflex and Leica R, or other brand SLRs can compare.  This comes at a price though.  You can not check depth of field, focus outside of the central image focusing circle, or use with slow lenses.

And the lenses are superb.

My only problems with the camera is that the shutter brake  malfunctioned once, which resulted in shutter bounce that produced  over exposure on one edge.  A trip to Wetzlar solved that problem. The other problem was occasional film curvature with fine grained films such as Kodak High Contrast Copy film and VTE Pan film.  This problem was resolved in the Leicaflex SL with a roller that flattened the film before the film gate.

This camera with Kodachrome II was spectacular!

• Like 1

"My only problems with the camera is that the shutter brake  malfunctioned once, which resulted in shutter bounce that produced  over exposure on one edge.  A trip to Wetzlar solved that problem."

Eilert , I did it recently in Wetzlar and it's fine now .Leica still have spare parts after 47 years ! They also set the lightmeter electronics for new battery V625U  1.5V

"The other problem was occasional film curvature with fine grained films such as Kodak High Contrast Copy film and VTE Pan film.  This problem was resolved in the Leicaflex SL with a roller that flattened the film before the film gate".

It depends on film when it's too thin.The camera is not involved
I have the same thing with some film brands on my MP. Kodak TX is fine , a little curved

The manner of drying the film after development is also important. Dry straight to the air, with ballast down.

That's what I do. In the enlarger film is automatically flat when I work with the enlarger !

The large lens of the condenser flattened the film !

I agree with you , Leicaflex SL is the best of SLR ! Viewfinder is clear , we have a luminous view and it is optically

entirely mechanical, not electronic (with a small LCD screen)

I agree , Leicaflex reproduces color perfectly specially with Kodachrome :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

For Eilert :)

Kodachrome 64-Leicaflex SL (1969)-Summicron 50 (1969)

Nikon Coolscan 5000

Calais Cliff

Best

Henry

Hello Doc,

I can be corrected, Eilert Anders talked about his original Leicaflex that is older than your Leicaflex SL ;) .

Not the same finder and meter cell is external (not spot -_- ).

Kodachrome II ( 25 ASA spectacular film, best of all Kodachrome after :p with color palette of it's own and very contrasty ),  was replaced by Kodachrome 25 that has another color palette than Kodachrome 64.

Arnaud

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
My new baby (1966 Leicaflex Mk2 / 1969 Summicron R)

That  looks  like it  is in  excellent  condition.  An  inspiration   to   take  out  and  take pictures  with .

$150 @ B&H.  I took it out for some test shots (a boring roll of Kodak 400 works great).  The meter on it is exactly ONE stop off from my Nikon F3 (reference meter).  I need to set it to one stop higher ISO.  (ie: if i shoot 400, i need to set it to 800).  Shutter is dead on and doesn't stick.  Meter is dead on.  MLU works.  It is quickly becoming my favorite Leica.  One quirk:  Someone replaced the aluminum rewind shaft with a brass one.  I like it though, adds heft and whoever made it did a very nice job.

It's making me yearn for a MK1 from the 108xxxx range now.  If the Mk2 is this solid, I can ONLY imagine what the Mk1 - pre cost-cuts - must be like in terms of in-hand quality.  

• 4 months later...

39350290502_cc342d9a50_z.jpgLeicaflex has a nice new elmarit by ganzology, on Flickr

24514802887_7e8451401b_z.jpgLeicaflex has a nice new elmarit by ganzology, on Flickr

When you have arguably the least loved Leica in Leicaland, and you buy it a nice shiny new lens for it... a lens you left behind @ B&H because you couldn't afford it at the time you bought the Leicaflex.... that's LOVING the Leicaflex.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A beauty shot

Edited by ganzosrevenge
  • Like 1