I love my M4

• 1 month later...

My Black Chrome (mostly still) M4 with a replacement MD-2 Bodyshell fitted - the original had cracked and was held together with epoxy - so frame selector, 135mm frame lines and self-timer were disposed of too. Although it may not be pretty, it has had a service and sounds good - still to put a film in as its been back with me for only a few days. I'm sorting out a new covering now.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Well the original m4 I bought arrived and was far from mint! It got sent back to the classic camera who then reduced the rating to mint minus and slapped £100 on the price tag! Yeah I can't work it out either!

So to cut a long story short I am now the owner of a truly mint m4p anniversary model. To say I'm pleased is an understatement!

20160713_185535.jpg

20160713_185549.jpg

I also picked up a zeiss planar f2 to mount on the front, again a mint second hand buy

IMG_20160709_111430.jpg

I've just ordered some kodak portra 400 today to shoot with so I'm really pleased all in all!

• Like 3

My Black Chrome (mostly still) M4 with a replacement MD-2 Bodyshell fitted - the original had cracked and was held together with epoxy - so frame selector, 135mm frame lines and self-timer were disposed of too. Although it may not be pretty, it has had a service and sounds good - still to put a film in as its been back with me for only a few days. I'm sorting out a new covering now.

M4.jpg

That will look really well with a new covering!!

I'm Wetzlared-out!

• Like 6

Hello Giganova,

Not simply re-branded.

Over the years Leitz/Leica have gotten some of their lenses (And other things) from outside suppliers. Generally speaking they have NOT simply put their own "label" on top of someone else's work. Rather: They have either had it in some way altered, used their own "fine tuning" or/&  exersized their own quality control, etc.

A current example of this is the 75mm, F2 Summicron which is also a a Schneider made lens. This is considered 1 of the best lenses in the current Leica group of lenses.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

A current example of this is the 75mm, F2 Summicron which is also a a Schneider made lens. This is considered 1 of the best lenses in the current Leica group of lenses.

I think you are mistaken about this, Michael (that it is a Schneider made lens not that it is one of the best lenses in the catalogue). As far as I know, the 75 Summicron APO ASPH is a Karbe design and a close relative of the venerable 50 Summilux ASPH and built by Leica in the same factories. I've never heard that Schneider had or have any involvement in its design or manufacture.

Edited by wattsy

Hello Ian,

If you go to the top of this page & click the Icon for this Forum's own wiki.

And then click "M" lenses.

And then click 75mm, F2, Summicron.

And then read the 3rd line down. It will say that this lens is manufactured by Schneider.

Schneider is a company that has manufactured a number of Leitz/Leica lenses over the years.

Best Regards,

Michael

Looks like the Wiki needs amending. Leica's own pdf states 'we created' which doesn't sound like an outsourced design. There has also been discussion on the forum about the 75mm Summicron being a derivative design of the 50mm Summilux Aspheric, and consequently a Karbe design.

Schneider is a company that has manufactured a number of Leitz/Leica lenses over the years.

Yes, I know that but I don't believe that the 75 Summicron is one of those. Schneider's involvement in Leica lenses pre-dates the present Leica 'regime' by many years (a few decades I think). Off the top of my head, I think the 28PC lens for the R system was the last such lens. 

Hello Ian & Paul,

It is not unusual for a Company to design & develop something & then to have another Company produce it for them.

1 of you might contact Leica Wetzlar & ask them specifically about the 75mm, F2 Summicron.

I would do this myself but my computer skills are somewhat limited.

Best Regards,

Michael

Got his camera with unaligned finder and a bulked rewind lever, after a visit to the technicians at the Portuguese Leica Importer, and a 200 euros CLA, it is like new. Love this camera, my first without a meter.

:)

• Like 3

Now recovered and with the 21mm Super-Angulon fitted (ignore filthy filter - must clean!). Well used (it really is a 'user') and currently loaded with Tri-X.

Edited by pgk
  • Like 9

Well the original m4 I bought arrived and was far from mint! It got sent back to the classic camera who then reduced the rating to mint minus and slapped £100 on the price tag! Yeah I can't work it out either!

So to cut a long story short I am now the owner of a truly mint m4p anniversary model. To say I'm pleased is an understatement!

20160713_185549.jpg

I also picked up a zeiss planar f2 to mount on the front, again a mint second hand buy

I've just ordered some kodak portra 400 today to shoot with so I'm really pleased all in all!

Allicio first congratulations for your M4P

secondly it is rare enough to notice the caps on the flash sockets :)

usually they have disappeared, not good for dusts  :angry: 

Don't forget to share your pictures with us

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-962

Thanks and you are welcome :)

Good photos with Kodak Portra a nice film with faithful colors

However take a summicron to start :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1