I love my M4

This is the set that started my Leica relation, along with a Hector 90mm. Beautiful! and a record in design and esthetics that has never been beaten afterwards. 

What striked me the most immediately in comparison to Nikon, was that dodging shadows in printing was possible to a high degree without loosing contrast in the darker areas

Edited by otto.f

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using this setup for a bit... Heavy but quite nice.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Heavy? About the most lightweight M there is

Not quite. Aside from the M5, the M4 is second in weight only to the M7:

M7     610g

M4     600g

M3     595g

MP     585g

M2     580g

M-A   578g

M6     560g

M4-P 545g

M4-2  525g

M1     545g

The M5 is a hefty 700g

• Like 2

I have a question on my M4 that always intrigued me... Shouldn't it have framelines like an M6? Mine only has 35, 50 and 90 (which I love, btw) but the camera still has the L seal (or whatever it's called) intact which implies the framelines have not been changed on it.

Met a crazy friend at a cafe, he brought his cameras. People on the street were going crazy asking us if we we're selling them. I said yes, one hundred bucks. You should have seen the guy's face.

2x M4, M2, MP, M7 

Leicas.jpg

• Like 9

Met a crazy friend at a cafe, he brought his cameras. People on the street were going crazy asking us if we we're selling them. I said yes, one hundred bucks. You should have seen the guy's face.

2x M4, M2, MP, M7

Holy crap those are nice!

The M2 and M4 make my legs weak....they are beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

One more of my 1974 M4 in black chrome, but with the current black chrome 50mm Summilux ASPH. It's like they were made for each other.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by colint544
  • Like 7

25726745704_4ed198aa0a_c.jpgLate 1966 Leica M4 with 1957 DR Summicron and Kameraleder half case by CSG_Photography, on Flickr

Bought this as a 60th birthday present to myself a few years ago.  The M4 is from the first batch of 3000 and the '57 5cm Summicron was purchased from Sherry Krauter.  Lovely camera but I don't use it often (or my other film cameras) having been taken in by digital.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I've just ordered a mint condition boxed m4 body for £899. Couldn't make my mind up between this and a mint M6 ttl .85 which admittedly was more money but is obviously newer. I liked the idea of the old school meter less leica with the older style construction. I'm still shitting myself I've made the right decision though ha!!

Edited by Allicio

I've just ordered a mint condition boxed m4 body for £899. Couldn't make my mind up between this and a mint M6 ttl .85 which admittedly was more money but is obviously newer. I liked the idea of the old school meter less leica with the older style construction. I'm still sitting myself I've made the right decision though ha!!

Awesome! 

You made a good choice...no worries for sure.