I love my M4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I should admit this was a bit of a one-off. I came across a seller who had a few boxes of expired Velvia that had been in the freezer for a few years. For 3.50€ a roll I figured it was worth the gamble. So far I haven't had any bizarre colours on the photos but even if a few turn out to be duds it's not a catastrophe.

I have found that old-style camera shops (and there are luckily some left) sometimes have freezers with expired film they don't know what to do with so it pays off to ask around.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have loved the M4 from a distance until today, when I discovered this mint 1974 black chrome beauty in a local camera store for a very reasonable price. The store employees said it had never had a roll of film through it, and while that may have been an exaggeration, I certainly couldn't find a mark on it.

It is definitely the most beautiful camera I've ever seen, and I'm thrilled to have it. However, I've just learned that this black chrome Midland model is "one of the rarer Leicas" (Gandy) and apparently there were only 550 made. Given its condition and its rarity, is this more of a collector's item than a user? If it's not a serious collector's piece, I'm happy to just use it. But if it is a really sought-after model then I might be better off doing what Rick mentions earlier in this thread: selling it (after fondling/appreciating it for a while of course) and then buying a user M4. Any advice on this? I am not a collector and I wouldn't want to be always worried about damaging it.

On the other hand, I'm already thinking of it as "my precious," so perhaps it's too late for me...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Bazwell
to attach photo
  • Like 16

My own view for both cameras and classic cars is that they are for using, not for wrapping up in cotton wool and occasional fondling. I have an equally mint IIF and 50 Summitar that my father bought in New York in 1953, then put in a drawer and hardly ever used, as he preferred his IIIA and Summar. Given that it was my father's, I am never going to sell it, so I might as well use it, which I do carefully. I would do the same with your lovely black M4. Use it but use it carefully. Financially you might be better off selling it and getting a more used M4 but that is a camera which I would love to use. It all depends what you had to pay for it. If it has had that little use, if it has not had one, it will probably need a CLA, as Leica grease dries out and goes hard.

Wilson

• Like 5

I have loved the M4 from a distance until today, when I discovered this mint 1974 black chrome beauty in a local camera store for a very reasonable price. The store employees said it had never had a roll of film through it, and while that may have been an exaggeration, I certainly couldn't find a mark on it.

It is definitely the most beautiful camera I've ever seen, and I'm thrilled to have it. However, I've just learned that this black chrome Midland model is "one of the rarer Leicas" (Gandy) and apparently there were only 550 made. Given its condition and its rarity, is this more of a collector's item than a user? If it's not a serious collector's piece, I'm happy to just use it. But if it is a really sought-after model then I might be better off doing what Rick mentions earlier in this thread: selling it (after fondling/appreciating it for a while of course) and then buying a user M4. Any advice on this? I am not a collector and I wouldn't want to be always worried about damaging it.

On the other hand, I'm already thinking of it as "my precious," so perhaps it's too late for me...

Doesn't seem particularly collectible or valuable. Just go out and shoot with it if thats what you bought it for....

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you gentlemen! I think I will keep it and use it because that is what I intended when I was looking for an M4. Is it advisable to get it CLA'd before first usage, or is it "safe" to try out a roll or two first? I am thinking of sending it to Kindermann since I'm in Canada and Gerry there gets very good reports.

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen! I think I will keep it and use it because that is what I intended when I was looking for an M4. Is it advisable to get it CLA'd before first usage, or is it "safe" to try out a roll or two first? I am thinking of sending it to Kindermann since I'm in Canada and Gerry there gets very good reports.

If all is working smoothly there is no need for a CLA. But if it has been sitting unused for many years it may need re-lubricating.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Am I allowed to post a photo of my M4-P here? It's some kind of an M4 I guess… :) (M3 on the bottom)

I just removed the white letters and like it now even more. No Lenny Kravitz mod for me though.

• Like 3

And one more, this time taken with a Leica and a Summilux 50 ASPH.

Edited by cheetahXT
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

M4-2 "red skin".

Anyway, it is a smooth tool camera, with the 50 Summicron, as well as my friend Mauro Metallo.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Time to expose my thingy, I bought it already a few months ago, but couldn't get the right light on it thus far, so here is something acceptable after transgressed manipulative PP

BTW, it was a package deal with the here shown Summitar 50 from 1946 (tip from pico, Thanx!). It draws as beautiful as a Vermeer painting. This lens has a flower at the inside of the front lens, the effect of which I only see at F16, which surprised me a lot. So to all of to those who become nervous at seeing a bargain for a second hand lens: inspect the photographic results first before you decide to fall dead on some dents on the lens itself.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

I wanted to try a M4 forever now since it was the only film M I never used and finally got around getting one as a little "project" while my M7 is getting a CLA. 

Bought this beauty with broken shutter curtains, got that repaired and a full CLA done, it runs insanely smooth now. Next up on the list is replacing the cracked leatherette with Aki Asahi leather.

I love using the M4 and I'll be sad to let it go again once my 7 is back. Maybe I just keep it  :rolleyes:

VDuIUWU.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Judging by how often these "I love my M(x)" threads resurface, the M4 is the least loved M, which I think is unfortunate because it's one heck of a camera. I've been using mine regularly since November because my TTL is stuck at Newoldcamera for service. 

Is anyone else using their M4s?

If this image had had a title it might have been "And you, sir, were doing what exactly shooting in the dark near Area 51?"

C-Lux 2

• Like 3

I wish I still had mine, it was my all time favorite M, but my M2 does a good job of filling the gap along with a iif which is rapidly rising in my esteem. Anyway, attached is a photo of my M4 companion for over 40 years:

• Like 3