Palermo in October

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cheap hotel, next to the station... Should be full of life :)

Edit: It looks OK to me, if their website is anything to go by

I stayed at the Hotel del Centro on my reconnoissance visit last December and am staying there this time too. The hotel's basic but clean, the management speak good English and the staff is friendly and the hotel is located in an interesting area - the former Phoenician quarter with ancient buildings and narrow alleyways.

Pete.

I stayed at the Hotel del Centro on my reconnoissance visit last December and am staying there this time too. The hotel's basic but clean, the management speak good English and the staff is friendly and the hotel is located in an interesting area - the former Phoenician quarter with ancient buildings and narrow alleyways.

Pete.

Thanks Pete. I chose it off Google Earth, (a) for it's proximity to Central Station (I arr. from Roma @ midnight!), and (B) because the streets looked narrow and invitingly mysterious. :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmm, it's changed from last night when it was to be around 28 degrees and solid sunshine. Scorchio!:p

Pete.

Possibly but then

a. It depends on which site you look at.

b. Weather forecasts are notoriously inaccurate! :D

I shall still bring an umbrella - as well as a sun hat and Factor 30.

Have a great time everyone, enjoy yourselves and I look forward to seeing all the marvellous images !!

Same from me! Really wish I could have made it.

Best,

Simon

For those who are flying to Palermo please take note: the arrangements for the bus have changed since I was in Palermo in December so what I wrote earlier is now wrong. They are rebuilding at the airport so the bus stop has moved and when I trudged down to the underground train station to buy the bus ticket, the little kiosk was closed. I found the Prestia e Comande bus by walking out of the front of the airport, turning right, walking 50 metres or so until I found a slanted concrete building-bunker-thing on the left and the bus was waiting beyond that.

I paid as I entered the bus and the price was 5 Euro 80. If you have the correct shrapnel (change) you'll avoid the rather melodramatic rolly-eyes and world-weary "huff" from the driver.

• Like 2