Back Pack suggestions

kuau

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Where does the wine bottle go?

With only

• Insulated hydration tube cover in shoulder harness
  • Hydration system compatible

the contents could go there (guess it'll be super-messy to clean up :p) and bottle will have to stay at the resort/hut... ;)

Best,

Michael

My suggestion is to not try to combine both Alpine(assumption) skiing and photography for safety reasons. Alpine skiing can generate considerable speeds and force upon falling and small hard object even with some padding can result in injury. I XC ski a lot and don't carry any of my M's or Nikon's. If I want to do photography i plan out on how to reach the spots and either hike in or very carefully ski to intended places using a small Arcteryx pack with one camera and a lens or two depending on the area I want to photograph. Even XC skiing can generate speeds and forces that can cause injury.

There is an interesting App for the iPhone that allows one to attach iPhone photos to a GPS generated route of your days skiing so that when recalling the route the appropriate picture is shown at the correct spot on the route review.

I don't use it in XC skiing because the energy output is mostly constant and there is little standing around admiring the view.-Dick

• 4 years later...
I normally store and tote around my M9 and 4 lens in a art and artisan shoulder bag which I love, but now that it's ski season where I live I would love to be able to take my M9 and a couple lens with me. I have looked at some was it packs but not sure how comfortable they are when sitting on a chairlift or skiing down the mountain, so I thought what about a backpack. Most backpacks I see from the big guys, temba, tamrac, etc are all designed for full sized dslr's. I was thinking about this pack from click elite:

Clik Elite Camera Back Packs | ClikElite

but was wondering if anyone else had some suggestions.

I want something small of course, slim, but well built, padded etc.

Thanks

I use the compact sport and love it! The camera bag portion holds all my gear comfortably and safely. This camera backpack is also really comfortable and is able to hold a 2 liter bladder. I took this pack up Angels Landing in Zion Canyon last week and hardly noticed I had it on.

Here is one out of left field. Goruck makes some extremely well made bags that don't stick out a mile from your back. But they need an insert to hold your gear. The GR1 bag houses either a Hadley Pro insert as though it was made for it. Also, the thinner F-stop ICU's fit quite nicely.

Quite smart looking. Doesn't look like either a camera or schoolkid's bag.

Pricey but so versatile.

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently using two backpacks, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813351-REG/Tenba_637_332_Discovery_Large_Photo_Laptop_Daypack.html and http://www.filson.com/products/rucksack.70262.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=luggage/rucksacks-and-backpacks&fmetaProduct=1019/ with the padded insert from my Billingham Hadley Pro inserted in it.  These work well for me, with the Tenba being my choice if I am traveling and want to bring my entire kit while the Filson is my choice for day trips with a smaller amount of gear.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Crumpler backpacks (they seem to change model very slightly, but change the name completely, every year or so) are the only ones that I have found that seem to be made for smaller lenses; the compartment height in the bags designed for DSLRs tends to be too big to keep the smaller lenses snug and not rattling around.