Leica 35mm F/2.5 Summarit M or Zeiss ZM Biogon?

bherman01545

Matter of tastes of course but the 35/1.4 FLE has sharper bokeh around f/2 f/2.8 than the 35/2 asph to the point that i must often correct my FLE pics in PP which is more or less painful actually so i end up using the FLE indoor at f/1.4 mainly. I am fortunate enough to have both lenses but if i was allowed one "fast sharp" 35mm lens only i would probably choose the 35/2 asph for this reason and because it is significantly smaller than the FLE. Those interested may wish to test their copy in person though as some 35/2 asph copies seem to suffer from focus shift. FWIW.

• Like 2

Hmmmm.....  I just noticed that I have thinned my 35mm WA lenses to two: a Cron and a Summaron 2.8 w/ears.  I haven't used the Summaron in years.  I guess I really like the Cron.  All kidding aside, the best landscapes and infinity photos I have ever taken were w/the 35mm Summicron M ASPH - it is truly a great lens. Regards, ron

• Like 1

I've never used a Summarit.  The Zeiss 32/f2 was incredible on my M6.  I sold it to fund a 35 'cron ASPH and I actually regret it.  While i prefer the handling of the cron the image quality from the Zeiss is better.

This is my experience as well:  I tested two different samples of the 'cron ASPH versus 2 samples of the Biogon f2 (also against my Ultron 1.7 ltm).  The Biogons consistently out-resolved the 'crons and showed no measurable focus shift.  The Summicrons had huge amounts of focus shift.  My Ultron did very well:  Sharpness between the two and zero focus shift.  It also had the best bokeh.  The bad parts of the Ultron were chromatic aberrations and .9M close focus.  

I bought a Biogon f2, don't regret skipping the Summicron, and can't bring myself to sell my Ultron ltm.